1,198 results
All reviews short break enjoyable stay great weekend both nights food was lovely dart station sea front merrill guinness wicklow
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This hotel is a 3 star hotel and it shows. The price may be right but you get what you pay for. The management are nice however the breakfast waiting staff give the impression they are uninterested in their job.

The carpet is worn however let's not get over excited about it.

The management need to invest in a refurbishment of this hotel as it has huge potential. With an investment in the staff and the premises this hotel could well be worth a visit however at present it's a very average faulty tower scenario.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank rootuid
Christopher O, Public Relations Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on our hotel. It is from these reviews that we are able to monitor our standards of service and performance.

We have taken your comments on board. We hope that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I have been visiting this hotel for almost forty years. It has become a habit for us to book it on our frequent visits to Bray - not again, though. We have several times promised ourselves this is the last time but now we mean it. We stayed for 5 nights this time.
The room was barely clean, with a broken down bed, bedside and bathroom lights not working and a thick layer of dust on the floor, the furniture and the insides of the wardrobe & drawers had not been cleaned in a long, long time. We asked for another room after one night and if I say that the second room was far better, given it had a view of the back yard and the smells from the kitchens, you get the message.
The only saving grace apart from its location is the first class, pleasant staff. They are clearly overworked, however, and corners being cut due, I think, to lack of staff.
Requests for spa appoinements refused due to lac k of staff.
The hotel caters for large family parties, kids run wild late at night in the common areas and corridors while the adults party in the late night, noisey bar,

Room Tip: Ask for a room NIOT overlooking the Main Street - the noise is deafening round the clock - traffic during the day and boozing loud groups through the night.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on our hotel. It is from these reviews that we can monitor our standards of service and performance.

I thank you for your compliments on our staff and location. However, your other comments with regards to comfort and cleanliness have been noted and will be investigated in further detail.

We hope that this is not your last visit with us and that you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Hi just back from the Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club we booked for 4 nights, and checked out after 1, on arrival at the hotel we where met in the carpark by a carpark attendant who asked us how long we would be staying ,4 days i replied and he told me this would be 20 euros i never said anything about it but we where led to believe that the carpark was free on a first come basis but if the carpark was full you would have to park else where at a cost of 5 euros per night,so anyway went into the reception area to check in and there was a man complaining about his room so we waited untill he was finished and at the same time thinking hope our room room is going to be ok,so the receptionist came over to us to check us in and gave us a room on the 1st floor right away we where not happy because we wanted a top floor room on account of getting our ground floor room in a different hotel in dublin broke into,but we we said nothing and went up to the room anyway when we got up to the room it looked nothing the way it did on any pictures we looked at, it fact it was quite grubby but we left the bags and went to get something to eat because we had just travelled 140 miles to get there, and we then decided we would have a word with reception when we got back in,we where told that the hotel did not have any family rooms on the top floor so why did they not tell us this when we booked?,they did offer us another room but it was a grubby as the first so we said no and told them we would not be staying,we where then told that we would have to pay £75 for the first night no matter if we where going to check out or not so by this time it was about 7.30pm and i told my wife we might aswell stay the night if we are getting charged for it and go and look for some different accomadation. Glad to say we did check out the next morning because we where woke by the workmen out the back of the hotel putting a new roof on a house and then the delivery vans started to arrive banging doors and wheeling trollys about we would have needed another holiday when we got home again!This Hotel is in need of a good clean up and a lick of paint would not go a miss either.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Deakin9

Dear Guest,

Thank your for your review of our hotel. It is from these reviews that we can monitor our standards of service and performance.

Our car parking policy is not an issue which we have control over as the car park is owned and run by a different company. Over the last few months the hotel has been very busy and this is the reason for the small number of available spaces.

With regard to the room types on our website, we have a picture of all of our room types on our website from single/double/family/standard and executive rooms. The room that you were given may not have been the exact one on the website but it certainly would have been similar to the rooms on the website.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I went to the Royal for dinner with my boyfriend. We started with a drink in Quinns Bar. Service here was very good and the price of the drinks was competitive with other bars. It was a lovely atmosphere.
We then went for our meal at the Heritage Bistro. We've looked at the menu online and thought the A la Carte menu seemed like good quality for money. Unfortunatly that menu was not the one we recieved. The choice was much more limited and many options were not available. We ended up ordering off the regular menu as a result.
The starters were lovely and served quickly. However we both went for the €20 10oz steak for the main course, ordered medium rare. We ended up with two very fatty and well done steaks. This was very disapointing. We acknowledge now we should have sent them back but, being out for a rare and special occasion neither of us wanted to create a fuss. We decided to skip dessert which consisted of the four options from the A la carte menu.
Service was very good throughout- we'd a very friendly girl serving us. The restaurant was very quiet but there was awful indie music pumped over the sterio which did not suit the atmosphere they seemed to be going for.
Over all it was fine, however the quality of the steaks were very very disapointing and when you consider that we spent a total of €40 on them, we are not looking to return any time soon.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. It is from these reviews that we can monitor our standards of performance and service.

I have passed on all of your comments to our team in the kitchen and the restaurant and they have been taken on board. We were glad to read that your server performed well and that you were happy with your starters.

I will investigate any discrepancies between the online menu and the on-site menu and make any changes that are required.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed at this "Hotel" for 3 nights from 27th July - 30th July.
Arrived at the hotel and was given keys to a room on 3rd floor. On arriving at the room we found that the 2 small windows were at chest level and looking out onto a brick wall with and extractor fan running up the wall!! I immediately went back down to reception to ask if we could be moved to another room - the receptionist asked what the problem was - when I explained what it was a voice roared at me that it wasn't an extractor fan - it was a fan from the "Bingo Hall" and we wouldn't hear it after 22:30 hours and there were no other rooms available!!
I asked the receptionist who the ignorant person who humilated me was and she told me he was the "MANAGER" The receptionist said if a room became available the next day she would move us. I told her we would be going out early the next morning but we wouldn't unpack and she could just move our cases. On arriving back later the next day our cases were still in the terrible room!!
The attitude of the "MANAGER" in general over the next 2 days was terrible - he was an arrogant pompus individual who made not just us but other people who were on a tour feel very uncomfortable!!
I haven't stayed in this "HOTEL" for quite a few years and although I've never rated it highly - it has certainly gone downhill. The carpets up to the rooms are threadbare, towels and toiletries were not replaced during our stay and the food was well below average!! Thanks Goodnes for the lovely Chinese Resturant in the next street - it was the highlight of our stay!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review on our hotel. It is from these reviews that we can monitor our standards of performance and service.

I would like to investigate your review further. In order to do so I will need you to contact me directly in the hotel. You can call me on 01-2862935 or e-mail me on chris@royalhotel.ie.

I would appreciate if you could get in touch as soon as possible.