“Perfect place to unwind”
Jack and Jill family bathroom Twin bedroom
Sauna
Twin bedroom
Garden
Landing
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
skeldv
Horwich, United Kingdom
“Perfect place to unwind”
Reviewed June 30, 2018 for a stay in June 2018

Just returned from a 4 day stay here with our 2 dogs. Beautiful, fully equipped, cottage with everything necessary for a real home from home feel. Comfortable and cosy. Very dog friendly. Numerous walks from the door. Within easy walking distance of the local dog friendly pub, The Miners Arms, which serves great food. Just a short drive away from many other attractions.....details and directions provided at the cottage. Lovely and helpful hosts. The garden, with fabulous views of the surrounding countryside, is just the perfect place to sit, unwind and enjoy a glass of wine.

Jun 30, 2018
We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for being perfect guests and leaving the cottage so clean and tidy. We hope to see you again so you can use the fire! Repeat bookers get 10% discount!
stevecapr...
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Mr”
Reviewed April 26, 2018 for a stay in April 2018

My partner and I stayed here last weekend. It’s a lovely 200 year old cottage in a fabulous location, with beautiful walks on your doorstep, and all the amenities you could need, including a sauna! The closest town is Alston, that is steeped in history, and is well worth a visit. But it was nice to return to Sunrise Cottage each evening, to sit at the kitchen table and enjoy the view. Pippa is a lovely host, and is there if you have any queries.
If you’re looking for a few days away in an unspoilt and beautiful part of our country, in excellent accommodation, then Sunrise Cottage is the place.

Apr 28, 2018
Thank you Steve! We're pleased you enjoyed Sunrise Cottage and its surroundings and hope to see you return one day. We'd also like to thank you for leaving everything so clean and tidy - it was a pleasure to have you staying!
Jon F
“Great cottage and location”
Reviewed September 19, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

Sunrise Cottage is a superb cottage in a superb location for exploring northern England, both to the east and west and Pippa and John were great hosts.

Upon our arrival we were shown around the cottage by Pippa and she explained where things were to be found in the cottage and how to switch things on/off. She also pointed out that the water had a brown tinge to it as it came off the moores. I'm someone that after a cup of coffee in the morning I mostly drink lemon squash for most of the rest of the day, and the was water perfectly drinkable and didn't cause me any issues.

The water was always piping hot from the taps and in the shower. The kitchen is well equipped and the cooker was easy to use. The views from the kitchen are superb and on a couple of mornings whilst eating breakfast we were lucky enough to watch roe deer in the fields below.

The lounge/living room is comfy and when you return after a days walking and a hot shower it is probably the cosiest lounge we've stayed in when you get the fire going in the evening, proper toastie. We stayed from 2nd Sept' 2017 to the 12th so autumn had already started to show it's hand but I say again "proper toastie".

We also had our German Shorthaired Pointer, Saff, with us and she loved the fire. She was also made to feel welcome and we had read the terms & con's before arrival so we'd come prepared knowing she wasn't allowed in the bedrooms.

Perhaps also worth mentioning re' the lounge is the dreaded "internet". Pippa had warned us that if we wanted to use it we'd have to sit by the window in the twin bedroom. We may have been lucky but I was able to sit in the lounge and watch the Wasps v Worcester Warriors rugby without any breackage in coverage.

The cottage's aspect is also good for exploring the north. We did Keswick and the northern lakes in an hour and on another day we did, Otterburn, Cragside and Alnwick. On our outward journey we took the scenic moore roads but on our return we used the busier A roads and from Alnwick to Sunrise took 90 mins, but this was on a Friday afternoon and we caught Newcastle's rush hour slightly.

Cragside is worth a visit. It was built by Lord Armstrong and was the 1st house in the world to be run by hydro-electricity. Dogs are welcome in the gardens and wider estate but not the house. I've previously been around the house as I worked there for a month on a previous works contract.

The walking from the cottage is great. We did Wellhope moore including some of Issac's tea trail. There are good walks from Garrigill along the river and farmland or on the higher moores on the corpse track/road.

Lambley viaduct was an enjoyable mainly leisurely walk (1 steep descent & ascent) as was the walk out toward Slaggyford along the South Tyne Railway.

Alston is nice friendly little town. There is a small bakers offering home baked small loaves and pies. Also visit the shop that is a small co-operative of local producers. The home made brown sauce was lovely. I took 3 bottles home. The chippy was also really good and when we used it it was quiet so our food was cooked to order, they didn't just give us stuff that had been sat for ages. We used the cooking time for a pint and found the pubs to be friendly to us and Saff.

All in all we had a fab 10 days. The is plenty to see and do and the cottage and Pippa and John were superb. Would definately recommend and would happily book again without any concerns.

Jon.

Coventry

Sep 21, 2017
Thank you so much for your review - we always enjoy having guests who appreciate what our rural setting has to offer. It's also nice to get recommendations for places to visit that we've not yet been to - we've put Cragside on our list! We hope to see you, Mandi and Saff again (10% discount for repeat bookers!)
255Anna25...
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Mrs”
Reviewed September 6, 2017 for a stay in August 2017

Recently visited this cottage with with my husband and dog.
This cottage is has a beautiful setting but unfortunately did not have a good experience.
We were booked for 7 days but only managed to stay 3.
Very cold, even in August, no heating on the first night due to the owner not leaving matches for the fire.
Couldn't use upstairs as far too cold, so my husband and I had to sleep on two single beds downstairs.
So cold that we had to leave the bedroom door open so we could get some warmth from the coal fire
The dog came in the room at night when we were asleep so £25 was taken off our deposit.
Shouldn't advertise as a dog friendly site when obviously they are not.

Beds were so uncomfortable,
And lopsided that left my side sore and bruised.
Was told that it was 40 drive to Windermere but took us an hour and a half.

First night there I had a cup of tea and when I looked at the water from the tap it was brown but didn't realise so next morning I spent the whole day feeling sick, we were travelling to Windermere that day and we stopped in total of 11 times because of illness which I believe was the water.
I ran a bath on the 3rd night and to my amazement only filled up the bath a quarter then ran cold but decided not to have a bath in the end has it came out brown.
Had to leave the next morning.
Not at all happy and definitely
would not recommend this cottage although looks nice from photos but unfortunately wasn't what we were
expecting.

Sep 8, 2017
I’m so sorry you were disappointed with your stay at Sunrise Cottage.
When you arrived at 10.30 p.m. on the Saturday evening I let you into the cottage which was not cold. There were two night storage heaters on all the time you were there. I showed you around and told you to let us know if you had any problems.
To address your complaints:
I apologise for having forgotten to replace the matches – I took away a nearly empty box and forgot to bring the full one. I admit this was my fault.
It was, however, on the second night, Sunday, that you attempted to light a fire. In so doing you managed to set off the smoke alarm as you had left the stove door open. You knocked on our door at 10.30 p.m. to tell us. John came round in his dressing gown to check the alarm and you made no mention of being cold.
You sent me an email at 18.40 on Sunday evening to say there were no matches and unfortunately I was out with no internet and didn’t open this until the following morning and immediately came round with a box of matches. Your husband told me he had already bought some and when asked if everything was all right again said that it was.
I’m sorry you found the beds uncomfortable. It is the first time we have received a complaint about them and, in fact, have been told how comfy and cosy they are. We do accept people’s experience of beds and bedding can be very subjective and maybe you are not used to the soft feather and down of our quilts and pillows.
I told you that Penrith was a 40 minute drive – which it is! You had said that you wanted to visit the Lake District while you were here, not that you wanted to go to Windermere (the most southerly part!) every day. It is a shame that you didn’t explore some of the equally lovely places of interest more locally.
When you arrived I explained that the water comes off the hillside and has a brownish tinge but that it comes through two filters and UV and had passed its annual safety check with Eden Council earlier this summer.
To imply on a public website (especially after this explanation) that you were ill due to our water is bordering on libellous. Again, you made no mention of this when John asked if everything was all right. If you had he would have reiterated this explanation. It seems to us that you have now built up a grievance against us and are trying to blame us for the travel sickness from which you told me you suffer (in your email of 29th August). The roads around here are very steep and winding.
I am sorry you had a cold bath but I think this is probably due to you not having put the immersion on beforehand. I had shown you the switch on arrival and told you to turn it on and off as you needed it. When I came to clean the cottage the water was warm so you must have had it on after your cold bath.
When you asked to book I sent you the terms and conditions and dog rules as I do with everyone to ensure that the accommodation meets the guests’ needs. I asked you to read them before returning your booking form. In these it clearly says,
“Dogs are not allowed upstairs nor in the downstairs bedroom.”
“Any damage or any extra cleaning required if the property is left dirty will be charged against your security/damages deposit.”
And, also,
“Please clean up after your dog/s – both inside and out.”
In your email of 10th August you said, “Hi Pippa, yes all fine with terms and conditions”
I only retained £20 of your deposit (not £25) which, considering the extra time I spent removing dog hairs and the extra laundry caused by your dog having slept on both the patchwork bedspreads without even a dog throw, seems a very small recompense for my work. I take great care to ensure that the cottage is spotless when people arrive and, although we allow dogs, we also have guests without dogs and I would not want their experience spoilt by dog hairs and smells.
I am sorry that the cottage “wasn’t what you were expecting” and very disappointed that you were unable to let us know personally instead of resorting to spiteful and potentially damaging comments on a public site. You gave us no inkling of your feelings and when we came back from Alston and found the keys through the letterbox with no note of explanation we were very surprised and went into the cottage where it was obvious that you had left in a hurry so we wondered if you had a family emergency. I emailed you to ask if everything was all right and if there had been any problem and you replied,
“No of course not we enjoyed our stay very much . You have a beautiful cottage and made us very welcome.”
Apart from forgetting the matches I am at a loss to know what we have done to justify this cruel review which could lose us much needed business.
Rowanpook...
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous cottage and fab hosts”
Reviewed April 28, 2017 for a stay in April 2017

This cottage is just lovely with original stone floors and stunning views, it's very spacious and comfortable and the sauna is an added bonus! The hosts gave us homemade lemon drizzle cake on arrival and had decorated for Easter, both lovely unexpected touches. The cottage is very well situated for lovely walks and local pubs but is definitely a lovely peaceful break from the hustle and bustle of day to day life. Will definitely be returning!

Apr 30, 2017
We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you and your lovely baby again - can't always promise Easter eggs but we can definitely provide a lemon drizzle cake!
Global629...
“A great place to unwind in beautiful peaceful countryside”
Reviewed April 17, 2017 for a stay in April 2017
person found this review helpful

Beautiful location with fantastic views. Very well appointed and comfortable cottage with excellent facilities, a four-poster bed and friendly hosts. Well equipped kitchen with nice touches of essentials already in the fridge. Great walks to friendly local pubs with good food, log fires and live music on some nights (unfortunately not when we were visiting). The pretty town of Alston with interesting local shops, cafes and pubs was within easy reach for supplies. After a day out and about we relaxed in the sauna to recharge the batteries.

Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Apr 20, 2017
Glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again. We'll try to find some live music for you next time!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing