“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Oranmore
Cork, Ireland
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Arrived for a 2 night weekend stay in April. Girl on reception who checked us in was lovely, very informative about where things were in the hotel and opening and closing times of leisure centre, bar, restaurant etc. Our room was lovely and warm and the bed was comfortable. The decor is fitting with the style of the hotel. On our first night we ate in the bar, nice atmosphere and excellent bar staff. The second night we had intended to eat somewhere else but due to the horrible weather we decided to stay in the hotel so this time we dined in the restaurant. The food was excellent and decent sized portions. Both days the breakfast could not be faulted. Overall an excellent hotel with pleasant staff, will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Very nice hotel , the staff were very helpful and frendly, the food in the restaurant was excellent. and good value. Nice for a relaxing break but not very lively, within walking distance to the village of Oranmore. Small shopping centre just outside hotel. Did not use the pool facilities but it looked very nice.

Room Tip: Try to get a room to the front of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Southern Missouri
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed 2 nights with a group. The location is not convenient at all and no view. The staff were rather snooty for no reason. Dinners were good and breakfast was quite nice. Rooms totally bland. I wouldn't return.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Miss0uriM0m
Ireland
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Had a Family Sunday Dinner here. Good choice for meat eaters but no vegetarian option. That said, the waitress immediately said the chef would do vegetarian so that was fine. We found the price a little high at €25 for 3 course very ordinary Sunday Lunch. They also had the option of having just the 1 course at €17 or 2 courses for €20 . The Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble was bland and the cheesecake was the smallest portion I have seen in a while. The Food was ordinary but I did enjoy the potatoes and gravy which were good and tasted freshly made and from real food. It seems to be child friendly and the waitress was pleasant.
We found it to be average.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Galway, Galway, Ireland
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I have just returned from a family meal at the Oranmore lodge and as always it was beautiful. The food was, as usual fantastic and the hotel itself is always so clean,well maintained, inviting, (I love the vases of fresh flowers dotted around) cozy, and the atmosphere perfect for a relaxing chat.

The reason I felt the need to write this was because of the exceptional waiter Damian,I instantly remembered his excellent service from previous occassions.
Our party last visited the hotel maybe 2months ago and alongside recommending particular dishes to us he also remembered the name of the wine we had on our last visit!!! This staff member could not have been more genuinely helpful and attentive without being invasive or over the top.
Overall the Oranmore lodge is a beautiiful experience. You really are made to feel at home and invited to 'come in and relax' ...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The hotel was very quiet the weekend that we were there but I think in general there is a nice quiet ambiance about the place. It is a bit aged in places but then again I don't expect any hotel to be spending on things like that in the current times. The food is quite excellent and that goes for breakfast and dinner. You would not need to leave the hotel for food if you don't want to. The bar is probably not the cosiest of places to be but the Guiness was good so all is forgiven!

The leisure centre is pretty good an dthe gym is well equipped which is always a bonus. Oranmore is a quirky kind of place and if I was going back I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

This is a difficult one because overall I really can't bring myself to feel strongly about this hotel one way or the other. My wife and I and our second-born (1 year old) were in the area for a 2-day family gathering. Ultimately, this meant a late check-in and little time spent cumulatively in the hotel. We had checked in advance to be absolutely sure that they understood we needed a cot, and yet, upon check-in the room was cot-less and an already stressful late check-in was rendered as straightforward as a using the automated check-outs at a well-known international supermarket chain. Okay, no sweat. Lesson number 1 - ensure that your guests' special requirements are fulfilled.
In the morning our toddler takes to exploring the room and emerged from the bedside with a small cardboard box in his hands. Neither of us were paying too much attention to the provenance of this box until the word 'sex' caught my eye. Wonderful. It was an (empty) box for a utensil that a gentleman might wear during times of particular intimacy, which vibrates, and in doing do presumably renders his partner utterly speechless with enjoyment. Now, I'd be very disappointed in myself if I thought for one minute that I've become a prude - and yet to see my boy grasping this box really bowled me over. Even now I don't know whether to laugh about it or be outraged. Lesson number 2 - clean the rooms properly.
Finally, and again this makes me chuckle rather than fume, when starting the car and getting ready to set off from the hotel on the first morning I looked up to see the receptionist knocking on my window. Her problem, it transpired, was that she was concerned that I had not settled the bill and was concerned that I might be 'doing a runner'. Her enthusiasm was indeed laudable. However she quickly apologised when I told her that we hadn't checked-out and that we were staying another night. Lesson number 3 - know your guests; that way Basil Fawlty moments can be avoided.
Incidentally, when we did eventually check-out I brought the sex toy box to reception (well wrapped in toilet tissue) to explain our find and lest the hotel might form the opinion that it was ours. I must assume that the receptionist was highly embarrassed as she really didn't make much of a fuss about it save for a sincere apology.
Cripes! This review sounds harsh doesn't it? It really wasn't THAT bad - nothing a few small changes couldn't fix.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank HerodCork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranmore
Maldron Hotel Galway
#6 of 46 in Galway
Clayton Hotel Galway
Clayton Hotel Galway
#11 of 46 in Galway

Been to Oranmore Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!