“My favourite hotel, by a country mile”
Review of Rathmullan House

Rathmullan House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rathmullan
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“My favourite hotel, by a country mile”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My family stayed in this hotel in August 2013 for 4 nights. We live in Dubai, and the other families we were meeting at RHH live in Malaysia and the US respectively. From the second I began the booking process, Michael could not have been more helpful - trying to co-ordinate the best rooms for our visit, knowing we were part of a large group . We were not disappointed. And neither were our friends. The adjoining family rooms were superb - and spotlessly clean. The staff were all wonderful, the setting is majestic and the food was out of this world. The kids (all 10 of them) played football in the grounds, climbed trees, played on the beach, went fishing, and were NEVER made to feel like they were bothering the staff (which I am sure on occasion they may have been!) Upon returning from the fishing trip, the kids (and dads!) were delighted to have caught a fair amount of mackerel. You can imagine how proud 5 little boys were when the head chef told them their catch could be served in the restaurant that night with their permission. Literally fresh off the boat, the chef's delight truly illustrated that serving exceptional, fresh, local produce is the heart and soul of this hotel. Breakfast was also a treat. Our lovely waitress asked if my 8 month old liked 'Ready Brek' and I told her he had never tried it. Next morning at my table a box of it was there which she had taken from her house for me "my grandson loves it - try some.." I could type for hours about this spectacular, family orientated gem of a hotel. Having travelled around Asia and residing in the Middle East, we have been lucky enough to experience many amazing, picture perfect hotels, but Rathmullan House is my top spot. Why? Setting is of course important and the boxes are ticked there, but for me it was the famous Irish hospitality that Rathmullan House hotel delivers in abundance that makes this hotel my number 1 choice. Ps A word also for Babysitter Barbara (the staff at the hotel provide her number). She is fantastic and the kids adored her.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Claire W
Rathmullan4, Receptionist at Rathmullan House, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have passed on your kind words to staff and Barbara and we hope to see you back again soon.

Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have stayed quite a few times here and i just love the place. My favourite time to go is in the Winter when all the fires are lit and the place is so cosy and warm.
The rooms are stunning,,each one different and comfortable....and include the popular Molton Brown products,,a big plus to many ladies.
No matter what you eat the food is delicious,,with an amazing selection.
Staff are always friendly and eager to please.
I just love my time at Rathmullan and hope to return soon. xx

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alison548
Thank you for your feedback.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are blessed with our location of peace and tranquility. Hope to see you back again soon.

Banbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Visited Rathmullan house for dinner in Sep 13. Beautiful old house, situated beside beach in Rathmullan - relaxing surroundings. My husband and I visited due to a reccomendation from a relative...Oh Dear!...All seemed well when our order was taken in the bar area as it was lovely, but the resturant was in it's own time zone! Upon entering the resturant you pass 2 large circular tables laden with bottles of spirits...weird...perhaps an appropiate bar could be built? The food was old fashioned hotel food...not resturant standard by any means..my husband said his steak was a tough, cheap cut of beef. We had 2 starters, 2 mains, 1 1/2 bottle of house red and 1 pint - £105.00 sterling!!!! I've had 3 courses and drinks in Deans Resturant, Belfast for similar cost and the food in Rathmullan House is so, so poor in comparison. Won't return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ECinn
Thank you for your review.

We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your meal with us.

We hope to see you in the near future should you change you feel like returning.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had a fantastic 80th birthday party here with family and had our private drawing room for cocktails then a fantatsic meal afterwards...everything from the wine to the marigold leaves in the butter was delicious and i that's not your scene there was a live band playing in an intimarte wine cellar. The walk across the beach 2 minutes away and the boat ride was a fantastic start to the evening

Room Tip: We did not stay but all are apparently fantastic
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rathmullan4, Receptionist at Rathmullan House, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

It is great to hear you enjoyed your time here. We always try to make the lounges very relaxing and are glad you enjoyed the food.

We hope next time you decide to stay and get a taste of one of our unique bedrooms.

Spokane, Washington
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in Sept., 2013. It would be hard to come up with anything negative here. The staff was courteous, the room spacious and up to date and the food was terrific! We were located on the first floor in the new wing, so we had a small private patio as well as space for lounging inside the room. The large bath was up to date and had a large separate shower. The public rooms had roaring fires both nights and were filled with people enjoying cocktails before dinner and bar food (very good). We had dinner in the formal dining one night. My husband had a corned beef terrine as an appetizer. He mentioned that it would be excellent for breakfast with poached eggs. The waitress quickly had the chef set two aside for just that purpose. The rest of the dinner as well as breakfast were equally delicious. We also liked that, although they cater to families and encourage reunions, they also have separate TV rooms for the children and encourage them to eat earlier. We would highly recommend the Rathmullan House.

Room Tip: We only saw the room we stayed in which was next to the last room on the first floor. Very private.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Our breakfast is very popular and we are delighted to hear you appreciated the corned beef terrine.

We hope to see you back soon.

Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife and I booked into Rathmullan House as part of an anniversary for a long weekend recently. After hearing decent reviews from a work colleague and having never visited Donegal, we decided to give Rathmullan House a shot. I can say I wasn't disappointed in the least.

One of the first things you notice when you are checking in is the garden to the side of the hotel. If you decide to venture in here, you will actually realise that this is a smorgasbord of fresh fruit and vegetables that are used by the chefs for the restaurant. Honestly, for me as an Irish person, it was incredible to see chefs using fresh and seasonal local produce in such a spectacular way.

The food itself, when you get down to business, is incredible. We stayed in Rathmullan House for 4 nights and for three nights we dined in the Weeping Elm. The one night we ate elsewhere - we regretted it. The food is incredible. In a country where it's all to easy to slap down chicken/beef with random veg, this place diverges from the norm. Every night I ate in the Rathmullan House, I picked a different dish and every time I was amazed.

Recommendation: If you see something on the menu that sounds absolutely awful (e.g. terrine of wood pigeon) - then by all means, order it. I dared my wife who is a picky eater to order something off the wall in her first night. She did, and she loved it.

Second recommendation: I have seen a few slightly negative reviews regarding folks who have brought children to the restaurant. Honestly - for me, this restaurant is about fine and delicate cuisine. I know if I brought my kids here, they just would not appreciate or enjoy the food in the same way as adults would.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shamalus
Rathmullan4, Receptionist at Rathmullan House, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Our kitchen was delighted with your comments. We are very proud of our locally sourced food as well as our walled garden. It's not too difficult to find the traceability of many of our vegetables.

We hope to see you back again soon.

ireland
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Communicaiton in advance of arriving was excellent with quick responses to requests around appointments in the spa and a table for dinner. On arrival Michael made us feel extremely welcome, and a valued visitor to Rathmullan House. We had a clear explanation of all the facilities and a quick guided tour around the public areas. The hotel sits on an elevated site overlooking Lough Swilly surrounded by manicured gardens with a real Irish country estate feel - sweeping lawns, walled vegetable and fruit garden, crunchy gravel drives. There is a short path which gives you direct access to the beach and it is a ten minute walk into Rathmullan village, whcih has a handful of pubs, restaurants and local shops (butcher, Spar, garage). We had booked a Superior Room and it was beautiful - very large with an entrance hall, a large bathroom with a free standing old fashioned bath tub, separate large walk-in shower, and views over the garden. The bedroom was very large with a king sized bed, sofas and easy chairs, mirrors galore and coffee making facilities. The decor looked quite new and the ornaments and paintings were "olde worlde". The view was over Lough Swilly out the front bay window and over the garden on the other two sides - the windows are original sash, so a wee bit draughty up close, but authentic. The room was warm anyway. Some noises during the night - creaky old building noises, but again it all added to the authentic old country house experience. The breakfast is a fantastic event - fresh juices, fruit, cheeses, ham, yougharts, cereals, pastries, cakes... and then the friendly breakfast team take your order for cooked breakfast! Oh wow, make sure you leave room for this meal! Really delicious - freshly cooked (not a buffet that has been sitting for a while under heat lamps!). It was quite expensive for one night away - 270 euros including dinner and a couple of glasses of wine for two people, but I felt it was value for money. And I felt like Rathmullan House staff really enjoyed having my husband and I visit them. The staff smile, they are attentive, they care. Well done!

Room Tip: Room 4 has a gorgeous bathroom and views over the gardens and Lough Swilly
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rathmullan4, Receptionist at Rathmullan House, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Over the year's we have always tried to maintain an old worldy charm to the hotel.

Thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you back again soon.

Michael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rathmullan
Shandon Hotel and Spa
#3 of 3 in Downings
Arnolds Hotel
Arnolds Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dunfanaghy

Been to Rathmullan House? Share your experiences!