“cheap as chips & clean”
Review of Wilton Hotel Bray

Wilton Hotel Bray
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Bray
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed here for two nights with the grandchildren 8 & 5, there was a double & bunks which the kids loved set outside bray a little it was just 9 euros for a taxi into the beachfront at night to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, plenty of amusements for kids but they are expensive, same as everywhere, breakfast was great and all for 85 euros a night for 4 couldn't beat it :-)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
HeleOReilly, Manager at Wilton Hotel Bray, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Hello May,

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review of the Wilton Hotel. I am glad to hear you and your grand children enjoyed your stay here. The bunk beds are a great bonus for the kids. Its great to know you took advantage of our local taxi company and the attractions in the area. The amusements can be expensive but I'm sure the kids enjoyed themselves :) . We do have some fantastic discounts and offer a wide range off family rooms to suit all.

We hope to welcome you back again in future.

Wilton Hotel

Reviewed July 31, 2013

The Wilton has changed hands and names several times and is beginning to show the effects. It is in need of a makeover soon before it slips to a 1 star. That said, as a business stopover it serves its purpose. The food I had was good and reasonably priced. The room sufficient for a couple of nights and the staff were pleasant and friendly.

This really isn't a hotel I would tell people to stay at if on holiday. It is too far from the town centre and rail link and there really is nothing to do within reasonable walking distance - I know as I used to live around the corner.

If a little money were spent on the hotel this would definitely take business from more expensive Dublin business hotels. The motorway is a 2 minute drive from the door and the airport would also be only 30-40 minutes away.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
HeleOReilly, Manager at Wilton Hotel Bray, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Hello Sean,

I am happy to hear you found the staff pleasant, friendly and enjoyed the food at the Wilton Hotel. Our menu is very competitively priced and offers a steak for only €14.95.

The hotel itself has changed names over the years but the owners have remained the same. We have had some on going refurbishments done that were put on hold during the summer and wish to continue this over the next few months. We are 2 kilometres from bray main street and have a local bus stop right around the corner from the hotel with easy access to bray town centre and the train.

Thank you for your comments, I have taken them back to the management team. I do hope that you will give us a 2nd chance and the opportunity to redeem ourselves with another visit.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We booked in to stay 2 nights, the first hour said all I looked for my money back for the second night, the food for evening meal was not great, the girls at the reception desk needs communication skills, the bar was a joke, for 95 euro a night the place needs a lot of work and new staff... Never ever would I come back to this hotel if you can call it a hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Cats26

Hello Cats26,

I am disappointed to hear you did not have a good experience while staying at the Wilton Hotel. If you could please get in touch with Karen or Jessica at info@wiltonhotelbray.com to further discuss this matter.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We are regulars to this hotel as the family rooms are definitely the best around(normally) and we have a large family.It has great deals,a great breakfast and is an ideal place to explore the Wicklow area.However,on this visit,we felt a bit let down.We stayed here as an overnight stop on the way the Wexford.I had requested a larger family room (as we always do) as we have 3 children plus an infant.On this occasion,we didn`t get the larger room (understandable in busy times)or even one of the smaller family rooms.The hotel was very busy but we still always manage to get a smaller family room which is adequate for us.I had booked in advance.
We had the friendly greeting that we always receive and were handed keys to room number 230 which we had never stayed in before.The room had enough beds for our party but otherwise no space.We choose the Wilton purely because of the spacious family rooms.Please ask NOT to be placed in this room with children.
On entering the room,it was stuffy so I opened a window.As all other rooms have safety catches on the windows,I leant over to open it and almost fell out.There was NO safety catch to ensure the window could be opened to a safe opening.It opened right out and as it was waist high,I almost fell.I spent the evening ensuring the kids didn`t go near it.My 2 year old slipped on the bathroom floor.I went to see where it was wet.It was actually the carpet right outside the bathroom door.There must have been a leaky pipe under the carpet as it was soaking.This meant we got wet feet before entering the bathroom which was then slippery.The room was otherwise clean.I did call down to reception to ask for a room change but was told they were booked up.We were only staying one night so I just put up with it.The room also over-looked the rubbish yard and staff smoking area.Not nice and I smoke myself.
The next morning we had the usual brilliant breakfast which was well stocked and organised with very friendly staff.They always remember us and are great with my children which is a huge bonus and makes the experience special and personal.
I did mention the faults with the room on checking out and they said they would fix the window and check for the leak.
I just think that these flaws should have been checked before putting a family in a room that clearly wasn`t suitable for them.They were a danger and I`m just glad that an accident didn`t happen before it was noticed.
I don`t complain normally as I do love the Wilton and its staff but I do like to be honest about anything that I would find a worry :)

1  Thank blueraven1

Hello Blueraven,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review as we appreciate all feedback which can help the hotel to keep improving our services. I am very disappointed to hear your stay was not as good as previous stays with us. Unfortunately this standard family room does face the backyard of the hotel and I apologise for any disturbances caused during your stay. Thank you for bringing the window safety and wet carpet to the attention off our staff, these have been fixed since your stay with us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our breakfast again.

Please contact myself or Karen on info@wiltonhotelbray.com should you wish to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights this week, loved it. Can't understand some of the reviews on here. If you want to stay in a 5* hotel take yourself off into Dublin and see how much they charge! We booked the family room (my wife, 3yo son and I) and could not believe the size of it, 1 double and 3 large singles, 2 dressers, small table and armchair, tv and dvd player(handy for son who had brought a wee portable player). Admittedly it wasn't all pristene but nowadays people foolishly expect what Alex Polizzi expects. Others have slated the trek from the hotel to Bray but according to my car it is 1.4 miles or less from car park to beach. Breakfast is first class, great selection and very tasty full Irish. I did not use the restaurant for lunch and dinner but did eat in lounge and outside area, found the menu to be very good and of average price for the area. Would recommend the afternoon tea for 2, very filling. All staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. All in all The Wilton had what we wanted and when we return to the area we will definitely be staying there.

Room Tip: Our family room was #206.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
HeleOReilly, Owner at Wilton Hotel Bray, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Hello Morty4718,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your lovely review for the Wilton Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We have very large family rooms which a great for catering for families of up to 6 people and are located just outside of bray with the local bus stop right outside the hotel which takes a couple of minutes to get to bray. We pride ourselves on our buffet breakfast and as it is the first meal of the day, we believe it should be '1st class' as you put it :) .
I am glad you found our staff pleasant and helpful.

We do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Myself, husband and 2 kids stayed here early July. We were attending the groove festival for the weekend ( which was brill :) ) so decided to stay at the Wilton hotel. Hotel is very basic staff pleasant but definately not over friendly very little welcome when checking in, at breakfast we were greeted with good morning by a lovely lady not sure of her name. Breakfast was ok, rooms were clean but nothing fancy and very very warm and no amenties onsite we took our children swimming in a local leisure centre a couple of minutes up the road. I dont really have to much to say for the hotel. I would not recommend the hotel for a break away although if it was to attend an event in the Kilruddery Estate then the location of this hotel is perfect!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
HeleOReilly, Manager at Wilton Hotel Bray, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Hello Terri,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review as we appreciate all feedback which can help the hotel to keep improving. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the Groove festival during your stay with us, We are in a great location for such events. I am sorry to hear your check in was not very welcoming, this is not what I expect from my staff and will be speaking to the staff regarding this issue. I am pleased to know the restaurant staff were welcoming. Unfortunately we don't have a leisure centre on site but are lucky to have a public one close by to cater for the children and families.

I am sorry to hear you would not recommend the hotel and hope that you will give us a 2nd chance with another visit. Please contact myself or Karen on 01 2760258 or at info@wiltonhotelbray.com if you wish to make a booking.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel looks lovely online and certainly receives good reviews. We had a few blips at the start of our stay but the staff were fantastic at sorting things promptly and without a fuss! They really went out of their way to ensure that the initial problems we had did not spoil our stay. Thank you.
The breakfast is good but things could be better laid out and some fresh fruit (other than apples) and yogurts would have been lovely.
Spacious rooms, very comfy but plug sockets an issue (the lack there of)! While we were here, there was a heat wave and the room was very warm. Perhaps air conditioning would be helpful!
Fantastic free wifi service though out the hotel which is very handy in this technological day and age!
Special thanks to Jessica who was fantastic, friendly and a real asset to the hotel!
We hope to return again sometime!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Hello Graeme,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review as we appreciate all feedback which can help the hotel to keep improving. I am disappointed to hear you had a few blips at the start of your stay but happy to know these were sorted promptly and did not affect the rest of your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our breakfast and take all guest comments with gratitude, I have passed on these comments to the restaurant manger for further discussion. I have also passed on your comments regarding air conditioning and have recommend fans as an option. Great to hear you enjoyed the free wifi during your stay.

I would like to express many thanks for your lovely comments. I feel that every guest should be comfortable, relaxed & enjoy there stay with us. I always try to put myself in the guests shoes and I find a smile goes a long way :)

We do hope to see you again in the future and make your stay as pleasant as it was this time.

Many Thanks
Wilton Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bray
Esplanade Hotel
#2 of 2 in Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy

Been to Wilton Hotel Bray? Share your experiences!