1,198 results
All reviews short break enjoyable stay great weekend both nights food was lovely dart station sea front merrill guinness wicklow
Reviewed May 13, 2007

My mother & I arrived in Bray on Friday at 2pm & heading straight for the hotel, which was a 5 minute walk from the train station. When we arrived the girl at reception could not find our booking and gave me a gentlemans registration forms to sign in. I pointed out the mistake and proceeded to wait. There where three other people working at the reception desk, none of which intervened to help. After 20 mins we were giving our room key and we proceeded to the lift. We got the lift to the first floor and went to our room. When we opened the room door we were shocked to see how small the room was and there was only one double bed. You could just manage to walk around the bed and no more without bumping into the walls. My mother looked out the tiny bedroom window on to what looked like the hotels general dumping ground and service area. I immediately call reception to inform them of my unhappiness and was told there were no other twin rooms available. We headed for reception because we had intended to check out.

You only get one chance at a first impression and the one I received from the Royal was not good.

When we went to reception the girl told me to take a seat, she was going to upgrade us to an executive room free of charge. After waiting a hour in the lobby with our suitcase, we went to the new room which was easily 4 times the size of the previous room but there was nothing executive about this room. I would have expected this room to begin with.

When we entered the room there was a fusty smell which we could not figure out what it was. The following morning I got into the shower only to realize whilst in the shower, that there was no shower gel or shampoo in the dispenser so, I had to look for the tiny bar of soap which was miserably supplied by the hotel.

We went down for breakfast which I could only describe as organised chaotic created by the restaurant manager. He was extremely rude and kept guest waiting before seating them. I feel this was done to heighten his own importance as there were plently of free tables. The breakfast choice was limited and the hot food was greasy.

I had booked a table for 5.30pm Saturday in the restaurant for our evening meal as I had plans that evening and wanted to be away early. The restaurant manger met us at the door, asked my room number and name and the abruptly dismissed us back out to the bar for 30 mins as he was not ready for service. The manager was French, I think. When we returned to the restaurant at 6pm we were left standing at the desk like beggars, it was a terrible feeling. When we got seated the menu was bland, boring and frankly, I could have cooked better at home. The service was slack and there was only 3 other couples in the restaurant. The manager keep turning people away at the door telling them their reservation was not until 10 mins or 20 mins later. We could not understand why, there where lot of free tables and there was not that many people booked into the hotel. We had have know what the food was like, we would not have booked into the restaurant at all.

We checked out at 8.30 am Sunday morning because we could not wait to leave the hotel and Bray. This hotel is certainly not 4 star or even 3 star. The Irish Tourist board are always encouraging people to stay at home and experience their own country, the only irish person I met in the Royal Hotel was the bar man, everyone else was a foreign national. Bray is also caught in a time warp. There is nothing to do there, give Bray and the Royal Hotel a big miss. We should have checked out at the begin, I should have went with my first impression and gut feeling. I felt I was just killing time before I could go home and back to the 21st century, what is worse, I was paying of the pleasure of this experience.

Stayed: May 2007
6  Thank Kathleen1
Reviewed May 12, 2007

• Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed March 11, 2007

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 18, 2007

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2006

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)