I have just returned from a stay at The Hylands hotel and it was without doubt the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel.
The room was basic but clean enough which we didnt mind as we were only staying for one night. We dined with family at a nearby restaurant and when we returned around midnight our room was nice and warm. However during the night the heating was turned off and we woke up to a freezing cold room. What was worse was that there was was absolutely no hot water, not even the kind of cold you could take for a few minutes - it was baltic!
I rang down to reception and I was told the tank had been drained but should heat up soon so we decided to go down for breakfast first. Breakfast we were told finished at 10am and this was 9am. Buffet style?? No orange juice, scraps of brown bread and a cereal was all that was on offer so we ordered a hot breakfast. Service was extremely slow as there was only one person serving the entire room which was also freezing, we had to ask a few times for tea and a jug of milk. The final straw was when I ordered more toast and there was a large amount of mould on the bread.
When we returned to the room the water was still freezing so we left cold and unwashed. I did complain at reception and the girl was apologetic but said that alot of guests were obviously showering at the one time hence the lack of warm water! Not good enough, a shower is not a luxury but a necessity - every hotel in the world has hot water. Upon checkout I did not pay the €90 but paid €50 which it was all it was worth - the first time I have ever done this!
I will definitely not be returning which is a pity considering the beautiful location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the picturesque village of Ballyvaughan, Co. Clare which is the mid point of the Wild Atlantic Way, the Hylands Burren Hotel is family owned and managed by the Quinn family. Our team at the Hylands Burren is completely customer focused and a "nothing is too much attitude" prevails throughout the hotel. A warm welcome of an open fire mixed with the tranquility of bygone charm and traditional Irish hospitality will greet you upon arrival at the Hylands Burren Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, HRS, Priceline, Cancelon, Agoda, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Hylands Burren Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Hylands Burren
- Hylands Burren Ballyvaughan
- Hylands Burren Hotel Ballyvaughan, Ireland - The Burren