“Another happy return”

The Coach House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Oranmore
“Another happy return”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I have been staying here 2 or 3 times a year for the past 3 years and have enjoyed every visit. There is always a warm welcome from the staff, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the restaurant is really good. On my last visit, 3 nights in January, home side Connaught were playing Quinns and the match was showing on the big screen in the bar, where a noisy but good natured crowd slowed down the bar service, but lets face it Guinness doesn't pour quickly for anyone and anticipation is good for the soul!! This is a nice small hotel in a dormitory town close to Galway, the rooms aren't huge but lets face it, they are bed rooms, the usual television, coffee making stuff, small table and chair and desk space are all there, with enough space to work when you need to and when you don't need to work, the west of Ireland is just outside your door!.

Room Tip: First floor front rooms can be a little noisy but the free wifi signal is better, the rooms to the s...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank p.lm_123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Finnish first
Westport
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I would not even grace this place with the word "Hotel"
We stayed for my husbands birthday and were highly disappointed.

The negatives:
There was no receptionist on duty AT ALL during our stay, which we found very strange, there was no-one we could go to if we had a problem, or to ask about anything.

The room was tiny, there were dirty marks all over the walls and cobwebs in the corners, the bed was appalling, so saggy in the middle, I didn't get much sleep and when I did I awoke with pains in my neck and back, so I had to avoid going to sleep.

The shower room was tiny and very dirty, there were pink body fat marks all over the shower, and there were lots of hairs in the washbasin and shower cubicle and there was a sewage smell coming from the bathroom.

The bar is busy so don't expect any kind of service. The waitress looks at you as though you have 10 heads, and you need to point at the menu as she doesn't understand what you say. We were left waiting for 40 minutes after our main course to order dessert and coffee, and even then, we had to go up to her and tell her what we wanted.

The morning after, we waited over half an hour to order breakfast, there were other couples who came in after us and we were left until last to be served. Then we had to wait 20 minutes for more toast as we got one slice each. We were waited on by a loud mouthed Italian.

The positives:
The food was good (when you got it) and the bar man with the designer beard was lovely.

I would never return here, we were ripped off and I would not recommend it to anyone, unless you want a hostel.

Room Tip: If they give you room 103, ask them for a different room
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank K_P_G_19
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Myself and two friends stayed here for three nights as a base for three days of motorcycling in the 'dear green place'. Excellent value for money, clean modern rooms and comfortable beds. Staff were good fun and Karen helped with routes and stuff., Guiness was spot on and breakfasts were freshly prepared - no buffet here but more that enough to fill us up. A short taxi ride into Galway at night sorted out any absence of entertainment in Oranmore iteslf. Smashing small hotel.

Room Tip: The two rooms we had 201 and 203 were good and quiet
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Lyon, France
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I have booked this hotel for a nice week-end in couple in Connemara with my Gf. It was the 5th time for me in that hotel, and I have been very disappointed.

First thing, it was my first time on the 1st floor. Avoid it ! You are above the pub, so you have the music, the noise of the chairs and tables moving, and the people talking under your windows.

Second thing: we spotted a lot of dirty spots in the bathroom: nail polish on the bath tub, dust on the ground near the walls, air extractor completely covered by cobwebs and dust, some cobwebs in the opposite corner of the room, a lot of stains on the frame of the door (inside the bathroom) (finger stains, but also a stain like you can do with your luggage - kind of rubber black stain-).
Even if I asked the reception to checked the bathroom and to clean it, nothing was done when we came back.

Third thing: We have been offered an Irish breakfast in order to apologize for the inconvenience. That could have been a smart move, if the team in charge of the bar wasn't a bunch of lazy guys. They brought us half of the breakfast (no drinks, no toasts), one of the waiter ate our toasts, and the food we got wasn't even good. During the time we were waiting on our toasts, they were laughing the whole time, like if they were customers (you are supposed to work when you are a waiter, not to laugh as loud as you can, pointing finger at customers and eating their food...)

I have been there 5 times, and I also sent my parent to that hotel once.

That was my last time in that hotel where they seem to prefer working with lazy housekeepers and waiters than give the customers a great experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank boldorak
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed here for just one night on the 18th of Aug. I got stranded for the night in a truck. I was late in the evening booking the room, but was lucky as here was only 2 rooms left. I had been talking to the girl on the phone only a half hour before I checked in. When I arrived she was so helpful and really nice to me. I just can't remember her name to thank her. I ended up getting the room for only €45 as I was leaving again at 5am.
I went for some food in the bar and it was really busy, but my food arrived in good time and was very nice.
The room was very clean and fresh. I liked the fact it had laminate wood floor because at least you knew it was clean and you could walk in your bare feet. God knows what kind of state some hotel carpets are in. The shower was great and after a long days work it was just perfect. Had really nice power to it.
Anyway, I really liked the place so I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011
Reviewed August 9, 2011

My husband and I took a weekend trip to the west coast of Ireland and were very happy with The Coach House Hotel. Easy to get to the Cliffs of Moher and into Galway. We ate at the hotel bar twice and weren't disappointed. Breakfast was fairly simple, but delicious. Staff was wonderful! This is a great option if you prefer to stay outside of Galway city.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Belfast
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my sister for two nights whilst travelling to Galway for a hen party. We could not fault this hotel in any way. Our room was large with a double and a single bed with a big bathroom, very comfortable and extremely clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had breakfast at the hotel both mornings and were impressed, the food was delicious. We also had dinner in the bar on the Sunday evening and enjoyed this, the prices are reasonable and service was good. I definitely plan to return to Galway in the future and will use this hotel without question, great location, 10 minutes from Galway city centre and Oranmore is a nice town to stay in.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank JenniBelfast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranmore
Flannery's Hotel Galway
Galway Bay Hotel
Galway Bay Hotel
#5 of 45 in Galway
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,912 reviews

Been to The Coach House Hotel? Share your experiences!