My wife and our 5 year old stayed at Rathmullan House this weekend to try and escape the winter blues and boy did they deliver. We were attracted by their “River Café “ weekend as they had Rose Gray of River Cafe fame in London over to cook on the Saturday night. From the moment we arrived to the point of departure we were waited on hand and foot, our daughter delighted with walks on the beech looking for shells and the indoor heated pool. For her one of the highlights was high tea for the kids in the play room , for us also high a point as Rathmullan organized baby sitters as well which meant we could enjoy our evenings without worry. The bedroom, which was huge, was ideal for the 3 of us. On the right as you came on was a littlie sitting room with a convertible bed for our daughter, then our bedroom which was a super king size, we had a good size dressing room then a large bathroom with free standing bath and a shower. The bathroom room was warm and clean with plenty of towels provided ( needed for a 5 yo ! ) We loved lunch in the drawing rooms, there appeared to be real log and turf fires lighting all over the place, this gave a real feeling of warmth and homeliness, yet the standard of service provide by knowledgeable and super friendly staff gave it an air of sophistication as well. I have stayed at Rathmullan before and would always recommend the restaurant, , but this time I think the food was even better again. Apparently their new head chef is from the River Café in London hence the connection and on the Saturday night with Rose Gray herself visiting each table in turn and talking to the guests, it was indeed a very special evening. We could not recommend Rathmullan highly enough, it is owned and run by the Wheeler family and they were very much in evidence morning noon and night, its what makes the difference I think between some of these newer company operated Country House Hotels in Ireland which tend to be soulless and with no personalities. Yes you probably pay a bit more for Rathmullan, but in these though times when you can not get away as much, you need to go somewhere that will truly deliver the Country House experience and for us Rathmullan did exactly that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rathmullan House is situated on the shores of Lough Swilly in Co. Donegal. With a 2 mile sandy beach at the bottom of the gardens it is a perfect spot to enjoy the outdoors. All 32 bedrooms are individually styled from romantic garden rooms to adjoining family rooms. The Weeping Elm Restaurant provides a fine setting for Kelan McMichaels modern cooking as well as the award winning breakfast for which Rathmullan is justly famous. Menus are based on using the freshest ingredients in season from local artisan producers and from the hotels walled garden. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Rathmullan House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rathmullan House Hotel Rathmullan
- House Rathmullan
- Rathmullan Hotel
- Rathmullan House Ireland - County Donegal