1,198 results
All reviews short break enjoyable stay great weekend both nights food was lovely dart station sea front merrill guinness wicklow
Reviewed September 30, 2012

just back tonight had a great time all staff really nice and couldnt do enough for you rooms were clean food was very good merrill leisure club looked lovely music in hotel both nights really good thank you to all staff who all work very hard to keep every one happy my husband and i were with ulster bus tour

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Christopher O, Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review relating to the royal hotel and merrill leisure club . I have passed on your kind words on to the staff mentioned. I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon.
OPERATIONS MANAGER

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My girlfriend and i stayed in the hotel on the 7th and 8th of September.
When had been told about the hotel by some friends who had stayed there previously, as they noted how convenient the location was. Unfortunately, when we got there, our room was nothing like what had been advertised on the website, it smelled of damp, the paint was flaking on the walls and the room just felt grubby.
The one highlight of the hotel however was the leisure club. It was new,bright and clean, the complete opposite to the main hotel. We went for a swim and after got talking to the very friendly girl on the reception, who told us she was the manager, she helpfully recommened a few things to see in the area. We went out for the day to one of her suggestions, glendalough. When we got back to hotel she was still working greeted us with a smile and asked about our trip, a small thing but it really makes a difference.
If the rest of the hotel was up to the standard of the leisure centre it would be a fantastic hotel, unfortunately it currently has a jekel & Hyde feel.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Guest Thank you for yourreview relating to The Royal hotel and Merrill leisure club . I have passed on your kind words on to the staff mentioned. I am happy to let you know that we are in the process of re decorating our bedrooms floor by floor and customer care training with the staff, , this should rectify any issues with our rooms.I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon.
operations manager

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just back from a 2 night stay in this lovely town. The hotel is in a great location, a 5 minute walk from the stony beach and amusements, casino, and some nice restaurants / bars along the beach front.
Positives were the location, the beds were very comfortable and we had a very enjoyable meal in the bar one of the nights. Although we did not use the pool we had a look in and it does look very nice.
Unfortunately for us the negatives outweighed the positives on this trip. The hotel is dated, they really could do with a bit of re-decoration. Our room was very cold, even when we turned on the heating in the room it seemed to never warm up enough. We had 2 young kids with us so we got a family room, there were 2 double beds. We moved one of the double beds in against the wall ( to stop our boy falling out in the middle of the night ) and when we did this we found a pile of sweets / sweet wrappers / popcorn / receipts ( dating back as far as 7 weeks ago ) and an empty bottle of wine under it. So it seems the room is not thoroughly cleaned between visits.
Breakfast was not nice, everything was dripping in oil, it seemed like everything was just thrown into a deep fat fryer to be cooked.
The first morning we came down for breakfast ( at 9.30am so 1.5hours before breakfast serving was due to finish ) we were asked to go away and come back in 15 minutes. We decided to visit the games room ( which was one of the reasons we booked into the hotel), the room was so cold, the giant connect 4 had no bottom ( so the discs just fall out ) and the foosball table had just 3 legs. The room was nothing like what is pictured on their website.
And finally, it was difficult to get the kids to sleep at night because there was a lot of noise coming from the bar.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PammyandMarky
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The reception and bar of the Royal hotel are clean spacious and the reception staff we encountered were helpful and cheerful. The room is quite dated and could do with a bit of a revamp but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. We had booked a weekend deal including 2 nights b & b and one evening meal for two for 179 euro which we thought was reasonable. The real plus point for myself and my husband was the location of the hotel. having never been to Bra ( we usually stay Dublin city center) we were really pleasantly surprised. There is a lovely walk along the seafront and the cliff walk is just wonderful. We were going to a gig in Vicar street on the Friday night and a concert in the Aviva stadium on the Saturday night and found the dart service from Bray perfect for traveling in and out of the city center. The leisure club t the hotel is fabulous. It's a great bonus to be able to get up in the morning and make use of the swimming pool/sauna/jacuzzi/steam room. The food I the hotel was excellent. Both the breakfast and the inner were really tasty. the only downfall was that I found a lot of the dishes at breakfast were quite dirty like perhaps the dishwasher is not rinsing properly or has been overloaded. On the Saturday evening my husband and I returned to the hotel bar after our concert to find quite a lively band playing. unfortunately they were very loud so it was impossible to talk and the crowd in the bar were quite a bit older than us. We left and went to a bar just around the corner which was much more to our liking. As I mentioned the band are very loud and I think this is something the hotel would really need to address as we were in a room on the second floor and we could still hear them from there so I can only imagine how loud it must be in rooms on the first floor. It was no problem for my husband and I as it was quite late when we returned each night however I can imagine it being a problem if you had children with you or wanted an early night. Overall we had a really relaxing weekend and found the package very good value and intend to return in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the top of the hotel so you don't have to deal with noise from the bar.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest Thank you for your kind review relating to the royal hotel and merrill leisure club. I have passed on your kind words on to the staff . I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon.
operations Manager

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Reception area and bar were clean, spacious and nice, but the rooms were small and dated. Staff at reception were friendly and helpful. We had food in the bar which was lovely, as was breakfast. Although service was questionable. Very noisy at night as there was a band playing in the bar.

1  Thank Eddys26