1,182 results
All reviewsshort breakenjoyable staygreat weekendboth nightsfood was lovelydart stationsea frontmerrillguinnesswicklow
Reviewed September 10, 2011

well oppointed central hotel.great staff.clean rooms and has private carpark at rear.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
RoyalMerrill, Public Relations Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for the hotel. It is always nice to get such positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you here again at the hotel in the future.

Reviewed September 7, 2011

Stayed in Royal Hotel Bray with my mum for a short trip. Management not very friendly as this was base for a tour never asked had we a nice day. On second evening we sat for ages in restaurant waiting to be served mum mentioned this to manager who told us that other two at table were not there and we had to wait for them. Hair found in soup, meals not very hot and T.V not working. Staff very good as mum stayed in hotel for a day as she wasn't up to trip to dublin. Don't hold Ulsterbus responsible as driver was excellent best part of trip.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

We were very sorry to read your response today. We was truly disappointed that you experience was not satisfactory on this occasion. We have a great relationship with Ulsterbus and many of the guests and long-term customers. We would love to have the opportunity to bring this to a satisfactory conclusion for you and if you contact the hotel we will look at this in greater detail. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

I booked a weekend break for my daughter and her friend at this hotel as my husband and I had stayed here before and found it really nice. When they arrived on the fri eve they were given a twin room which had not been cleaned and had a nasty smell in it. They complained and were changed to a differant room. In the evening they went to the restaurant to have dinner and the waitress was quite rude to them. They ordered drinks and had to remind the waitress about them half way through their main course. My daughter ordered a portion of chips which she never got anf they waited 30 mins for their dessert to be served. My daughter was disgusted with the level of service and I feel bad that I recommended it to them. Maybe an older couple might have been treated better.

Room Tip: twin room was small and had not been cleaned.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to post a review for the hotel. We were very sorry to read your comments and that we failed to meet your daughter’s expectations particularly after you enjoyed a stay with us. As with all reviews we would like to use the opportunity to improve our service and also to try and bring the situation to a satisfactory conclusion for you. If you would like to contact me directly here at the hotel then we would be happy to investigate the matter in greaterdetail. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

Just returned from a fantastic trip to Ireland. Stayed at the Royal Hotel for 3 nights with my husband and three children (5,9 and 11). We all had a wonderful time. Our room was very spacious and clean. There were lots of little shops around bray and a beautiful seafront a short walk away. There was a supermarket near the hotel also. Staff were all very friendly and couldnt do enough. The children just loved the kids club, which was open in the morning and the evening with lots of activites. The games room was also a big hit with my 11 year old. For a family trip couldnt have asked for more! The only downside was a bit of a queue at breakfast but we were never waiting for longer than about 10 minutes.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We are thrilled to read your comments here today. There is as you know loads on offer for families both in house with the Leisure Club and Kid’s Club and in the wider Wicklow and Dublin area. I will pass your warm comments onto the staff at our next meeting. In relation to breakfast it is regrettable about the queue but as we can be very busy this is unavoidable.

Don

Reviewed August 29, 2011

I am feeling bad about complaining all the time but it seems very hard to get the whole package in Ireland. We were in Bray for the Colm Wilkinson show. We stayed in the Royal years ago were not overly impressed with the resturant that time but the rest of the hotel was ok. This time we only booked 2 nights b&b, planning to eat out in Bray.
On arrival there were no parking spaces as the car park attentand had them all reserved "for residents that were out". When I asked him what residents that were only coming in were to do he told us to park on the street. This meant 200meters away on a narrow public road and walk back in the rain.

Check in was OK the receptionist waspleasant enough.

The bedroom No 332 is over crowded with a double and single bed, smells old and musty, even with the small windows open for 12 hours. It is dark and gruppy needs a good revamp. the bathroom is tiny and has the same smell if not worse. It takes 5 minutes for hot water to come through this is some waste of water and must cost a fortune. dont think the rooms look anything like the pictures posted on the hotel web site.

The lift is very shakey if you are nervous.

Best thing about the hotel are the bar staff. Very alert young bar man was quick enough to see I was ready for a second pint o guinness before I had to ask. The pint was perfect. Residents had to have their late drink in the foyer but this was well serviced and staff werehelpful and happy at there work.

We actually had a meal in the bar and it was nice and good value.

Breakfast was well organised in so far every thing was provided.
There was a short que but this can be expected most hotels if you leave it till the last half hour as we do.
Why can hotels no longer provide a hot breakfast from the kitchen. The Royal is the same as most, luke warm buffet, fried hard eggs . the sausages were very poor quality. The second morning I skipped them altogether. Some of the waiting staff were going around with sour faces on them. It is easy to smile.

The leisure centre colses at 7 pm sat sun. the attendant told us we had to get out at 6.30 to allow time to shower. Didnt matter to us as we were in early but I often arrived at a hotel at 6pm and still managed to relax for an hour or so in the leisure centre. the jacussi was "being back washed" all week end. Bull if its out of order say so....

Just a side note where ever you stay in Bray DO NOT go into Dicy Reillys its around the corner from the Royal it is a time bomb full of lunatics.

I dont think I would stay in the Royal again there must be better hotels in Bray but it seems to be the only one with a leisure centre.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lilywhitescilldara

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel today. We understand you initial reluctance to post a review however it is through this feedback that we are able to improve our service for both you and other guests at the hotel.

Firstly in relation to the parking I would like to point out that the car park is operated by a third party company and is not in fact owned by the hotel. There are 56 spaces available and 3 coach parking spaces. Places are allocated on a first come first served basis and after this the parking situation in beyond our control.

As with any negative customer experience we would like to we would like to take the opportunity to address these issues with you and if you contact us at the hotel we will look into the matter in more detail. Thank you for the feedback and we look forward to hearing from.