“Very good value”
Review of Pearla na Mara

Pearla na Mara
Ranked #5 of 20 Restaurants in Oranmore
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Pearla na Mara Cafe-Restaurant was born from the love of high quality food and proudly endorses the principles of 'slow food' movement. We invite you to visit our friendly and relaxed venue in the heart of Oranmore, where you can choose from an attractive and affordable menu that caters to a wide variety of tastes. Pearla na Mara is proud to offer Irish-inspired cuisine with a Mediterranean touch in our restaurant in Oranmore. We blend this heritage with the freshness and authenticity of the finest ingredients, locally sourced in the West and delivered daily to our restaurant, to create a unique quality and pleasurable experience for our customers. To preserve the purest taste, everything is cooked to order. The restaurant also endeavours to cater for many special dietary requirements (in particular gluten-free diet). We are open every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Great simple food- lots of choice. Good quality ingredients- great pasta choices. Very very good value for money!

Reviewed June 6, 2014

5 of us went for a meal last night and all 5 of us will be back. brought our own beer and wine and that helped hugely as we all are struggling away financially right now! the corkage fee is very acceptable! the waitress was so nice.. kind and helpful...there always when we needed her but not in our faces either. she was just brilliant. food was so tasty..we all had pasta and we all loved it...excellent ceasar salad too and we loved the half portion size of pasta. we will be back

Reviewed May 28, 2014

A big thank you to Justine and the team for a wonderful culinary experience on Saturday 26th May. There were six of us ladies together, my Mum and her three daughters plus two good friends. We were celebrating 3 May birthdays, a 20th wedding anniversary.I was impressed with the quality of food which was equal to any good restaurant I have visited (London or otherwise). The fresh pasta crabmeat starter is highly recommended along with the accompanying salad it comes with which was out of this world in terms of flaour and texture. The spring lamb main corse was delicious and flavoursome as was the duck which my friend had. The €5 wine corkage per table is exceptional value (warning - don't take along too much wine!), The menu itself is not exactly cheap but not overly expensive either.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

From time to time I have visited Oranmore in Co. Galway during the past 3 years. I like to try local foods in owener managed restaurants. There are some good restaurants in this general region, many known for their seafood or for their Italian cuisine. Pearla na Mara run by a husband and wife team are trying hard to offer good cuisine. It was slow to start, but over the past 2 years it have improved immensely.
The first impression is the attractive decor with good table spacing. The second impression is the friendly welcome you receive from the co-owner waitress. I liked the limited but varied menu. The fish and the steak dishes were particularily delicious. I must confess that I look for value for money when I go to a restaurant as long as the food is good. The prices are average, not too expensive, but not rock bottom cheap either. I agree with the policy of bring your own drink and pay corkage, as many of the wines I like may not be on the menu or alternatively over priced super market wines, The corkage at E5 is acceptable to me. I invited family and friends to a birthday celebration there and all were very satisfied with the food and the many bottles of wine we brought with us. I found the restaurant friendly, cosy, and good quality.
I noticed that the kitchen has a regular take away business which surprised me. Our local taxi driver confirmed to us later, that he frequently has been asked to pick up dishes at this restaurant for local clientele,

Reviewed May 18, 2014

I have never written a restaurant review before now, but my experience this afternoon in Péarla na Mara was so ridiculously terrible that I felt I just had to something!

My fiance, my parents and I visited here earlier today after I had read all of the good reviews about it online. We should have guessed the minute we walked in that it was a bad idea as the place was empty.

We were seated anyway at a tiny table that somehow managed to fit 4 people. We all ordered from the Sunday Lunch menu, my father and I ordered steak, my fiance the fish and chips, and my mother the salmon.

When ordering his fish and chips, my fiance asked could he substitute the mushy peas that came with the dish with a small salad instead. He was promptly told "oh the peas are so tiny it doesn't make it a difference". In other words, "no, you can't". My fiance then asked to leave the peas out altogether as he doesn't eat them.

When ordering her salmon, my mother was asked if she wanted "chips or salad or veg&mash". That's right folks, in restaurants all over the Ireland the standard side options are "veg&mash OR salad&chips" but not here! So she opted for the side salad.

We should have cut our losses and left at this point as I knew it was only going to get worse.

So my fiance's fish & chips arrived and I swear to God it looked smaller than a child's portion. We counted 9 chips in total and a slither of battered fish. It was truly shocking that someone would present a paying customer with this.

My mother's wasn't much better as a piece of salmon with lettuce on the side. She remarked how you would really expect something more substantial for a "Sunday Lunch".

My fiance finished his measly meal in about 15 seconds and called the waitress over to complain. He asked her for more chips and she responded "another portion is it?" to which he explained "no, just more chips for my original dish. It was like a child's portion. I ate it in 15 seconds, this isn't good enough." To which she replied "oh sorry, there's nothing I can do". He then asked to speak to the manager, and lo and behold the manager is also the chef!! Go figure.

So my fiance and my mother both went ahead and ordered two more portions of chips each as they were still starving! Chips came about 15 mins later only half cooked. By now our impression of the place was so far down the toilet we just wanted to finish and leave.

But a note on my own dish, the steak tasted like a standard steak, but the vegetables were 100% bland and cooked from frozen. I grow my own vegetables so I am very aware of how things should taste.

After all that, we were well and truly berating ourselves over our unfortunate choice of eatery and kicking ourselves we didn't go to Keane's pub on the corner.

To summarise: my impression of this restaurant is that they are the most incompetent establishment posing as an eatery I have ever had the misfortune in visiting.

The manager is the chef for crying out loud. Instead of being out on the floor making sure his patrons are satisfied he is in the back cooking sub-standard food.

The waitresses are either terrible at their jobs or are aware that changes/complaints about the dishes will not be tolerated by the chef, and therefore play the "sorry, that's just how it is" card.
It's just unbelievable!

I've eaten in a LOT of restaurants, and I've worked in a few too, and I have never come across such a desperate place as "Péarla na Mara".

AVOID this place if you have any bit of self-respect and actually LIKE how your food tastes.

7  Thank Honest P
CuriosaGalway, Owner at Pearla na Mara, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your visit and taking the time to write the review. I am sorry to read that you rate your experience in Péarla na Mara so low and apologise if things were not handled to your satisfaction. I do not wish to dispute the statements contained in your review, however, based on the interview of my staff and after having examined till records, there is a number of inconsistencies in your review.

We define our establishment as gourmet, as opposed to "pub grub" and the size of portions is conceived in such way as to allow customers to enjoy a starter, main course and dessert.
Let me also point out that the choice of side orders for lunch menu (or any other menu) is duly advertised in the window and on our website; customers are free to consult the menus before entering our premises.

Everything, including vegetables and chips, is cooked to order and vegetables are definitely fresh.

I would also like to emphasise that we have been trading for 3 years and regular customers constitute around 85% of our business, with many people returning on a daily basis and even several times a day, therefore I believe that neither our food, nor our service is so substandard as your review implies.

Sincerely yours,