“Doing a good job”

Oranmore Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Oranmore
“Doing a good job”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The hotel was very quiet the weekend that we were there but I think in general there is a nice quiet ambiance about the place. It is a bit aged in places but then again I don't expect any hotel to be spending on things like that in the current times. The food is quite excellent and that goes for breakfast and dinner. You would not need to leave the hotel for food if you don't want to. The bar is probably not the cosiest of places to be but the Guiness was good so all is forgiven!

The leisure centre is pretty good an dthe gym is well equipped which is always a bonus. Oranmore is a quirky kind of place and if I was going back I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Cork
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

This is a difficult one because overall I really can't bring myself to feel strongly about this hotel one way or the other. My wife and I and our second-born (1 year old) were in the area for a 2-day family gathering. Ultimately, this meant a late check-in and little time spent cumulatively in the hotel. We had checked in advance to be absolutely sure that they understood we needed a cot, and yet, upon check-in the room was cot-less and an already stressful late check-in was rendered as straightforward as a using the automated check-outs at a well-known international supermarket chain. Okay, no sweat. Lesson number 1 - ensure that your guests' special requirements are fulfilled.
In the morning our toddler takes to exploring the room and emerged from the bedside with a small cardboard box in his hands. Neither of us were paying too much attention to the provenance of this box until the word 'sex' caught my eye. Wonderful. It was an (empty) box for a utensil that a gentleman might wear during times of particular intimacy, which vibrates, and in doing do presumably renders his partner utterly speechless with enjoyment. Now, I'd be very disappointed in myself if I thought for one minute that I've become a prude - and yet to see my boy grasping this box really bowled me over. Even now I don't know whether to laugh about it or be outraged. Lesson number 2 - clean the rooms properly.
Finally, and again this makes me chuckle rather than fume, when starting the car and getting ready to set off from the hotel on the first morning I looked up to see the receptionist knocking on my window. Her problem, it transpired, was that she was concerned that I had not settled the bill and was concerned that I might be 'doing a runner'. Her enthusiasm was indeed laudable. However she quickly apologised when I told her that we hadn't checked-out and that we were staying another night. Lesson number 3 - know your guests; that way Basil Fawlty moments can be avoided.
Incidentally, when we did eventually check-out I brought the sex toy box to reception (well wrapped in toilet tissue) to explain our find and lest the hotel might form the opinion that it was ours. I must assume that the receptionist was highly embarrassed as she really didn't make much of a fuss about it save for a sincere apology.
Cripes! This review sounds harsh doesn't it? It really wasn't THAT bad - nothing a few small changes couldn't fix.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank HerodCork
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We recently spent two enjoyable days down in Galway in Oranmore.

Staying in the 4 Star Oranmore Lodge hotel. Rooms were clean and well kept and it was clear the hotel had recently been repainted and given a makeover.

Service was the number one feature , all of the staff we came contact with from Reception to Bar to Breakfast were excellent.

The lady on reception was os warm and welcoming and Samir in the bar was a character!

One slightly negative comment regarding the cooked brekfast was that it was average and not cooked to order. Menu choice slightly limited.

Leisure facilities were excellent in terms of pool and gym and staff very helpful.

Overall very good and enjoyable. Thank you to all at the hotel

Room Tip: Ask Reception !
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We called in on the off chance that they would have a room available for 1 night prior to going to the airport.
What a warm welcome we were greeted with, very helpful staff, food in the bar was very good but the Full English breakfast was not so good.
The room was very nice, comfortable beds but very cold, had to sleep with a top on all night. So they could do with turning up the heat a little.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johnjudypartridge
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Don't go there. Confronted with a line of customers checking in, why this took so long is baffling, you give all info online and then have to again, the first impression was poor, rude and unwelcoming receptionist. Food poor. Some friendly staff. Rooms old fashioned. This hotel promises much more than it delivers. Don't go there.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank Journeyman1963
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Myself and my 3 friends spent a recent 3 night stay in the Oranmore Lodge. We found the
hotel very comfortable,warm and welcoming - it was lovely to walk into the hotel and our rooms having just come in from the cold and rain. The staff were absolutely fantastic - friendly and helpful particularly Bernie in the restauant. The food was fabulous and plenty of it. We didnt have a thing to complain about and we all would highly recommend this hotel if you your looking for something in the Galway area. Very convenient to the city. One of the days we booked a taxi
to go shopping in Galway rather than take the car and had a lovely day out and came back to
the hotel to enjoy a fabulous dinner that evening.

Room Tip: Our rooms were towards the end of corridor and we had no complaints about noise whatsoever
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
BrianOhiggins, Owner at Oranmore Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Valerie G,

We really appreciate that you have taken the time to write this wonderful review.

It was a pleasure looking after you and your guests and I hope we get the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.

From all the the hotel we wish you a Merry Christmas and and very Happy New Year.

Regards,

Shirley Kilduff
Sales Reservations Manager
Ireland
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We have recently returned from a two nights stay here at the Oranmore Lodge Hotel. We had a very pleasant stay. The staff here are so friendly and very welcoming. But I'll be honest, I was a little let down by the hotel itself. It is definitely not a 4 star in my opinion. The hotel is very dated and tired and it needs a good facelift in some areas.

Our bedroom was old fashioned but very clean (immaculate carpet, clean and crisp bed sheets, pillows, etc.)...but unfortunately our bathroom was a different story, I was so disappointed with it as it wasn't clean at all.

We had a three course meal in the restaurant on the first night and I have to say our first impression of the restaurant/dining room wasn't positive. The decor was cold and dreary and it was a little chilly too. But to our surprise, the food was absolutely gorgeous, although it was very pricey at €35.00 for a set menu (where i live, the same set menus in our local restaurants are no more than €25). Due to this, we ate in another restaurant in Oranmore the following night.
We really enjoyed our breakfast each morning and the breakfast room is alot nicer with a warmer feel to it than the restaurant/dining room.

Even though the staff were lovely and the food was very good, unfortunately I don't think we would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BrianOhiggins, Manager at Oranmore Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear BreeLee0805

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

We are delighted you chose to stay with us during your stay in Galway.

Your comments about our staff are wonderful to hear however we are a little disappointed you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay.

The hotel is a Manor House Hotel and the decor and style is in keeping with the building - we are not a new modern build hotel which are now mostly NAMA hotels..

Your lovely comment about our bedroom cleanliness is great but I am a little confused about the bathroom issue... we have a very high standard of cleanliness in the hotel - did you contact a manager on duty at all if you had an issue with the bathroom - we would certainly have been able to rectify this for you at the time if an issue was brought to our attention.

We pride ourselves with the food and service here and are delighted you enjoyed your dining experience, the €35 menu is very well priced based on Galway restaurants and offers a great selection of food giving you a choice of over 7 starters, main courses and desserts, Tea/coffee.

Thank you for your feedback, we would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Kind Regards,

Shirley Kilduff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranmore
Maldron Hotel Galway
#11 of 45 in Galway
Clybaun Hotel
Clybaun Hotel
#6 of 45 in Galway

Been to Oranmore Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!