“Great value”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We ate here on our way to Mayo and it was well worth it. The staff were very helpful and service was quick and efficient. The food was really good too. We have eaten here before and will definitely do so again. A bonus for any Only Fools and Horses fans is the Trotters Van parked outside - great for photos!!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We came into Raftery's Rest because nothing else was open. We were not thrilled to stop in as the outside was not really inviting (it did not look like the picture above). We were seated by a girl who was very obviously ready to go home. I understand she was tired, but you have to fake it. She barely spoke when she sat us and retreated into a side room quite quickly. We sat without service (even with at least 3 people walking by several times) for at least 10 minutes, without even being greeted for a drink order. Our table was not hidden so there was no excuse to be ignored. After we got to place our order, which at that time we knew what food we wanted as well, we again waited for our drinks longer than necessary. After we received our food, no one checked on us at all. The only interaction we had staff after receiving our food was after we sat unattended and finally went up to pay to leave. The same young girl who was eager to leave that seated us was chatting with an older gentleman as we were standing waiting to be acknowledged at the bar. Finally, she very frustrated-like, tossed her stuff down (she was packed ready to go) and unhappily assisted us. The service here was probably the worst we'd received in this whole trip.

As I said, I understand being tired and ready to go home, but until you set foot outside of the doors and are off the clock, you smile and fake it. I will just allow myself to believe this restaurant was having an off night and that our experience would have been different any other day.

1  Thank WannaBeAnIrishGirl
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Great food but shocking service, 20 minutes left after main courses and drinks finished, eat here regularly because we live locally, 4 staff behind bar and not 1 on the floor, just paid at bar and left, even though wanted desert and more drinks, and sadly owner/manager there watching all this. Race week upon us, they really need to up there game, because customer service is shocking,

1  Thank Kellford
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Travelling form Galway to Limerick recently we decided to stop in Kilcolgan for a bite to eat. We stopped into Rafterys Rest, our first time there. The atmosphere was warm and inviting. We were met by a very courteous gentleman who offered us a choice of tables. The menu was varied and good the value. The food was excellent, all our party agreed on that. But what we most noticed was the friendliness of the staff. We were impressed all round.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were recommended a visit to Raferty's Rest by a local. Must have been a relative!
Outside it looked inviting with lots of cars...always a good sign. Table was sticky and wet. we asked for it to be cleaned. j cloth produced. i dried the tale with a serviette and the crud that came off the table was disgusting! Menu was limited enough but I fancied the fillet steak as a treat. Husband ordered fish and chips. I was not offered a choice of sauce and when the waitress repeated our order back, she thought I wanted the steak well done. I corrected her to medium!
Food arrived ominously quickly. Child's meal was fine. My husband found the fish batter very greasy and the chips were mediocre. My steak, at a cost of €22.50, was small and served on an unappetising bed of semi cooked onions. Three sorry looking French fried onions in one corner, at some mushrooms lurking underneath. I was brought no sauce and had to ask for it, and the bowl of chips had that grey look about them! No seasoning on anything! Steak was ok onions in edible. Best thing on the plate was mushrooms after a shake of salt and a grind of pepper!
I felt ripped off for at these prices surely someone could peel a potato and fry a real chip, or shake some salt in the direction of the food! Sorry we won't be back!

1  Thank Aranvale