“A Class Act”

Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Killiney
Reviewed August 22, 2008

This is one of those hotels that is not what it seems,often marketed as the DUBLIN CASTLE HOTEL,this gives the impression that it is in(or at least is walking distance from) the city of Dublin & that it is a castle-WRONG!
I'll tackle the castle bit first,it is one of those old buildings which was a large house which somebody decided to build (roughly) in the manner of a castle & called it such,I guess 'cos they wanted to!
As for it's location,it is not far from Dublin in real terms,you can see Dublin quite clearly from it's grounds, but it is in a pretty remote spot,up a very steep hill,it is not the easiest of places to find in a maze of narrow roads,if you are not in a vehicle beware,you need to be pretty fit if you are going to go anywhere!
Having stayed there as a kid in the '60s this was no surprise to me,it was just a place of great memories that I had to get back to,although it was a shock how much steeper the hills seem when you are 40 years older!
This was our second stay in recent years & both times the place,amazingly considering its location,has been packed,many have been first time visitors who did not expect to be so isolated & many are more local,usually there for weddings for which it is rightly very popular.
For us the effort is always worth it,it is a beautiful hotel,from the moment you enter through the front door(up steps just as it was all those years ago-yes more climbing!) you are met with a superbly appointed hotel,the lounge & bar area are superb places to relax,such a wonderful atmosphere,there is an excellent pool,a fitness centre & the rooms are very well appointed & spotless,many with a view over Dublin Bay.
All the staff were very friendly & helpful,the food superb(both in the bar & the two restaurants).
The grounds of the hotel are particularly nice making them ideal( weather permitting!) for wedding photographs & for a leisurely stroll,further affield the villages of Killiney & Dalkey are within walking distance,as is Killiney Hill with it's outstanding views,BUT beware the walks to Dalkey & Killiney Hill involve steep climbs in one direction or the other,curiously enough the walk to Killiney village seems to involve climbing in both directions(well it is Ireland!).
Another word of warning regarding eating at the hotel,it is advisable,in our experience,to book in advance,either when you arrive or by email beforehand,the two restaurants can get very busy,it's hard work finding somewhere else to eat!
Overall a beautiful hotel just as long as you are not expecting to easily head for the shops & sights of Dublin City.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank a1snaefell
Write a ReviewReviews (1,439)

Reviewed August 19, 2008

Stayed at the Fitzpatrick for a week at the beginning of August on a deal which included breakfast and two evening meals at the hotel restaurants. Would recommend contacting the hotel direct rather than using the website as we seemed to get a better deal that way. Rooms were nicely decorated, spotlessly clean and had the comfiest beds anywhere! The buffet breakfast was HUGE and delicious. Would recommend dinner at the Dungeon restaurant in the hotel too. Staff were very friendly and helpful.Dublin city centre was quickly and easily reached via the local Dart station in Dalkey - a short walk from the hotel. Would recommend the Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel to anyone visiting Dublin

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Booked an ordinary twin without a view, but got a superior room with a view, that's what I call a welcome surprise!

Everything was perfect, Breakfast fantastic, Dinner very good indeed. WiFi throughout the hotel, so you can stay in touch with the world.

A walk up the Killiney Hill to the tower and then a dip into the swimming pool is perfect before breakfast.

Reviewed July 23, 2008

Based on the previous reviews, I had very high expectations. Our stay was fine, but for some reason I felt something was missing. We had a few hiccups with check in. We were supposed to have an early check-in, but when we arrived it fell through. At the time, we were told we'd already been booked in the larger room with balcony and view of the harbor. When we actually got our room there was no balcony or view and the clerk (the same one we had talked to two hours earlier) had no record of the balcony. The room was very large, to the point that I'm not sure what we were supposed to do with all that room. The bedding and furniture were a little shabby. The bathroom was also a good size, but could have used a really good scrubbing. The public areas were pretty, but the business center was disappointing (no internet access during the entire stay). We had dinner in the Dungeon. The food was very good but they were short staffed and the place was incredibly noisy. We had lunch down the hill in Dalkey at Finnigan's. I highly recommend the place -- great food and beautiful place. It was our last night before going to the Dublin airport. I guess I was expecting to be pampered/royal treatment. It felt more like a very nice Marriott.

Reviewed July 15, 2008

Stayed for just one night in order to do some sightseeing in Dublin city the following day before moving on with the rest of our trip.
The hotel is very impressive set in lovely grounds overlooking Dublin bay, although our room was looking at another part of the building. No problem for us as we were there just for one evening, I am sure they would have moved us if we were staying longer and had asked. Very friendly people for a large hotel.
Pool was great, but the bar prices were a little high to say the least.
We had a hire car for our trip and we parked at the Dart station car park (popular, so go early for a spot) for the 20 min ride into Dublin city - best way to do it I think. Then we took an open top bus to get some sightseeing done. The live comentary from the driver was outstanding - he was so funny we went all the way around on his tour before stopping at some vantage points such as Guinness brewery. Then back on the bus as the ticket lasts 24 hours 'hop on hop off' system - great. All drivers are informative but the first one had definately kissed the Blarney stone.
Cant comment on the food at the hotel because we ate elsewhere, taking advise from other travellers as the hotel is rather expensive - 19 euros for breakfast (it might be good tho??)

Reviewed June 28, 2008

On arrival the drive up to the hotel was lovely, the grounds very well kept and giving you the feeling that your in for a surprise. Having read reviews from here on this hotel I did cringe a little and expected the worst. Maybe thats what made it exceptional. The best way to get around is to hire a car as you are a little outside the city however the dart (fast rail service) is available in Sandycove and very reasonably priced which takes you to the city. The hotel receptionist was male on arrival and welcomed me and my partner to the hotel. I was offered help with my bags and explained how to use my room phone for help. We both felt like a swim and as guests the use of the gym, pool, sauna and steam room is free. This was very relaxing and we were given towels and swim hats at the reception entering the gym as guests free of charge also. Be careful going into the steam room and sauna as I nearly slipped on the steps leading down there despite the warning sign I did see. The room was comfortable, bed was clean however the lace curtain needed a scrub. after that I have to say the room was very much 3 to 4 star style and very spacious room 329, this does not have a baloney but does offer a view of the harbor. As it was a Friday night the dungeon bar had a pianist playing and I enjoyed it very much with a very well presented cocktail which tasted divine but would want to at 9:50eur a glass. Before hitting the sack I decided to have one last cocktail upstairs in the main bar. Same price but badly presented and tasted awful. The room cleaners start early the next morning and like to make noise so make sure you hang your do not disturb up if you don't want them knocking the door down. Friendly staff. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank House_Inspector
Reviewed June 8, 2008

This property is beautiful. It seems peaceful and serene. It is an imposing building and you really do feel that you are staying in a castle even if all you see is the car park. The lobby/lounge are quite impressive and you feel comfortable just grabbing a comfy chair and some tea.

To get your luggage up to your room, you first have to drag it down a couple of stair to get to the lift. This annoyed me and with a baby in a pram getting the baby up and down those two stairs just confuddled me as to their purpose.

Our room was nice. We had a balcony and a wonderful view of the harbor. The bed was comfy and the bedding was nice. There were the appropriate amenities. Towels were a little thin, and no wash clothes. However... the room and bathroom were dated and dingy. Not as in "yuck" but more as in, could you run a steam cleaner soon and perhaps take care of the mold in the door jam? The edges and the trim were falling apart and the bathroom fixtures were also quite dated and worn. The door into the room was thin- very, very thin. But it was a quiet room so I don't know that it was truly a problem.

We did walk into town to eat dinner and the walk took us about 15 down and 20 up. It is a steep-ish hill so plan on a cab if your knees aren't what they once were.

In closing, this was a great place to stay and I did enjoy it. But for the money I wasn't 100% sold and the dirty and worn parts did disappoint me. It was very peaceful though and sure beat the rush rush of Dublin.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killiney
Royal Marine Hotel
Haddington House
Haddington House
#2 of 5 in Dun Laoghaire
Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel, Dublin

Been to Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin? Share your experiences!