“Would definately recommend this lovely boutique hotel”

The Coach House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Oranmore
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband was playing in a golf competition at Athenry Golf Club earlier this week and we stayed at the Coach House Hotel for two nights. My first visit to County Galway and I will certainly be back. This is a lovely hotel and very tastefully decorated - I really liked the way each room was given a name. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious and we ate in the hotel both nights - the food was very tasty and good value. There is on-site parking but the car park does fill up very quickly in the evening, so we didn't take our car out after our evening meal in case we lost our parking space.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Arrived after long journey made to feel very welcome,the rooms are clean and have most of what
I needed
Dined in the restaurant and had some really Italian food and again good service
Breakfast was perfect I got down way before breakfast was served but had such a warm welcome and fresh coffee from guy on duty it really made for a good start to the business day

Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I wanted to take my brother to Galway city on a recent visit. I've been there several times, he'd never visited the west coast of Ireland. I did last minute bookings and the village of Oranmore was my only option so I went with the Coach House Hotel. It is on the main road in Oranmore and was an easy drive from Dublin Airport to Galway and onto the village of Oranmore. The building is fantastic and a nice mix of old and new. The reception staff was lovely and easily accommodated the request to a twin room. We were on the 3rd floor, and a small elevator was handy for dragging up our luggage. The room was clean, modern and large. We had no idea there were even other people staying in the hotel as it was very quiet. The bar & restaurant on site was very good. The Italian food was great, the service was great and the atmosphere was great. It wasn't overly pricey given the fact that it was actually good, proper Italian food and not from a café style place. Breakfast the next morning was very good, cooked to order and with options available other than a traditional fry-up. All the usual Western Ireland touristy sites were easily accessible from Oranmore...the cliff's of moher and a few other scenic drives/views were only an hour or so away. Galway City is very close only a few miles but without the noise and congestion of staying in the city. Every staff member we were in contact with were very accommodating and polite.
A few downers: This is considered a boutique hotel and I wasn't sure why other than it was updated with wood floors and a fancy shower. It was nice, but not what I would consider boutique. The bathroom was huge but there wasn't anywhere to put anything, not even a hook on the back of the door. I had to set my makeup bag on the floor while I was getting ready...not a big deal but just awkward. The car park clearly stated it was for guest use. We went for a nice drive to see a few touristy sites and returned around 7pm and the car park was so full that people were actually double parking. It isn't a huge location but I was curious how so many guests were actually fitting in such a small hotel. The bar and restaurant patrons were actually parking there as well leaving little options for actual hotel guests. Considering the main street location to try and find another parking spot near the hotel was nearly impossible. The signage to actually pick out the hotel from the main road was very hard to see. The signs are a combination of being too small, too fancy/artsy and did not catch your eye as you are quickly driving through town. We drove the same street several times before accidentally seeing the actual hotel building (which sits back almost in an ally). We actually thought it was just a bar and restaurant and not a hotel as it was difficult to distinguish that it was a sign for a hotel.

Room Tip: Our room faced the car park, and also was near the elevator. Noise was never an issue.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Meal was amazing. We expected a pub with accommodation but got a boutique hotel with a first class Italian restaurant Staff were very educated about all the authentic Italian meals. For two foodies who cook and have eaten lots of Italian dishes we were more than impressed. In fact we are going to visit Sardinia where the owner's Italian husband comes from . She encouraged us to visit Sardinia so we look forward to our trip in October. Service was wonderful. Owner at reception went to the trouble of printing out information on our American aunt@s family coat of arms who was staying with us from Fresno.California She was over the moon and is gone back to Fresno with glowing praise about the "Friendly Galway Irish "

Room Tip: As long as room is clean, and comfortable food is more important
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Dropped in to the Bascilico Restaurant at the Coach House the other evening on my way home from a nice day out with my partner.
The menu looked fantastic and the food was not disappointing, we very much enjoyed the whole experience until just before we left when the French waiter who served us in a typical slightly snooty but not unenjoyable Parisian fashion made a pass at my partner while I was in the bathroom.

Needless to say I was slightly in shock when I came back and explained to the waiter as I paid my bill that she was not available to meet him at 4.30 in Ayre Square the following day on any other day to which he responded that it was a "joke".

I took the issue up with the owner who initially asked me if my partner was sure of what the waiter had said which irritated me even more but he promised to investigate and call me back.
The owner contacted me the following day to inform me that he had given the waiter a written warning and if there were any more complaints that he would be fired.

The evening was so ruined by the whole event that we will not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dcosgrov
Reviewed June 30, 2013

booked this hotel for a Saturday night with the Basillico restaurant. We duly arrived and were promptly checked in with little fuss. Our room was on the first floor to the rear, everything one would need is there, the room was clean and tidy and not cluttered.
Having had to drive to the hotel the need of refreshment was the first item to address, entering the bar area we found quite a few people in for food. After ordering our drinks it was encouraging to see more people especially families ordering from the bistro menu. It is obviously a popular eating venue for locals.
This we thought was a good sign for later on. Having quenched our thirst it was time to explore a small bit of the village, The main street is a busy road, but all one's needs are in this village and a small walk before dinner is, as hindsight tells me a good thing to do.
Returning to the hotel we made our way down to the restaurant, immediately we were greeted by Fabio who quickly arranged for us to be seated, Our waiter Nicolas was very attentive and looked after us with a smile. Enjoying fine Italian food means taking time over the meal, This is one of the traits of a fine Italian establishment. We were not to be disappointed in this regard, all of our courses were served allowing for digestion and conversation. The appetizer and first course were first class, presentation and taste second to none, It looked good for the main courses, we had chosen Pollo (chicken) Valdostana and a pasta Boscaiola. Having had similar dishes served in Trento, Italy we thought we would compare the dishes.

No complaint can be given on this very friendly and welcoming restaurant. Absolutely first class in all respects, The whole experience has led us to seriously take friends and family to this hotel when possible, it is worth every cent with helpful friendly staff, comfortable rooms and a lively bar. Not at all noisy but warm and relaxing.

The check in and out process is exactly what is missing in larger hotels, here you have minimum of red tape just what you need when you want to enjoy yourself. Our thanks to Fabio, Nicolas, and Paulo the unseen chef, also all the staff whos names we missed, We will return.

Room Tip: If a smoker ask for room near the smoking terrace. Saves a walk along corridor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I ate with my parents in the restaurant of this hotel for lunch last week and I have to say it was the worst food experience we've had for some time. The seafood chowder tasted and looked like it was a sauce from a packet or tin with some seafood inserted on the top for effect. The burger dish comprised two thin supermarket frozen burgers with luke warm wedges. We were really disappointed by the quality of the food and will not be returning. We have eaten there previously and thought the food was of a high standard - not on this occasion however.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Nick O, Owner at The Coach House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thanks for Your Feedbabck,
We strongly feel that your comments are not fair, and not True also:
In Fact our Seafood Chowder is cooked to order every time using only Killary Rope Mussels and Connemara Natural smoked haddock (local and fresh seafood) with homemade prawns bisque, cream and chunky vegetables
In Regards of our Double Beef Burger is homemade in House from Chuck and Flank Steak of Brady's Superior Beef from Athenry Farm in County Galway.
To speed the service with make it flat, so we can always cook it fresh to order and not from the Bainmarie like in many other pubs.
We hope that you will give another chance to us and try our food again, we also make Beautiful Italian Style Homemade Pizzas and Focaccia for under 7€ at lunch and many pasta dishes.

Regards
The Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranmore
Maldron Hotel Galway
Jurys Inn Galway
Jurys Inn Galway
#8 of 46 in Galway
Flannery's Hotel Galway

Been to The Coach House Hotel? Share your experiences!