“Very dissappointing - 4* it definately is not!”

Oranmore Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Oranmore
Cork, Ireland
“Very dissappointing - 4* it definately is not!”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel last weekend. We decided on the spur of the moment to spend a night away with our 2 kids and my husband rang the hotel to make the booking. We were quoted a price based on 2 adults and 2 children and booked a family room. After a two hour drive in the rain, we arrived at the hotel only to be told that the booking was for 2 adults and one child and the only room they had left had one double bed and one single. The hotel had clearly messed up, but what angered me most was the reaction of the receptionist. It was clearly their mistake but she had no intention of helping us. I practically had to beg her to find a mattress somewhere to put into the room. She clearly didn't want to be bothered. When we got to our room I was wishing we had turned around and driven two hours back home. The room was tiny and extremely old fashioned. It was like something out of a time warp. At no time were we offered an apology over the mix up or even a discount on the room rate. The least they could've done was offered us a complimentary drink at the bar.

The only positive thing I could say is that the bar food was quite good and the live music in the bar was very good. The barman who served us was very pleasant and helpful. Perhaps the unhelpful girl in reception could learn something from him.

Will definately never return to this hotel and will tell everyone I know not to stay here either!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
UK
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Good quality hotel, good helpful staff, nice pool and sauna, nice very clean large rooms and beds. Very good live entertainment not in centre but near to shops and bars and very good value. Near to Galway racecourse

Room Tip: Not in centre of town but near racecourse.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Other reviewers have stated that the Hotel needs a bit of a makeover and some areas are a little tired, this is true but don't let that put you off staying at this lovely Hotel. We found the staff and the atmosphere in the Hotel delightful, it reminded us of what family run Hotels used to be like before the big brand Celtic Tiger Hotels came on the scene. The Staff are very welcoming and hospitiable, the food is excellent, breakfast great, pool lovely, rooms warm and spotlessly clean.
We stayed two nights on a Lildl break for 98 euro a night dinner, bed and breakfast, worth every penny, a bargain. Well done Oranmore Lodge it's nice to know that Irish Hospitality can still be found.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Crangle56
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Experienced a very enjoyable weekend here but imho 4* it is not.If hotel was rated as 3* my review would be very favorable.However we were on a Supervalu supermarket promotion break, it was great value for money, although not inspiring we experienced no problems.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank upport
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I was disappointed in this hotel, although our room was spacious the bathroom was poorly planned and my partner, who is a little on the short side had problems in reaching the mirror over the shelf above the sink.Other problems included:-
No lift and lots of stairs.
Poor room security - our room was in the lower area of the hotel and we couldn't leave the windows open as someone could have climbed in.
Bar staff who frankly couldn't do their job and seemed more interested in a couple of young ladies sitting by the bar than serving me or the other more mature males in the room.
Our dining room was along another corridor past the public toilets and down yet more steps, (We were part of a coach party) the food was ok but nothing special or worthy of note. Breakfast was poor and if you arrived late it seemed that the staff couldn't be bothered getting you something to eat.
Overall service was poor.

I recommend you avoid this one and find somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
West Wales
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel several times now and have always been warmly welcomed. The rooms are clean and comfortable, light and airy and also have a fridge hidden away so your milk etc stays fresh. Unfortunately there are no scenic views as it is in a built-up area but the hospitality makes up for that.
It has a leisurecentre which is included in the cost of your stay and 1 of our travelling companions made use of the marvellous pool.
We visited Barney's bar in the hotel to be served by friendly staff and the bar meals are delicious.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was really looking forward to my stay in that Lodge but what seemed to be picturesque turned out to be miserable & outdated.

Problems started upon check-in when we found out that there are long corridors & numerous staircases, making access difficult. No ramps were provided, and help with bags would cost us 1 euro per bag!!!! So much for hospitality at a 4* property....

The single rooms were located in some kind of attic which could have been very cosy except it reminded me of uncomfortable travel in B&B in the early 70's. My heart sank when, after having navigated my way through the most drab carpeted corridors & old staircases, I found myself in a cramped, tasteless room overlooking the parking lot with a bathroom with no toiletries, a noisy fan, a sin without water mixer & a shower cubicle my friends & I preferred to ignore for the night.

To make matters worse, as members of a greek travelling group we didn't even have the opportunity to enjoy the old dining room & breakfast area but were banned instead in a colourless function room with impersonal service & rather indifferent food.

I'm afraid to say, on behalf of my group of friends & some other fellow travellers, this was not a a 4* treatment at all ( especially compared to all the other properties we stayed at in Ireland) & it definitely made a bad impression on all of us. As for me, personally, I'm just disappointed that my stay at the Oranmore Lodge didn't live up to my expectations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranmore
Maldron Hotel Galway
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,483 reviews
Clybaun Hotel
Clybaun Hotel
#6 of 45 in Galway

Been to Oranmore Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!