I've visited Rathmullan House twice now - once for an overnight stay and a second time to stay locally with friends and call into the hotel in passing. I'm counting down the days until my next visit.
Without a doubt the classiest hotel I've ever stayed at - with a distinct elegance and a real sense of pride in the family business. The house is steeped in history, full to the brim with character and charm. Rooms are spacious, immaculate and very comfortable.
Friends and I ate dinner in the fabulous Weeping Elm restaurant and were served prosecco and canopes in the drawing room beforehand which was a real treat. Breakfast was a feast and lovely to look out on the hotel gardens over coffee in the morning. We also made a few trips to the quirky Cellar Bar which is great for hearty bar food and maybe a cheeky Guinness in the afternoon. As if that's not enough, there's also luxury high tea served in the library, with warm home-made scones and delicious jam. Pure indulgence!
The hotel overlooks a stunning lake - Loch Swilly - and a short walk across the hotel grounds will lead you right to the beach, which stretches for miles along the gorgeous Donegal coastline. The quaint little town of Rathmullan also offers a selection of cute cafes and pubs and again is only a stroll from the hotel.
A final point worth a mention is the self-sufficiency of the place, which really blew me away. The hotel boasts gardens bursting with seasonal fruit and veg which will appear on your dinner plate the same evening. I'm told the chefs and staff also partake in scallop diving and mushroom foraging, and I just love the passion and personal touch that brings to your stay.
I can't recommend this place enough, and am always encouraging friends and family to take a trip. The price will set you back a bit but is guaranteed not to disappoint and you will get every penny's worth in sunny walks along the beach, the smell of fresh scones and friendly attentive service from the staff.
Put this on your list of places to visit this year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rathmullan House is situated on the shores of Lough Swilly in Co. Donegal. With a 2 mile sandy beach at the bottom of the gardens it is a perfect spot to enjoy the outdoors. All 32 bedrooms are individually styled from romantic garden rooms to adjoining family rooms. The Weeping Elm Restaurant provides a fine setting for Kelan McMichaels modern cooking as well as the award winning breakfast for which Rathmullan is justly famous. Menus are based on using the freshest ingredients in season from local artisan producers and from the hotels walled garden. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Agoda so you can book your Rathmullan House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rathmullan House Hotel Rathmullan
- House Rathmullan
- Rathmullan Hotel
- Rathmullan House Ireland - County Donegal