1,181 results
All reviewsshort breakenjoyable staygreat weekendboth nightsfood was lovelydart stationsea frontmerrillguinnesswicklow
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We had to move rooms as the "non smoking" room was stinking of smoke and also there were road works outside going on into the night, single glazed windows don't keep out much noise.. The replacement room was much nicer but smaller, no complaints with it at all..
The health suite was modern but noisy due to the kids club using it at the same time we were in.
Food was ok, much like a home cooked meal.
Staff were very pleasant and helpful, they are to be commended, although I do have sympathy for them, they seem to spend a lot of time apologising for things.
Overall the hotel is OK.
Using only photos of the refurbishments, new leisure facilities and newly built rooms as a way to get people into the hotel is in my opinion a little misleading but hey we had the opportunity like everyone else to do our research.
I would not recommend the hotel to friends or family but would do so if someone wanted a cheap and cheerful hotel with room for the family and they weren't bothered about any of the things I've mentioned above..

Room Tip: ask for one of the new executive rooms or don't go..sorry
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Christopher O, Public Relations Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel. It is always nice to get feedback so that we can continue to try and improve are quality and standards of service.

Firstly, thank you kindly for the generous praise that you have offered to our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to them.

The reason for so many children being around the pool area was due to the mid-term holidays that the schools were having at the time of your stay. We are a family run hotel and we pride ourselves on this. We always welcome families to stay during any time of the year, but we can become especially busy during school holidays.

The photos which we use on our website are of course of our newer rooms and of our newly refurbished Merrill Leisure club. We are using these photos to showcase the best which our hotel has to offer. However, this refurbishment is an on-going process and we hope to soon have all of our rooms up to an executive standard.

If you would like to contact me directly to discuss your issues further please do not hesitate to do so and thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed November 8, 2011

loveley friendly staff and a nice warm welcome and a nice meal all weekend

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank supercarra23

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind and positive feedback.

It is always nice to get positive feedback and I will be sure to pass it on to all of our staff.

The Royal Hotel & Merrill leisure Club

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Hi after reading all the bad reviews, i was so worried about staying here on the 28th to the 30th of oct. But gosh it was brill, and i would be very fussy. Staff excellent , food excellent, just everything brill. So PLEASE TRY YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED. Couple angie and robert. ........

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank angiel17
Christopher O, Public Relations Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2011

Dear Angie & Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review for our hotel. It is great to get such enthusiastic feedback from our guest's. I will be sure to pass on the kind praise to all our staff in the relevant departments.

We hope that you plan on returning to our hotel, upon which please do not hesitate to contact me directly, so that we can accommodate you in one of our upgraded rooms.

The Royal Hotel & Merrill Leisure Centre

Reviewed October 26, 2011

I have read some of the reviews for this hotel just before we were due to stay there, and i just cannot believe the people who gave a bad review had stayed at the same hotel. From the moment we arrived the staff were the most helpful I've ever encountered. We even had a laugh with the bar staff about no yorkie puds with the roast beef on the menu. When the meals we all had Yorkshire Puddings on our plates. Every day they remembered that I like skimmed milk instead of tea & coffee which was a lovely touch. The room was spacious and very clean with an adequate bathroom. One morning we didn't have hot water at 8am, so we rang down and by the time we had finished our breakfast it was all fixed and we were able to bathe and shower. The Hotel Manager and duty managers were extremely attentive and my group actually felt the hotel was worthy of more than just 3 stars. So thankyou to all the staff who made our stay so enjoyable. We had a great time.

Room Tip: Second floor, 251 and 257 were superb, yes there is noise from the street, but i come from a very rural area and i still got a very good nights sleep.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank KaeOtic

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel. First of all, may I offer our apologies for the late response to your feedback. We have been going through a changeover in staff and this is what has caused the delay.

We are absolutely delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay in our hotel. I will pass on this very positive feedback to our staff, who will be delighted to hear it.

If we can ever be of any service to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly and we would be happy to accommodate you in one of our up-graded rooms.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

Do NOT stay in this hotel. It looks great from the website but without a doubt was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. It's very old, shabby and run down.
- When we arrived to our room I thought I was back in 1970's - the room was very drab looking, very creaky old bed, tiny room and an awful bathroom. We asked for a room change which we got a choice of 2, each were bigger and marginally better.
Cons:
- decor is very old looking (had a Fawlty Towers feel to it)
- bed was very creak and uncomfortable.
- bathroom was ok but you need to let the shower run for about 5 mins before hot water is available
- small room, too small for two people with 2 cases e.t.c
- tv was tiny with only a few channels
- our room was on the street side so we could hear a pedestrian crossing beeping sound frequently from 7am onwards.
- breakfast wasn't nice.
Pro's:
- Stay were friendly and helpful
- Bar food was nice.
- 10mins walk from DART station (40mins journey time to city centre)
I wouldn't ever stay in here again. We couldn't wait to get out in fact!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ro D
Christopher O, Public Relations Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2011

Dear Guest,

We have recently undertaken the the task of refurbishing our rooms. This is a process that will take time, but we are positive that our future guests will benefit from.

We are glad however that you enjoyed our bar food and that our staff were friendly and helpful.

As with all our reviews we would like to use this opportunity to improve our service and also try to bring the situation to a satisfactory conclusion for you. If you would like to contact the hotel we would be happy to look into the matter in further detail. We look forward to hearing from you.