“Super weekend location.”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Oranmore
Dublin
“Super weekend location.”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Superb, spacious hotel and extremely competitively priced. We were particularly impressed by the attentiveness of the staff throughout our stay.

Would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending it.

Rooms were clean and spacious, and the quality and quantity of food could not be faulted. There was a gym area but we did not get round to using the facilities - maybe next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank irishman52

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Polish first
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

i chose to stay here because i was playing in a golf tournament 7 miles away at the Athenry Golf Club. i chose it based on price and value. i will not stay here again. The staff are very accommodating and will do anything to make your stay enjoyable, this is most likely due to the volume of complains they field. The rooms very not very clean, obvious places had been cleaned but scratch a little below the surface to expose the dust, dirt and grime, yuch.

The rooms are spacious enough in size and have everything you need, if it works. Our shower rarely pumped hot water even though the water from the sink hot water tap would have melted your skin after running for only a few seconds.

The restaurant food was ok-ish, but I'm not a fussy eater. The menu wasn't very lavish, more the contents of a canteen menu than a restaurant.Not much else to say about the food.

What really upset me the most, and I realise this is beyond the control of the hotel and more to do with it's locale, situated on the outskirts of Galway at a roundabout which is part of the Galway ring road bypass system but heavily influences my review is the noise from the traffic outside. Having children my quality of what little sleep I get is precious so do not stay on a Saturday night or you will not get any. The constant tyre screeching, cylinder head tears and exhaust release roars of the engine noise from 'car enthusiasts' or 'boy racers' from around midnight until daybreak were deafening as they ripped and raced up and down the roads outside. If you do stay here, insist on a room that does not overlook the road, perhaps the noise is not so prevalent at the rear of the building.

I understand that the Gardai should be doing something about this but perhaps it's an indication of the volume of young driver road deaths in Ireland that they obviously are not, and show no interest in calming this behaviour as in all of this constant din i did not hear a single siren all night.

My last comment is that the bar prices in this hotel are extortionate but then aren't they everywhere in ROI (rip off ireland), buyer beware. You're also looking at a 15 euro taxi fare into Galway center or a 2.50 euro bus ride.

i will not return to this hotel, ever.

Room Tip: Do not sleep overlooking the road outside on a weekend. Traffic noise will deafen you.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sloppydec
Dermot31, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Galway, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Slpppydec,
I was very disappointed to read your review and to learn there were some issues during your stay with us last weekend. It is very unusual that such issues would arise and I would like to apologise for that. The Accommodation Manager and I have checked the room thoroughly to ensure the room meets with our normal high standards of housekeeping.
It is very rare that there would be "boyracers" on the main roundabout in front of the hotel. When this issue did arise last Saturday night the staff of the hotel notify the Gardai straight away.
Thank you for bring this to my attention as it will assist us in our continuous improvement. If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.
Kind Regards,
Dermot Comerford
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel. Great bar comfortable rooms. Really friendly staff who make the hotel. Yeah the hotel is old it uses to be a quality hotel and it shows but the staff are very friendly. Beds are comfy and rooms are comfortable. Would return

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Went in sept midweek with the kids
The games room wasn't open to guests as was being used as a crèche
Restaurant was closed and the bar food was below par for the price
The jewel of this hotel were the staff couldn't do enough for you
The pool is great with free arm bands for the kids
The rooms were clean and comfortable

• Stayed September 2013
Bielefeld
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed here for two nights recently with family in order to tour around Galway and surrounding area.

The Pro's: Check in was friendly and efficient. Family room was clean, spacious and well laid out and contained lots of information and discounts for local attractions which was excellent. Staff are also very keen to put things right.

Cons: Stay was only marginally let down by expensive breakfast and evening meals and room wasn't fully cleaned/maintained by housekeeping. Sleep was also disturbed on the last day by a bus parking under a window at 0645 with engine running whilst waiting to collect guests.

Would stay here again if ever in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Marc C
Galway
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Had "lunch" (I use the term lunch lightly) yesterday in the Maldron and I have never experienced anything as bad. First off the bar was filthy, the floor wasn't swept, it smelled stuffy and dirty and my hand stuck to the chair when I moved it out to sit.

There are STICKY menus on all the tables which show that they serve soup, desserts and a selection of sandwiches and wraps. I took a seat and waited to be served which I expected they would do since the menus are on the tables. After waiting for 10mins I went up to the counter and asked for soup and a toasted ham & tomato sandwich. I was told that the sandwiches were in the fridge. I wasn't quite sure what she meant, but sure enough beside here was a large freestanding fridge with pre-packed sandwiches. When I said I wanted a toasted one, again she replied "there in the fridge, pick one and I'll toast it". I don't eat butter and they all had butter on them, when I asked if they could make up a fresh one she replied "No".....So I chose a wrap (pre-packed in the fridge) and brought my soup to my table. I saw the girl heat the wrap and then leave it on a plate on the sinks draining board for 5mins whilst she served other customers. She washed items in the sink whilst my wrap was sitting on the draining board and hovered over it on several occasions to dry her hands on the hanging paper towels, no doubt dropping water and soap on my wrap.

This hotel has a lot to learn about customer service and food hygiene. I didn't eat the wrap, I felt physically sick after watching it being "prepared". I wouldn't advise anyone to stay here or eat here. It's a horrible, dirty place and should be closed down in my opinion.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank oldtowngalway
Dermot31, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Galway, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear OldTimeGalway,
I am very disappointed to read your review of your recent Lunch Time experience in the Q Bar. Please accept my sincere apologies for the drop in standards you encountered, this is so far removed from our normal high standard of cleandiness and customer care.
We are addressing the issues you have raised immediately through further staff training and supervision.
At lunch time we also offer Carvery Lunch and a Deli Counter in our Stir Restaurant apologies again that this was not explained to you.
i do hope you will return to the Hotel in the near future and I assure you your experience will be a positive one.
Kind Regards,
Dermot Comerford
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Excellent service and staff, in the Galway Maldron Hotel. From the warm welcome we received on arrival, to the very friendly receptionist, who gave us useful driving directions, parking, shopping, etc. All staff were friendly and helpful. Food was excellent, nothing was too much trouble. Rooms and leisure centre were spotless. We would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranmore
Flannery's Hotel Galway
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway
Nox Hotel
Nox Hotel
#8 of 46 in Galway

Been to Maldron Hotel Galway? Share your experiences!