“Long Live the Boathouse, 5 Stars all round to Rudi and his Team”
Review of The Boathouse - CLOSED

The Boathouse
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Superb line-caught Trout, Pork Belly with Scallops, the best Seafood Chowder anywhere... This is my second review of the Boathouse and I find no reason to award less than 5 stars in any relevant category. To be honest I'd give it 6 if I could. Rudi and his entire team (special mention to Evan, a superb waiter) know exactly how to provide an amazing meal at a reasonable price with industry-leading standards of service. I don't know why there aren't queues down the street for the Boathouse any evening it's open! People of Galway, whether you're as far away as Clifden or Ballinasloe, make your way to Oranmore, as any journey would be worth it. We're blessed to live on the doorstep of this absolute gem but would gladly drive for hours to enjoy another meal here.

I should declare a small bias, as having favourably reviewed the last time, Rudi ensured our party of four adults had a chilled glass of crisp and fruity Prosecco waiting for us when we arrived - a much appreciated touch of class. I'm not touting for more favours upon our next visit by reviewing again, I simply had to do what I could to give this Restaurant its due. If you like Chowder but are frequently disappointed by the gluey offerings you've received in many places, the Boathouse will not just restore your faith in this dish, it'll put it right back up near the top of your all-time favourite things to order. I'd have eaten three bowls, indeed all courses served were top class and thoroughly enjoyed by the four of us.

Will be back again and again as frequently as our eating-out budget allows!

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had heard the local rumours of their exquisite venison, a group of locals were then overheard by me discussing the scallops starters, that is when my curiosity was peaked. A quick discussion with my wife, baby sitter ordered and friends invited. The scallops were so good I ordered another portion instead of desert. One of companions ordered a main course size of the starters, it was a scallop feast, I salivate at this moment whilst writing this piece. They come out on a slate plate, with sea foam and flotsam surrounding. It reminds me of my favorite poem by Milligan: " I need to go to the sea shore, the lonely sea and sky. I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they are dry." My wife and I need to return to the boathouse.....

Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is a gem of a restaurant. Modern, exciting, innovative and creative food served in lovely surroundings. Had the scallop starter - generous portion of perfectly cooked scallops. Main was the surf and turf - more perfectly cooked scallops, pork belly (slightly overdone for my liking, but this is a matter of personal preference, with amazing black pudding). Other guests had the chowder, monkfish, duck. All a cut above what you'd expect. One or two of the guests thought the portions small - but I couldn't agree. This was delicious food cooked by a talented kitchen, at a reasonable price, and with perfect attention to detail. Even the selection of vegetables served with dinner were far above the norm. Great to see a chef serving that most delicious of vegetables - turnip - as part of the selection. Oh, and wonderful freshly cooked bread and proper butter served with the starters.

Visit this restaurant. Oranmore is lucky to have it. It's this new generation of chef who takes wonderful Irish ingredients and does great things with them. Would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had the pleasure of a relaxing mid week lunch at the boathouse last Wednesday. I ordered the tolouse sausage and my friend had Thai chicken, both meals were superb. We didn't order starters but were given a small soup and delicious fresh sour dough and brown bread that was fresh from the oven. Desert was shared, pavalova with berries and roasted nuts, amazing combination. Top class food and service at an amazing price. A gem of a place for a relaxing lunch getaway. Can't wait to go for dinner. Well done boathouse

Reviewed May 7, 2013

On Sunday 29th last, my wife and I attended the boathouse restaurant to use a grabone voucher we had recently purchased. I ordered the Cod and chips (my wife the beef) and found when it arrived there was just one portion of Cod. I thought this unusual and found it odd when the people at the next table ordered the cod and received two portions. My wife’s portion of beef was a little on the small side also.
I can only conclude that I received the one portion of cod due to the fact that I had a grabone voucher (which I was asked twice about - upon booking and arriving).
So it seems the case to give out smaller portions with deal vouchers in this resturant which is a pitty has its quite nice.. i tried to contact them about it.. but it seems there contact page on website keeps giving an error..

Anthony P, Head Chef at The Boathouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Nellys2013,
i can assure you that it is not our policy to treat our voucher users any differently to our regular customers, this can be shown by previous reviewers who were all voucher users;“Very good food excellent service in a lovely setting”,“One boat-trip I will take again!!”,“Wonderful Food, Superb Service, Michelin Star for Oranmore?!”
i am very dissapointed that you thought our portion sizes were small, we only use fresh atlantic cod for our fish and chips for sunday lunch, each piece of cod is 7oz the customer who got two pieces would have got cod fillet from the tail which we cut in two to stop it over cooking.our beef is always prime irish sirloin with fresh yorkshire pudding, pomme puree and our red wine jus that uses our beef stock that we would have gladly rectified any of these issues on the day had you brought them to the attention of your waitress.
we hope that your experience has not put you off returning to the restaurant we are looking into the issues on the website and thank you for bringing them to our attention.
yours sincerely,