“A heaven of relaxation even with the kids.”
Review of Rathmullan House

Rathmullan House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rathmullan
Wicklow
“A heaven of relaxation even with the kids.”
Reviewed March 30, 2009

My wife and our 5 year old stayed at Rathmullan House this weekend to try and escape the winter blues and boy did they deliver. We were attracted by their “River Café “ weekend as they had Rose Gray of River Cafe fame in London over to cook on the Saturday night. From the moment we arrived to the point of departure we were waited on hand and foot, our daughter delighted with walks on the beech looking for shells and the indoor heated pool. For her one of the highlights was high tea for the kids in the play room , for us also high a point as Rathmullan organized baby sitters as well which meant we could enjoy our evenings without worry. The bedroom, which was huge, was ideal for the 3 of us. On the right as you came on was a littlie sitting room with a convertible bed for our daughter, then our bedroom which was a super king size, we had a good size dressing room then a large bathroom with free standing bath and a shower. The bathroom room was warm and clean with plenty of towels provided ( needed for a 5 yo ! ) We loved lunch in the drawing rooms, there appeared to be real log and turf fires lighting all over the place, this gave a real feeling of warmth and homeliness, yet the standard of service provide by knowledgeable and super friendly staff gave it an air of sophistication as well. I have stayed at Rathmullan before and would always recommend the restaurant, , but this time I think the food was even better again. Apparently their new head chef is from the River Café in London hence the connection and on the Saturday night with Rose Gray herself visiting each table in turn and talking to the guests, it was indeed a very special evening. We could not recommend Rathmullan highly enough, it is owned and run by the Wheeler family and they were very much in evidence morning noon and night, its what makes the difference I think between some of these newer company operated Country House Hotels in Ireland which tend to be soulless and with no personalities. Yes you probably pay a bit more for Rathmullan, but in these though times when you can not get away as much, you need to go somewhere that will truly deliver the Country House experience and for us Rathmullan did exactly that.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Tikitodi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
N.Ireland
Reviewed February 24, 2009

My Fiance and I were married in the village of Rathmullan on Friday 6th February and held our wedding reception in Rathmullan House. Many of our guests arrived the evening before and were able to spend the morning of the wedding relaxing in front of the many fires, or going for a walk on the most amazing beach in front of the hotel. We were blessed with blue skies, sun and a little snow, and were able to walk through the village, from the church, on return to Rathmullan House. I can safely say that all the staff at Rathmullan House helped to make our day truly magical. From the drinks reception, to the amazing food, to their friendly attitude and attention to detail, I really couldn't have faulted anything about the weekend we spent at the hotel. We both wanted a relaxed day were our friends and family could enjoy themselves, and that's what we got. Thank you Rathmullan.

• Stayed February 2009
2 Thank first2france
Northern Ireland
Reviewed November 4, 2008

We have just been at the Rathmullan House Hotel as a birthday treat for my husband. I originally had only planned a two night break but the mid week opportunity for three B & B with Three evening meals seemed to be much better value. My e-mail communications with the receptionist were very warm and friendly.We were allocated a very large room witha huge bed at the front of the hotel overlooking Lough Swilly which was great. Our bedroom and the public areas of the hotel boasts paintings and olde worlde antiques which added to the comfortable grandeur of the house.I suppose this would not be to everyones taste but most tourists would love it in context with the house's history. Our ensuite bathroon had a lovely cast iron roll top bath and a shower. This further added to the feeling of being a house guest in a stately home! The water was piping hot. Our Room facilities included tea/coffee/kettle/cookies/robes & flipflops/ironing board/television. As it was late October all the fires were lit in the four reception rooms and diners and walkers could linger there.The food was absolutely superb every single night and the staff were expert in their inconspicuous efficiency and they were all charming.The whole ambience was relaxed and casual. Well behaved children pottered about in their socks having abandoned wellingtons at the front door. Families with children are advised to go to dinner before 7 pm and this means adults can enjoy the calm at a later time-beneficial for both parties.The beach is only a stones throw from the house and horse riders flashed past frequently. The pool is quite small but satisfactory and visitors are at ease wandering downstairs in their robes.My husband availed of a deep tissue massage and he remarked that it was one of the best he has ever had. The downstairs cellar bar had a great atmosphere and here too we enjoyed the peat fire. If I was asked to make any derogatory remarks they would be that although I had brought dressy clothes for the evenings I preferred to opt for warmer clothing as I found the Weeping Elm restaurant quite chilly as was our bedroom...although the central heating was on in both locations full blast. The family sized dispensers of Molton Brown toiletries only included handwash and shampoo. A hand lotion would have been good and , as the tiny bar of soap soon disappeared after the first evening (with two hot baths being taken.. ) I noted that it was never replaced. However I know this could have been rectified if I had rang reception but in most Hotels these facilities are automatically replenished on a daily basis. I was a little disappointed that the dessert menu did not change during our three evenings there but again it almost seems churlish to mention this since the food was so exceptional. I would highly recommend this as an easy going, relaxed, homely break. I would do it more regularly if it wasn't quite so expensive.

• Liked — Old world comfort
  • Disliked — a little chilly
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank TOOsie8
N. Ireland
Reviewed September 7, 2008

This is the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed in, and I have stayed in many hotels throughout europe. The standards exceeds all of my expectations. I have stayed here about 6 times in the last 3 years - myself and 2 friends use it as a base to catch up! The rooms are beautiful and food is amazing. The quality of service stands out from the rest. I simply cannot fault it.

• Liked — It is as close to heaven as I can possible imagine!
  • Disliked — Going home!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank MissPetunia
dublin
Reviewed September 5, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed in Rathmullan House in Donegal and for the money it cost we were extremly disappointed. We were travelling around Ireland on our honeymoon and decided to stay there because of its location and 4 star rating. They up graded us to the honeymoon suite (Room 41) and I would hate to think what the other rooms were like. Firstly the so called honeymoon suite was not what we expected ...two single beds pushed together that weren't even matching, the TV wasn't that modern and the picture was poor quality, you could get DVD's in reception but there was no where to play them.....there wasn't even Sky...no fridge in the room or ironing board... no complimantary toothbrushs and toothpaste... We went for a meal the food was not award winning by no means. My husband and I sent back our main course and we noticed that we weren't the only ones to do that during the meal. The menu wasn't very varied especially the desserts. This country house was very over priced we paid €280 B&B for one night and then €125 on top of that for the meal which only included one glass of wine and two soft drinks. We were very disappointed and will not be returning.

• Liked — The staff were lovely
  • Disliked — value for money and the food
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DublinCyril
Kent
Reviewed August 3, 2008

Rathmullan House is beautifully located on the shores of the Lough, although tall trees hide most of the view. The hotel is attractive and our spacious room (41) had a large balcony- it would not syuit anyone with walking difficulites as it was a long way from Reception and up 2 flights of stairs.

The food, much of it locally sourced (some even from the Hotel's large vegetable garden), was excellent. Best of all are the staff - without exception, they are extremely friendly, charming and helpful.

• Liked — The spaciousness of our room and bathroom
  • Disliked — 2 flights of stairs and a long walk
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KentManKent
Belfast N.Ireland
Reviewed July 12, 2008

We had a lovely 2 days at a wonderful Irish Hotel.
We arrived at 1.30pm and check in was very quick and nothing seemed a bother .We were given an upgrade due to it being my husbands birthday and surprise plate of delicious chocolate truffles after dinner !
Breakfast was unbelievable the apple compote was incredible I could have done with a take away( they should offer this to purchase ) fantastic.Better still picnic lunches should be made available as the beach is a fabulous spot for a romantic repas a deux and a very short stroll from the hotel front door. We dined in the Weeping Elm and despite there being no crab available the scallops made up for it .

We also dined in The Cellars (only open at busy weekends) again the food was lovely and service excellent .Dont forget swimming gear as the small pool is well worth a try prior to dinner.Overall the service was excellent and they are taking care of their carbon foot print by using family sized Molton Brown toiletries .

• Liked — The welcome and farewell
  • Disliked — Two single beds joined up to make a double and they were a bit lumpy needing replaced
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Belfastbt4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rathmullan
Shandon Hotel and Spa
#2 of 4 in Buncrana
Clanree Hotel
Clanree Hotel
#4 of 12 in Letterkenny

Been to Rathmullan House? Share your experiences!