Gregans Castle Hotel
$96
$157
$152
Hotels.com
The Hydro Hotel(Lisdoonvarna)(Great Value!)
$100
$219
$169
$150
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmanor housecorkscrew barafternoon teatasting menudining roomcourse dinnerdrawing roommichelin starjunior suitefour poster beddining experiencewalking tourold housesouffleprivate gardenpeat firetwo nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 26, 2006

When my family went to Ireland in 2004, this hotel was our first stop on our jaunt. And a better introduction to Ireland I could not imagine. From the welcoming smell of the peat fire in the fireplace, to the amazing staff...this place was perfect. We stayed here for 2 wonderful nights and the staff genuinely got to know us during our stay. We had our own table set aside for all our meals, and the servers made us feel at home. The rooms were small, but beautiful and cozy. The beds were wonderfully comfortable. The grounds are beautiful. The meals were great. What more could anyone want.

Located near the amazing Burren, it was the perfect location. Our only regret was that we did not plan a longer stay here.

We will stay here again, but for a much longer stay. Take my advice: fly into Shannon and stay here for a long relaxing stay.

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled with family
2  Thank jennifero2
Reviewed September 16, 2006

This is an absolutely amazing place if you just want to relax away from it all. With no television in the rooms and a code against the constant and increasingly common buzzings of mobile phones, you are certain to feel everyday stress just fall away - once you get used to the quiet.

The overall atmosphere is one of entering a stately, effortlessly elegant, but relaxed private home. The staff is unobtrusive but very friendly and ready to chat if you seem to be in the mood. Otherwise they will just stay quietly in the background.

The grounds are lovely, food is excellent (including a very good breakfast) and rooms are elegant, with beautiful views. I stayed in Mina's Room and would just loved to have been able to take the whole bathroom home with me. And the colour scheme of muted grey/blue/green and gold I am considering copying for home.

The surroundings are astounding, and Gregan's is well situated for long walks in the Burrens and even better for long bike rides. If you bike, the famed Cliffs of Moher are within distance.

However, this is not a place to go if you want lots of life, entertainment and like to be in the center of things. It is quite far to the nearest town if you want to walk - half an hours brisk walking should get you there, although you can also borrow bikes - and the quietness of the place, which is a blessing to me, may seem like a curse to others. But I am just dying to go back so I can wake up to the warbling of a robin and the gentle mewing of cows.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
5  Thank moratt
Reviewed September 13, 2006

Our trip to Gregans was only for one night, but we wish our itinerary would have allowed for longer. The staff was very accomodating and our room was lovely with a long distance view of the bay. This property is located with views of the Burren, ( I can only imagine how beautiful it would be in the spring), and is approx 14 mile drive to the Cliffs of Moher - a must see if you are in the area! Internet access is available upon request. The breakfast was quite plentiful and delicious, but was not included in our room charge. The dining room was lovely with separate seating for each couple/family. We would definitely return!

Stayed: September 2006
3  Thank Ozblossom
Reviewed August 20, 2006

Not your typical Irish castle, but a cross between a small castle and a New England country inn. (Sorry, teens, no internet and no television, so bring your books, a deck of cards or a game of chess and your cameras!)
Beautifully appointed inside and out, magnficent gardens, views of rolling farmlands and the Burren, minutes from the caves and the profumerie. This was one of the highlights of our trip, with excellent staff, warm and inviting rooms, all first class accomodations with wonderful views. A fine collection of art and books for your perusal and an extraordinary chef in the kitchen. Wonderful selection of wines and champagnes to accompany your sublime meals. ~First class cuisine in a first class hotel in a magical setting.
We will be back!

2  Thank FairfieldCounty
Reviewed August 7, 2006

My husband and I have just returned from a trip to Ireland. The main reason for our trip was business but as a treat and a very late birthday surprise he booked our last nights at this lovely hotel. We have stayed all over Ireland in the past but never in the burren and never at Gregans. Our loss! In the last few years we have been all over Ireland for business and pleasure and have been increasingly dissapointed by the standards of accomodation on offer.Not here. From our arrival into a gorgeous candlelit hall with a blazing fire(on a summer evening too) to our departure 3 days later it was magical. My husband thinks I am a clean freak and Gregans was a joy. From fabulous bed linen and the largest towels I have seen in a hotel yet, lots of lovely toiletries and a really stylish room, to some of the best food I have eaten in Ireland; we were truely spoiled. The staff and owners here are very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. A perfect mix of competence and friendliness which is hard to find. My husband stumbled across this hotel by accident online and I have to say, we are sorry we didn't find it earlier. AND, it only took us a bit over an hour to get to the airport in Shannon. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business