“Great Food, Great Value, Great Staff - Fantastic Find!”
Review of An Fulacht Fia - CLOSED

An Fulacht Fia
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Spent a wonderful evening spent in An Fulacht Fia last Saturday.
I had phoned early on Saturday ( although I wasn't even sure I would get talking to someone in a restaurant in the early morning!) I spoke with a very friendly chatty lady who told us there was no need to a make reservation. On a cold wet evening after been blown about from all directions on the Cliffs of Moher, the restaurant was a haven of warmth - both in atmosphere and with the beautiful fire. This is a fantastic restaurant - delicious locally produced food at fair prices, friendly, efficient staff and no paddywhackery going on - it's the real deal and was the absolute hightlight of our few days in Clare! The only regret is that I didn't take up the bed and breakfast offer on the restaurant website. We stayed in an award winning castle hotel just outside Ballyvaughan which has many accolades and which frankly I think has forgotten all about customer service. We were delighted we did not opt for their tasting menu and ventured out into the wintry evening to dine in An Fulacht Fia instead! Best wishes for continued success and keep up the excellent work!

3  Thank Rhona R

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Obviously we had to go to this sleek restaurant. We were staying in a cottage five or six homes down and had to see what everyone was raving about. We dined there on a Tuesday night so it wasn't very busy and the waitress/hostess gave us her full attention. The chef sent out a tasting, crab and shrimp cake. An exciting taste of things to come. We first shared an appetizer, salt and pepper fried prawns. YUM! We both had to have the duck...it sounded so good nothing else would do. We wern't dissapointed, the breast was incredibly juicy and tender, the leg and thigh awesome. They came with a black cherry reduction with thinly sliced onions. The vegetables were perfectly seasoned and obviously local.

There wine list was lengthy with a good price range. We did not have dessert simply because we had no room!

2  Thank mizjudypoody1
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

We had dinner here following the recommendation of our innkeeper. We were delighted by the elegance of the dining room, the attention to detail in every aspect of the food preparation , and the excellent and attentive service. The menu is varied by the availability of ingredients and each dish is prepared to order, so food allergies or other dietary issues are not a problem. Cannot rave enough about this restaurant.

1  Thank nonnagumpy
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Went here at the end of our two week Ireland trip, looking for a change from the (mostly good, but a little monotonous) pub food. An Fulacht Fia far exceeded our expectations, and gave us a dining experience to rival any we've had in the last year, anywhere.

The restaurant is large (seats 80 if I recall correctly) and only a few years old. Decor is modern, tasteful, and upscale, seating is comfortable, tables well spaced. The restaurant is situated on the spectacular coast road running north and west from Ballyvaughan to Black Head and Fanore, and most of the tables have a view over Galway bay to Connemara (weather permitting, of course). We enjoyed excellent service throughout the evening, though it was a quiet evening in September and the room was mostly empty so I can't speak for what it's like in the summer.

The food was uniformly excellent. We shared an appetizer, crab in puff pastry; I had duck (the breast was seared medium rare precisely as I had ordered it, and the sauce was subtle enough not to overwhelm the dish); my wife had a similarly pleasant experience with her guinea hen. Entrees were accompanied by sides of roast potatoes and vegetables, plain but well prepared, and perhaps a little homier that the surroundings and menu would have suggested. We finished with a shared dessert of chocolate mousse. Overall I though portions were generous. Best of all, the wine list, while not long, was well chosen & included a number of interesting, inexpensive bottles. For just a few euros more than we had paid elsewhere for plonk, we enjoyed a great bottle of cru Beaujolais. Overall, heartily recommended.

5  Thank reluctantconsultant
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I had dinner here on the last night of our Ireland vacation. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful trip! We were pleasantly surprised at the sophistication and quality of the service, food, wine, and atmosphere. The view, the fireplace, the decor-all were wonderful! Highly recommend it!

2  Thank Mary S