Communicaiton in advance of arriving was excellent with quick responses to requests around appointments in the spa and a table for dinner. On arrival Michael made us feel extremely welcome, and a valued visitor to Rathmullan House. We had a clear explanation of all the facilities and a quick guided tour around the public areas. The hotel sits on an elevated site overlooking Lough Swilly surrounded by manicured gardens with a real Irish country estate feel - sweeping lawns, walled vegetable and fruit garden, crunchy gravel drives. There is a short path which gives you direct access to the beach and it is a ten minute walk into Rathmullan village, whcih has a handful of pubs, restaurants and local shops (butcher, Spar, garage). We had booked a Superior Room and it was beautiful - very large with an entrance hall, a large bathroom with a free standing old fashioned bath tub, separate large walk-in shower, and views over the garden. The bedroom was very large with a king sized bed, sofas and easy chairs, mirrors galore and coffee making facilities. The decor looked quite new and the ornaments and paintings were "olde worlde". The view was over Lough Swilly out the front bay window and over the garden on the other two sides - the windows are original sash, so a wee bit draughty up close, but authentic. The room was warm anyway. Some noises during the night - creaky old building noises, but again it all added to the authentic old country house experience. The breakfast is a fantastic event - fresh juices, fruit, cheeses, ham, yougharts, cereals, pastries, cakes... and then the friendly breakfast team take your order for cooked breakfast! Oh wow, make sure you leave room for this meal! Really delicious - freshly cooked (not a buffet that has been sitting for a while under heat lamps!). It was quite expensive for one night away - 270 euros including dinner and a couple of glasses of wine for two people, but I felt it was value for money. And I felt like Rathmullan House staff really enjoyed having my husband and I visit them. The staff smile, they are attentive, they care. Well done!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rathmullan House is situated on the shores of Lough Swilly in Co. Donegal. With a 2 mile sandy beach at the bottom of the gardens it is a perfect spot to enjoy the outdoors. All 32 bedrooms are individually styled from romantic garden rooms to adjoining family rooms. The Weeping Elm Restaurant provides a fine setting for Kelan McMichaels modern cooking as well as the award winning breakfast for which Rathmullan is justly famous. Menus are based on using the freshest ingredients in season from local artisan producers and from the hotels walled garden. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Rathmullan House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rathmullan House Hotel Rathmullan
- House Rathmullan
- Rathmullan Hotel
- Rathmullan House Ireland - County Donegal