“Exciting, modern Irish food in lovely surroundings.”
Review of The Boathouse - CLOSED

The Boathouse
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dublin, Ireland
“Exciting, modern Irish food in lovely surroundings.”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is a gem of a restaurant. Modern, exciting, innovative and creative food served in lovely surroundings. Had the scallop starter - generous portion of perfectly cooked scallops. Main was the surf and turf - more perfectly cooked scallops, pork belly (slightly overdone for my liking, but this is a matter of personal preference, with amazing black pudding). Other guests had the chowder, monkfish, duck. All a cut above what you'd expect. One or two of the guests thought the portions small - but I couldn't agree. This was delicious food cooked by a talented kitchen, at a reasonable price, and with perfect attention to detail. Even the selection of vegetables served with dinner were far above the norm. Great to see a chef serving that most delicious of vegetables - turnip - as part of the selection. Oh, and wonderful freshly cooked bread and proper butter served with the starters.

Visit this restaurant. Oranmore is lucky to have it. It's this new generation of chef who takes wonderful Irish ingredients and does great things with them. Would recommend to anyone.

• Visited May 2013

Galway
“Superb in every way”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had the pleasure of a relaxing mid week lunch at the boathouse last Wednesday. I ordered the tolouse sausage and my friend had Thai chicken, both meals were superb. We didn't order starters but were given a small soup and delicious fresh sour dough and brown bread that was fresh from the oven. Desert was shared, pavalova with berries and roasted nuts, amazing combination. Top class food and service at an amazing price. A gem of a place for a relaxing lunch getaway. Can't wait to go for dinner. Well done boathouse

• Visited May 2013
Galway, Ireland
“Nice - but with deal vouchers they give out smaller poritions...”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

On Sunday 29th last, my wife and I attended the boathouse restaurant to use a grabone voucher we had recently purchased. I ordered the Cod and chips (my wife the beef) and found when it arrived there was just one portion of Cod. I thought this unusual and found it odd when the people at the next table ordered the cod and received two portions. My wife’s portion of beef was a little on the small side also.
I can only conclude that I received the one portion of cod due to the fact that I had a grabone voucher (which I was asked twice about - upon booking and arriving).
So it seems the case to give out smaller portions with deal vouchers in this resturant which is a pitty has its quite nice.. i tried to contact them about it.. but it seems there contact page on website keeps giving an error..

• Visited April 2013
Anthony P, Head Chef at The Boathouse, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Nellys2013,
i can assure you that it is not our policy to treat our voucher users any differently to our regular customers, this can be shown by previous reviewers who were all voucher users;“Very good food excellent service in a lovely setting”,“One boat-trip I will take again!!”,“Wonderful Food, Superb Service, Michelin Star for Oranmore?!”
i am very dissapointed that you thought our portion sizes were small, we only use fresh atlantic cod for our fish and chips for sunday lunch, each piece of cod is 7oz the customer who got two pieces would have got cod fillet from the tail which we cut in two to stop it over cooking.our beef is always prime irish sirloin with fresh yorkshire pudding, pomme puree and our red wine jus that uses our beef stock that we would have gladly rectified any of these issues on the day had you brought them to the attention of your waitress.
we hope that your experience has not put you off returning to the restaurant we are looking into the issues on the website and thank you for bringing them to our attention.
yours sincerely,

Anthony
Galway, Ireland
“Outstanding”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I love this restaurant. Really the food is outstanding. The service is wonderful efficient and SO friendly. There had been a problem with heating, but that is rectified now as it is always warm and cosy. We had a family lunch there last week ( speical occasion ) and it was just wonderful. They had a fire on , candles lit and everything looked so inviting. They have also renoveated a back room that they use when they are busy. This is usually reserved for private functions...it is just beautifully and tastefully decorated...and we were not forgotten at all in terms of service
( which has been my experience sometimes at other restaurants when you are in a function room ). This restaurant is a true find, and worth the trip from the other side of town !

• Visited April 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Prepare to be Delighted and Impressed”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had the good fortune of recently being taken out for a beautiful evening in the Boathouse, Oranmore. It’s rare for me to want to take the time to write a review but after such a wonderful experience I have to share the good word!

Every element of our dining experience at the Boathouse was nothing short of superb. To begin, the most obvious aspect, the food. Each course was presented as a carefully constructed dish, well-rounded, with complex flavours. It’s clear that behind this menu is a chef who really understands food and how to showcase the very best qualities of each ingredient -- expertly interwoven so as to enhance and complement each other and best of all in exciting, modern combinations.

The wasabi salmon starter was nothing short of perfection. Delicious to taste with an incredible texture in your mouth; somewhere between a plump fresh flesh that then melted away to a velvety, whipped buttery feeling. Despite the varied and tempting selection of meat dishes, I opted next for a fish main; a fresh cod dish infused with delicate hazelnut flavours – yet another stunning combination I had never before imagined but now crave. After a “pause” for digestion (most perfectly timed by our attentive table staff) we finished with a marvellous treat of café gourmand. Rich and luxurious coffee accompanied by exquisite petit four desserts, the undoubted favourite being a crème brulée so perfect that it would make even une vraie francaise water at the mouth and weak at the knees. Every stage of our meal was presented with flair, precision and aesthetic creativity.

The superb quality of our dining experience, based purely on the food, would have in itself been more than enough to lure me eagerly back to the Boathouse but what made this restaurant stand out for me was the excellent team of people and the atmosphere they succeed in creating. The level of contagious enthusiasm, team cohesion and collective commitment shared by the entire staff of the Boathouse was impossible to overlook. Every member of the team, no matter what their individual role, was so friendly and welcoming, greeting us with genuine smiles and open ears. Subtly observant of the rhythm of our meal, they seemed to appear on cue as if by magic and pre-empt any of our requests and then just as easily, quietly slip away so as not to interrupt the privacy of our evening.

The front of house manager lead by example, completely and expertly focused on ensuring the customer had the best experience possible. When we arrived into the Boathouse, instead of being rushed into the first available table, as is so typically the case, she offered us the option of a short wait so as to be seated at one of the best tables in the house. The choice was entirely up to us, without being put under any duress or rush and I’m glad we chose to wait the extra few minutes. How refreshing it was to be looked after in a manner that was purely driven by a desire to give us, the customer, the very best the restaurant had to offer..instead of merely being treated as walking credit cards as I have, unfortunately, so often experienced in other establishments!

Not only was the front of house right on point but the behind the scenes magic of the kitchen team took customer service to the next level too. Later on during our evening, I watched as the head chef, after a few moments of thoughtful observation from the edges of the dining room, proceeded to work his way around the entire suite of tables and various different parties. Irrespective of the late hour of the evening with all meals already served to the contentment of the customers, here was a chef so committed that he had not yet switched-off. He proceeded to speak quietly, attentively, personally with every table in the room looking to better understand his clients’ experience; what they enjoyed, what they felt could perhaps be different, answering any questions and talking so passionately and enthusiastically about the food throughout. He treated each table as individuals; striking a perfect balance of engagement when the customer wished to chat or instead politely retiring, without intrusion when they preferred to continue with their evening uninterrupted. Here was a chef eagerly listening to his clientele and actively soliciting their feedback. This was not an exercise of merely “going through the motions” but someone making real eye contact, listening intently and concentrating on the reactions of his customers. How often does that actually happen these days? It struck me that it is all too rare. With a chef taking this approach in leading his kitchen, is it any wonder that the dining experience offered by the Boathouse is of such high calibre?

In my opinion the Boathouse is an outstanding find, a credit to Oranmore and one of a long overdue new wave of Irish restaurants that focus on quality of product, excellence of execution and truly understand the complexities and importance of real customer service. This restaurant is the complete package at a more than reasonable price for their product. I would unreservedly recommend the Boathouse to anyone and am looking forward to my own next visit. Thank you to the entire team for a magnificent evening of wonderful memories.

• Visited March 2013