“Excellent food, basic hotel”

The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Bray
Reviewed March 14, 2011

I stayed here with my partner for 5 nights in early March. First impressions of the hotel from the outside wasnt great, we didnt have high expectations.We walked in, where we were greated by a very nice receptionist. But was told the price i was quoted online may vary as exchange rate differs. Didnt think this was very good as the confirmation stated i had a set amount left to pay. but ended up paying bout £20 more. Be warey of this.

The room was basic what you would expect from a 3 star hotel. Radiators made a hell of a lot of noise when on. Woke me on several occassions.

The food was brilliant!! better than i have had in some top restaurants. Would definatly recommend a food package deal.

all in all a ok stay

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
RoyalMerrill, Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2011

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food so much I will past your compliments onto the kitchen. I would like to aplogise for the noise with the radiator. This is not a common complaint we have recieved before but I will discuss it with maintainance today. On your next visit be sure to ask to be placed ing the Executive Wing of the Hotel. In relation to the pricing it is best to book directly from our hotel website (Just google Royal Hotel Bray) as prices are cheaper here and include a continental breakfast. I hope this is of help and would love to see you back here in the future.

Reviewed February 20, 2011

As Valentines Day fell on a Monday this year my partner and I decided to spend the weekend away. We had stayed in other hotels in Wicklow before but this was our first visit to the Royal Hotel and I was a bit concerned when I read some of the previous reviews but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Upon arrival we were greated by a very friendly and helpful receptionist who checked us in. Our room was bright and spacious. We were particularly impressed with the rose petals on the bed amd the chocolates in the room! We ate in the bar on the Friday night and enjoyed a lovely and romantic dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday night....the food was just gorgeous! Staff were all terrific and couldnt do enough to help. My partner made use of the leisure centre facilities and enjoyed a swim there while I enjoyed a lovely facial in the beauty salon which I would highly recommend. The hotel was the perfect distance form the city centre and the dart station only a few minutes down the road meant we were in the city centre in half an hour. All in all a wonderful and relaxing stay! We will definately be back in the summer!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
RoyalMerrill, Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

Hi kate0405,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We always try to make ever stay special and but we do make a special effort for occasions like Valentines, mothers day etc... We would be delighted to have you back in the summer and it might be worth keeping in mind the Bray Summerfest in July or indeed the Airshow! We look forward to see you again.

Many Thanks,

Reviewed February 3, 2011

HOTEL REVIEW FROM GARY A GUEST THAT STAYED THERE ON THE 1st OF FEB 2011

this is a nice hotel but very bad in the way that there staff work eg. the bulbs in the lamps blue after about 5 min of them been on but the main thing is me and my girlfriend stayed there for 1 nite and we were in our room and i was lieing on the bed my girlfriend was in da shower and this nightman walked into the room witout knocking and turned of da bathroom light and starting telling me there was a leek in the room i went to recption and spoke to them there was no leek and i was told that i could speak to the manager in the morning so i said grand i will so that morning we were wokeing up by the cleaner at 9:13 am banging on the door and rippin the door handle up and down and then just walked in on us i went back to the recption and spoke to the manager and explaind dat out night war ruined because of all the hassel and that my girlfriend got no sleep cos she was worryed some1 else was going to walk into the room while we were asleep so i told the manager and she told me she was very sorry but the best that she could do for me was extend out checkout time from 12 o clock till 1 o clock witch i was very disappointed in it and went back to my room packed my stuf and walked out wit my girlfriend and left and i will tell you one thing i will never ever stay there again this is a 3 star hotel i would give in a 1 star my rateing for this hotel outa 10 in.........3/10 very bad

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
RoyalMerrill, Director of Sales at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

Hi my name is Don Donoghue from the Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club here in Bray. I have just read your comment and I am shocked! Firstly I would like you apologise on behalf of the Hotel. Secondly I would say that if you could get in contact with me personally then I would be in a position to deal with the complaint. My email address is don@royalhotel.ie

Reviewed January 2, 2011

just back from a 2night stay at the royal hotel dont go there.,,,,,,,,,, its run down food is lousy delf and cutlery very dirty and the management dont wana know. no towel or linnen change for the 2 nights we stayed we will NOT be going back

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
RoyalMerrill, Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2011

Hi Mossy,

I was disappointed to read your review today. Typically we work very hard to deliver a very high level of satisfaction. If you would like to give me a more detailed account of your stay please contact me on don@royalhotel.ie and I will reply to you directly.

Reviewed November 18, 2010

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Royal Hotel Bray, having brought a group of 33 there for our annual Ireland getaway. This was the first time we have used the hotel. Upon our arrival on November 8 at 6:30am in the morning, they actually had ALL of our rooms ready for us. The location is a great base to explore the area - far enough from Dublin to be "in the country" but just 3 blocks from the DART, with easy access to the city center. The hotel is just 4 blocks from the seaside promenade and Bray Head, where you can take a 6-mile walk south to Greystones along the Irish Sea and return via the Dart if you wish. The manager was constantly around the the food in the dining room, for the 3 dinners we had there, was excellent, with four different choices each time. Breakfast was the usual Irish buffet, simple and quite good. The Merrill Spa was spotless, with a large pool (not one photographed with a wide-angle lens!) and we spent 4 of the 5 nights enjoying the whirlpool, which we found just the right temperature to stay in for an extended time. This is great after a hard day of sightseeing! The front desk was always friendly and accommodating. Our room was clean and cozy, with 3 windows facing Quinnsborough Road - the road to the ocean. As with any city hotel, it was a bit noisy with traffic until about 10pm or so, but that is to be expected at ANY hotel located as such. The dining room service was quick and friendly, especially so with the woman in charge, who obviously cared about us! We have been visiting Ireland for over 15 years and the Royal Hotel ranks right up there with the best we've used. As with ANY hotel in the country, there is the occasional hot-water issue (not enough or too low pressure). When reported, it was taken care of immediately. For various reasons, a few of our guests requested different rooms and again were accommodated in a timely fashion. Some rooms are a bit small (as is the case in most European hotels!!), but the Executive level rooms are quite large and comfy...Opt for those if space is an issue with you. All in all, I can recommend this hotel highly. Though there may be issues that pop up during the crush of summer visitors, we found no real issues during our November stay and will surely return again. -Dennis Hubbs, CTC/MCC, D&D Travel, Bloomfield, CT

• Stayed: November 2010
RoyalMerrill, Manager at The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2011

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the great review and we are delighted that you had a great time here during your stay.

Reviewed November 6, 2010

Stayed at the Bray Hotel over the Halloween weekend. It is in the middle of Bray main street, so nice location for checking out Bray. The dart was 10 minutes walk away so good links to Dublin etc.

The hotel entrace was nice but the rooms whilst spacious could do with updating. The room was clean, but the carpets and decor was grubby looking and could do with a re-vamp.

Hotel staff would extremely nice and helpful.

Only critisim would be that they had no were to store luggage on check-out day, it was left beneath the stairs to the rooms. You did need a pass key to access the stairs but it was still in the open access area.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank HezNI

Hi,

Thanks for your comment. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. Currently we are updating a number of our rooms and we will also take on board your feedback about the storage.

The Royal

Reviewed October 18, 2010

This is a good midrange hote, in a convenient location for the south side of Dublin, or access to the county of Wicklow. There is an excellent leisure centre with a great, pool.

The staff were all excellent, very friendly at all times and helpful for any of requests for information about the locality.

The rooms are standard for this level of hotel, but clean with good comfortable beds.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tanlen

Hi,

Thanks for the review. It's good to hear that you got to speak to the staff and that they were able to impart all their local knowledge!

The Royal

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bray
The Martello Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
Summerhill House Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Enniskerry

Been to The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club? Share your experiences!