“R&R at its best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rathmullan
belfast
“R&R at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

A perfect place if you are in need of some rest and relaxation.
We had a lovely room which looked onto the grounds of the hotel with the sea in the background, although weather wasnt great we were able to sit out and take in the serene surroundings.
Ate in the homely cellar bar which had great music, some superb seafood and friendly young service.
Breakfast was a feast with lots of lovely fresh fruit from the gardens.
Would certainly recommend this place to anyone wanting to escape the fast pace of life.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

We were recommended this hotel by friends of ours.....not to mention they are very well off which is also probably why they didnt see a problem with the prices of absolutely everything!!!!!!! The room was pretty average, the food was the ONLY aspect that we could compliment!!!!!! And even at this it was over-priced!!!!! We had two drinks and a main course each which a hamster would eat more and it amounted to 83.60euro which i find a joke as we left hungry and ended up eating in little pub in Ramelton on our journey home for a total of 24euro and the bar food was great and we had ample amount of meat, potatoes and veg served to us. This was called the bridge bar!!!!! Additionally with our plate of rations in Rathmullan house we were sooooo lucky to be served a bowl with five baby potatoes for the two of us incl in the price but no veg!!!!!! A service charge of 7.60 was also allocated to our bill to accomodate a waitress who made two trips to our table!!!!! That is not acceptable!!!!! I have frequented McNean bistro proprieted by THEE chef Nevin Maguire on may occasions and the food, service and atmosphere is electrical and magnificent and a fraction of the price compared to Rathmullan house!!!!! At least value for money and simple touches such as Nevin himself greeting each customer and mixing with people!!!!! Rathmullan house is a big NO NO for me!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Downpatrick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

To get straight to the point, I simply could not recommend this hotel highly enough.
The warmth and friendliness of the place and its staff shines through right from the inital telephone booking to check-out. This was my first time staying at Rathmullan House so the recommendations and help I was given (re: room choice etc) during that first point of contact proved to be invaluable.
On arrival, first impressions are excellent. The country house exterior, grounds and setting just above the beach and Lough Swilly are stunning. Once inside we were struck by the relaxed grandeur of the place, most impressive, but not in the least pretentious or inhibiting.
We received a lovely warm welcome from Lorraine who brought myself, my wife and three year old son to our room - and what a room! There was a large main bedroom with a massive bed a TV/DVD, seating area and various books,a curtained-off sub room which was ideal for my son to sleep in, a sizable dressing area and a huge bathroom with a lovely roll top cast iron bath - all of which were beautifully presented and clean. The attention to detail was fantastic; my son had already been presented with a little fun-bag with crayons etc and now safely enconsced in his mini-suite he quickly discovered a jar containing home made cookies and his very own mini bathrobe!
Unsurprisingly we spent most of our visit to Rathmullan in and around the hotel. My son had plenty to entertain him what with the swimming pool, beach, croquet, tennis courts and playgrounds. He also enjoyed the food immensely, Rathmullan House quite simply has the best children's menu I have encountered anywhere. The grown-ups menu didn't disappoint either and I would highly recommend a visit if only for lunch or dinner. The hotel's excellent chefs make great use of the large kitchen garden which was bursting with a huge variety of fruit & veg and also a few hens. The breakfasts were also first class with quality and choice the (first) order of the day.
As I've already indicated my son seemed to love absolutely everything about the place and my wife was particularly impressed with the massage/holistic treatments which she enjoyed for very reasonable rates. My own highlight would have to have been relaxing on the oversized sofas in front of a gently smoking fragrant peat fire in Batts Bar with the newspapers and a pre-dinner drink. Just that thought alone would make me want to return and once again unwind amidst the relaxed grandeur.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We had our wedding reception at Rathmullan in June and it exceeded all our expectations - it was a perfectly relaxed and gorgeous venue that is classy without being pretentious.

We started the weekend with a casual meal in the Cellar Bar the evening before the wedding and that set the tone - excellent food, outstanding service and a great atmosphere. We got so many compliments from our guests on the level of service from the staff and this goes all the way to the top to the management, who couldn't have been more accomodating and pleasant. Mark, Mary, Yvonne and the rest of the team are first class. We did most of the planning by emails and phonecalls and they were extremely responsive at every turn, which was very comforting.

The wedding reception was perfect. We luckily had blue skies and sun and so had drinks out at the garden in front of the house before the delicious dinner of fishcakes, lamb and an assiette of desserts. The whole weekend felt like a great big house party and it was really important to us that we had the house just for us and our guests - it created a very intimate and fun day.

Everyone has been raving to us about the wedding and I would thoroughly recommend Rathmullan to anyone who is thinking of having their wedding there. Thanks Rathmullan!

• Stayed June 2010
BELFAST
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

My wife and I spent 2 nights in this hotel in June 2010. We were allocated a standard room. To our surprise and concern we found that the bathroom did not have a shower.There was only a roll top bath .Furthermore,the bathroom had a slightly damp odour..I went to reception and requested that we be moved to a room with a shower and was informed that I would have to upgrade to a superior room if I wanted a shower and that would cost more.I decided to stay put as the cost-180 euros per night -was already sufficient for a rather ordinary hotel.
This was not a good decision. The bath was so deep that it was very difficult to get out after bathing even with the assistance of the handrail as I am of pensionable age.and I suffer from arthritis to both knees.
Another albeit minor irritation was that the old wardrobe door refused to close and had to be held in place by a chair.!
On checking out I once again mentioned the lack of a shower and was informed that the room had the shower removed last year during refurbishment!!
While the food was of a high standard,the experience of staying at Rathmullan House was tainted by the sub standard room

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank TOMMY59
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

Spent a couple of nights in Rathmullan House this week. It's wonderful. It's plush and classic country house with loads of rooms to sit around in; the beach is a hundred yards from the front door; the swimming pool area looked great (didn't actually use it); the staff were friendly and courteous; the location is about twenty five minutes from Letterkenny and there's a ferry to Inish Owen a few times a day. The only negative I noticed was that service at breakfast was a bit slow with one or two people left waiting quite a while to be served. Didn't eat dinner on this visit but I've eaten in the restaurant in the past year and it was worthy of its excellent reputation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

Recently stayed here. Had expected a lot and have to say I was disappointed. Room ok but two dead flies on window sill for the 4 days I was there, not to mention the large wood louse (alive) I found in room. Twice had to ask for toilet tissue and ordinary tissues to be put in room - not what I expect of 4 stars. Having said that, staff were otherwise excellent and helpful. Service in bar and restaurant was first class. Breakfasts were with out par. Had dinner there one night and whilst ok I felt the main course did not live up to the reputation of the restaurant - instructions on how meat was to be cooked were not followed. Overall a nice place but not great value.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Barkerk2610
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rathmullan
Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel
Villa Rose Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ballybofey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,066 reviews
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny

Been to Rathmullan House? Share your experiences!