“Would love to stay again”
Review of Carrigeen Castle

Carrigeen Castle
Ranked #2 of 6 Cahir B&B and Inns
Wellesbourne Hastings, United Kingdom
“Would love to stay again”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this lovely castle for 6 nights. We received a very warm welcome from David & Peig on our arrival, while there they went out of their way to help us find a replacement new tyre for our motorbike when we had a puncture. The castle was warm and very charming and homely. Peig told us about places to see and things to do. The tea and coffee lounge was a great place to sit and relax and plan what to do. We enjoyed our time here and would love to stay again. Many thanks to Peig and David.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This was a very special B & B we stayed at last night. Peig the owner was so welcoming & so knowledgeable of the area. We walked into town to dinner as Peig had recommended many restaurants we may prefer to dine at. We thoroughly enjoyed our night & were treated to a wonderful breakfast after a very warm night in the 'Castle'

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ivrose73
Norfolk
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My partner and i stayed at this lovely historical Bed and Breakfast for 2 nights in April this year.

We were greeted by Peig the owner who was extremely welcoming and a font of knowledge for the local area which was very helpful. The building itself is a small castle which used to be the old town jail and still has 4 "cells" along from the guest rooms.

The location was ideal for our visit and is close to Rock of Cashel as well as The Mitchelstown cave both highly recommended along with Cahir Castle which is a few minutes walk from the B&B.

The stay at the castle was very enjoyable and comfortable indeed. There is so much history to the Castle and I recommend it very highly.

Room Tip: There is only one room with en suite. The other rooms have to share a shower which has been housed i...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I was amazed at the bad review I read from Rowan_Kell. My traveling companion and I received an extremely warm welcome from Peig Butler. We were shown to our rooms which were lovely, a good size with ensuite. The castle, a former jail was nicely done. Rooms were a tiny bit cold, but there were plenty of extra blankets and after all it is Ireland. Peig reminded me of Ireland as it was, not so much as it is now. So many B&B owner's not at all interested in the people who are staying with them, and not really interested in their guests. Peig invited us to use one of two lounges anytime we wanted. Plenty of information was available on the history of Carrigeen Castle as well as what to do and where to go in the area. Breakfast was magnificent, we were a small group and it was great to have Peig's company as we worked our way through a huge breakfast. I enjoyed Peig's quirkiness, we discussed breakfast the evening before so our meal was perfect. I enjoyed her stories; For an absolutely wonderful Irish experience I wouldn't hesitate to come back to Carrigeen Castle again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank 40yrstraveling
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 4, 2014

The castle itself is a wonderful structure, and we were so pleased to be staying in an actual castle. The inside is a home with great kick-knacks that make it homey and inviting. Peig is a friendly older women set in her ways. She was very welcoming to us, and we did in fact enjoy our stay--one of our highlights of the trip. The rooms were comfortable, if a bit drafty--bring warm pajamas if you visit in the winter. David was very accommodating, especially with our phone calls we received.

Again, Paig an older women set in her ways, and it may be ideal if she were to change a couple of things--one would be to point out to the guests which rooms were off limits. There was a living area with the door wide open, so we sat in it, and she felt the need to explain to us (for 10 minutes) on how in all of her 38 years that's never happened and we should be respectful of private living spaces, etc...goodness, if she is that troubled by such an act, she ought to not only inform her guests, but also keep her room doors closed. We would never have knowingly intruded on her personal space. The second suggestion is to ask her guests how they would like their breakfast. She informed us the night before that we would be served a traditional breakfast, and we were happy to hear that as it was our first night in Ireland. At breakfast time, she serves us plates already prepared...2 lightly-cooked sunny-side-up eggs, 3 large sausage links, 3 pieces of bacon and toast on the side (in addition to the fresh fruits, jams, breakfast pastries and yogurt on the sidebar). It was a wonderful breakfast, but much to much food for either my sister or myself, which we told her we would share a plate--however, Peig insisted we eat our own plates. We were also a bit surprised to receive the plates as we were not asked how we wanted our eggs cooked--unfortunately, I can only eat eggs if they are done over-hard, so I asked her to please cook them really, really, really well--much stress on the very cooked eggs. She brings the plate out a second time, with the eggs over easy. So I asked again, if she could please cook them longer, truly to over cook the eggs as I cannot eat them runny. On the third time, she told us that we should eat what is given to us like her mother used to tell her 'finish what was given to you and not complain.' Ironically, we didn't complain once, but rather made what I thought was a reasonable request as I'm the one to have to eat it. In the end, I had to leave them on my plate as they were still runny (I don't believe she even took them off the plate the third visit to the kitchen). This really isn't such a big deal; however I mention it as Peig made such a fuss over the breakfast and how it was our responsibility to let the B&B owners know how we like our eggs (although, we weren't even aware she was cooking them until the plate was placed in front of us) and how it's a shame to waste food...goodness she was upset about it. Perhaps in the future, she should ask her guests how they like their eggs.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay, and we would recommend staying at Carrigeen Castle...be sure to get all the house rules upfront. ;0)

Room Tip: Request a room on the first/main floor, otherwise, you'll be placed on the third floor--the stai...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Denise V
Cahir
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I are traveling around Ireland, stopping when a place takes our fancy. We really liked Cahir and decided to stay the night. It was 7.50pm by the time we made it to the Carrigeen Castle to ask if they had a room free, who wouldn't want to stay in a castle? The lady who answered our knock on the door proceeded to tell us that clearly we 'didn't care' where we stayed as we had rocked up so late, she quizzed us over why we were here at this time and what we had been doing, asked how many drinks we were likely to have in town, told us we couldn't go out and come back in after 11pm and was generally extremely rude. We decided not to stay, and her reception has left a bitter taste in our mouths.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Rowan_Kell
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Very very wonderful stay! A nice walk into town and to Cahir Castle. Such plush and wonderful rooms in the historic hotel. If you want to stay in a castle, this is the one to stay in. The owner Peig is so friendly and welcoming. She and our mom got along quite well and enjoyed one another. Wonderful and comfy sitting/reading room. My sister is veg and Peig took that into consideration for breakfast. HUGE and yummy breakfast. Great stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahir
Kilcoran Lodge Hotel
#1 of 6 in Cahir
Ballinwillin House
Ballinwillin House
#1 of 5 in Mitchelstown

Been to Carrigeen Castle? Share your experiences!