The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Bray
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night in this hotel with a pigsback voucher. Hotel is in very good location and has good facilities. Staff were very helpful upon check in. Rooms are very very dated. Curtains do not fit the windows at all so was very bright in morning. Water for shower/bath was yellow/brown. There was a 21st birthday party on the night we stayed and some party goers stayed on our floor. Needless to say we got NO sleep. Guests came an went all through out the night until bright slamming doors, screaming and shouting. One group knocked on all doors every time they ran up and down . When I rang reception they did not seem phased - the man simply replied 'well there is a party on'. Totally disrespectful!! Did not get a wink of sleep, what I waste. I would not return.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Pas05
There are newer reviews for The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I honestly don't understand how this hotel has received so many negative reviews??? Just back from a 2 day stay and have to say it was very, very enjoyable. The hotel was very clean and our room was spotless and of good size. All the staff were very, very friendly and to get use of the pool, sauna, steam room and gym was excellent. We are going back to stay over Easter as they have great deals on for the kids and there is plenty to do in and around the town.

Room Tip: we were in room 354 and it was very, very good. Only downside was one of the windows was't doubl...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Liam H, General Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Dear Neil,

First let me say thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Royal Hotel, we appreciate this greatly.

I am thrilled reading your review and delighted to know you enjoyed your stay, this really does fill me with pride and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Do keep an eye out for special offers we run frequently.

Sincere Thanks

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Having read the other reviews I was very skeptical about staying at this hotel.
We were pleasantly surprised, we actually really liked the hotel. It wasn't modern but I like the cosy feel the hotel offered. Room was lovely & toasty!! there was a loud party one night but the staff were quick to put an end to it once there was a complaint made - (this could occur in any hotel)
The staff couldn't be more courteous and helpful especially the manager Liam. The food was really good, we had breakfast and an evening meal and they were really delicious also very reasonable in price. I also couldn't fault the spa it was lovely.
If you would usually choose to stay at a hotel based on location, comfort, food & staff, stay at the royal :) :)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Laura,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Royal Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for commenting so positively on so many aspects of your stay.

I look forward to sharing your feedback with our team here and I hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed here a few weeks ago as I was locked out of my own home on the same road as this hotel, it couldn't have been worse. It should be shut down until all refurbishments have been carried out or rooms offered for free. Charged 79 e without breakfast, lift wasn't working and I was put in a small room on top floor. Freezing in the room, springs from mattress stuck into my back so I did not sleep, duvet cover was torn and brown stains on very old carpet , I didn't want to remove my shoes or clothes. Bathroom looked like it was fitted by an amateur, edge of sink counter just sawn off, kept sneezing from the dust, old curtains and old windows kept no heat. couldn't wait to get home to have a shower in my own house. After contacting the manager I was told that if I had brought these issues to the attention of the staff on the night it could have been resolved, how I don't know as there would have to be better rooms in the hotel to resolve this. And if there are better rooms in the hotel why was I not put in one to begin with?Either the policy is to put guests in the worst rooms and leave them there if they don't complain or is it that all the rooms are as bad and this hotel should be shut down. I don't normally go to the trouble of complaining but as I pass this hotel every day I am constantly reminded how disgraceful it is and makes me feel ashamed of my environment.

Room Tip: don't stay here, there are other hotels in bray offering a much better service
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay at the Royal Hotel.

We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Thank you for your feedback, which is appreciated and has been passed on to all our Management Team. Please note that our Maintenance Manager has been notified of the issues and is taking steps to ensure these issues do not reoccur.

We are also sorry to hear that you found your stay to be expensive. We aim to provide excellent value and believe that our rates are very competitive.

We hope to welcome you back to Royal Hotel in the near future.

With kind regards,

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I wish i could find some positives, maybe the leisure centre is nice enough and the bar food wasn't bad. The restaurant, which I believe is very good, is not open during the week. Our room, 219 was very grubby and dated. The double bed(2 singles which didn't align) was uncomfortable. The bathroom was dirty, black mould behind the sink, tiles badly stained around the bath and the toilet hadn't been properly cleaned. The lift didn't work at all in the two days we were there. The carpets on the corridors were stained and torn. The bar lacked atmosphere and was cold and much too brightly lit. The staff were pleasant and did their best under the circumstances. This used to be a lovely hotel, its a shame that standards have slipped so badly.

Room Tip: Not 219 or any on that floor, believe there are better rooms in the newer part of the hotel???
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Singleton062

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback. I have certainly taken all of your points mentioned on board.

Just to mention our team of staff and managers have always tried our best to ensure our standards throughout all departments have and keep improving.

This does not excuse the issues you encountered throughout your stay & I do apologise for the negative feelings you left The Hotel with.The bar and Reception/ Lobby areas have been recently refurbished and within the next phase we have plans to renovate 40 bedrooms over the coming months.

I do hope I will get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Royal Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and it wasn't great. The room was very basic, there was a broken toilet seat and broken tiles on the floor. The bar is nice and the sea food chowder was tasty. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that your experience with us fell short of the standards we strive for. Your comments have been noted.

Thank you for your review as it is only when we are made aware of problems that we can address them. We would love you to return to us and should you do so, please make direct contact with me.

Regards

Reviewed February 28, 2014

hi we went to a murder mystery w/e to this hotel with ulster bus tours.the bus trip and driver were fantastic.we arrived at the hotel,welcomed with tea/coffee and bicuits.great!! we were allowcated room 120.well it was an awfull walk of bumpy winey corridoors,no help with bags or the offer of help.the room was in very bad order,the carpet was taped over the thread bear floor.there was a crack right across the wash basin.we were not impressed at all.cracks tiles on floor in bathroom. the manager came up at our request.he was very nice,but could do nothing for us,as all rooms were taken?the beds were comfy but covers were badly frayed.curtains were dirty,and ripped.a very unpleasant view from window,it could have been cleaned if nothing eles!! the furniture was good,and it was warm.the food was great the entertainment was great,the cast of the murder mystery show made everyone welcome and envolved.great fun.it really needs a lot of t.l.c.but over all the cast and staff did there very best,with what they had.for the price it was good value.

Room Tip: ask for a room near the reception area.its difficult to get to or even remember your direction.??
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

Unlike modern purpose built hotels with identical rooms, our rooms are adapted to accommodate existing period buildings. Many guests find this charming, while others do not. I have spoken at length with my Accommodation team to address the issues that you raised.

With regard to your service experience, I was very happy to read your comments with regard to both the food and staff.

I do hope I will get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future

With kind regards

Liam Hurley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bray
The Martello Hotel
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin

Been to The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club? Share your experiences!