“Slow Food Dinner”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cahir
Tipperary, Ireland
“Slow Food Dinner”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Myself and two friends got a last minute offer of three tickets to a slow food dinner at the hotel last weekend. We were treated to a top-notch seven course meal accompanied not with wine, but rather with ciders.
The meal began with smoked salmon and duck. The salmon, name checked on the menu to Ummera was just divine. We then had a veloutte of parsnip and apple soup, which went down very well. Next came an apple sorbet with mixed berry compote. Served a little too cold, but such a good combination.
Following were two main courses, an Inch House (a great country house hotel just outside Thurles) black and white pudding with apple fritter, and then a terrine with apple balsamic vinegar from Dublin. I had previously heard this balsamic described on BBC as one of five must-haves in any kitchen, and apart from the Cahir House chef who prepared the food, who must also be a must-have, I could not disagree with this.
There followed a baked apple with crumble and apple ice-cream. Mine was slightly under-baked I felt, but those of my two friends were perfect, and devoured with relish. The ice-cream was licked off the plates.
The cheese platter of Cashel Blue, Bay Lough (I think) and Cooleeny was good. I would have liked to see some Crozier Blue too, but the accompanying sweet cider from Longueville House (yet another fine country house hotel) was a perfect match.
It was unusual for me to have a meal accompanied by cider only, and a few at the meal could not resist the temptation of ordering some wine. For one of my friends it was also a challenge, though the ciders; Longueville, Llewellyns and Stonewell were all very good.
At 40 euros per person, drinks reception beforehand included, it was exceptional. It was surprising therefore that the organisers failed to fill the room, which was set for at least 20 more diners.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Dublin
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay, having bought a Pigsback deal...2 nights B&B, 1 evening meal and 2 packed lunches. With these deals my expectations are usually not that high and this is based on previous experience. The hotel is old and yes, it could do with a lick of paint, but it is clean and our room was very comfortable. We visited the Swiss Cottage and it was nice to see the link between that and the hotel. No problems with room and services, and on that basis I'd probably have given it a 3 rating. However we were so impressed with the food and the staff that it would be really unfair not to give an overall rating of 5! We ended up eating dinner in the restaurant on both evenings because the quality and service were so good...food is a big thing with us and the starters on both evenings were first class. The early bird on the second evening only cost €65 for starters, mains, desserts and a bottle of wine. The breakfast in the morning was first class...freshly cooked and any combination of breakfast you wanted. We had lunch in the Lazy Bean Cafe across the road and it was also excellent. Lots to do in Cahir for a weekend and definitely would consider a return visit.

Room Tip: We asked for a room in a quiet location and the receptionist was very helpful.
1 Thank Dub-Ireland-Visitor
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I recently stayed here with an online deal and reading other reviews I think I must have been in a different hotel. I found the staff very unfriendly (check out guy was nice) and the girl at breakfast was awful didn't even say good morning.Not one of the staff said hello to us at any stage during our stay apart from when we checked in. Our room was nice if slightly old fashioned. We had a two course dinner included (which was nice but nothing exceptional) we could only have the starter and not a choice between starter and dessert. Only 3 starters and we didn't fancy any of them. I have never been anywhere there was a 2 course meal that didn't have a choice between starter and dessert. Checkout was at 11am this was a first for any hotel I ever stayed in, usually 12pm. It suited us as wanted to get out of there. Stay was OK, would I go back...no, too many deals on offer everywhere to go a unfriendly place with no choice! I did enjoy Cahir though people very friendly and helpful...apart from hotel staff.

1 Thank LaineyG1
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Never would have thought of staying in Cahir but got an amazing deal and had one of the best hotel experiences We checked in with friendly receptionist , our room was clean and bright with good facilities. the breakfast was freshly cooked and dinner that night was really excellent. There was eight of us and normally you can,t please everyone but no-one had a bad word to say. We all had a really brilliant weekend and said we would definitely return.
Cahir itself is really beautiful with lots to see and do . We got a packed lunch from the hotel and went walking around the gorgeous mountains at the V which is on the border of Waterford and Tipperary. Ask the staff for details,Not sure but I think the hotel also organize guides for the walks.
On our second day we explored Cahir Castle and the beautiful Swiss Cottage, both very different and really worth seeing.
We all said that it was a pity you don,t hear more about Cahir as it is up there with the best, cannot wait to go back

Room Tip: Receptionist gave us a room at the back as there was a party on that night and she felt it would be...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights last weekend and we really enjoyed it! The hotel itself is very homely and the staff are very helpful. The location is excellent for all the local activities. The only thing I would say is that our room could have done with a fresh lick of paint and possibly a new carpet around the hotel. However all in all we had a great time and will return again as soon as possible.

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I recently stayed for two nights in Cahir House Hotel. Firstly I was invited to a wedding been held there and stayed a second night just for good measure. The Staff and Management were more than friendly and accommodating. The function room looked stunning and the menu and the drinks were perfectly suited for such a wonderful occasion. As I am based in central Europe I will definetly be telling family,friends and work colleagues to give this hotel and area a visit.
Keep up the great work to all at the Cahir House.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dungarvan, Ireland
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed at Cahir House Hotel on 12/08/2012 with a group of people that were doing the Heritage Cycling Tour. We were all well impressed with this hotel, great rooms,food and very friendly staff. We really enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahir
Kilcoran Lodge Hotel
Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa
Hotel Minella
Hotel Minella
#1 of 6 in Clonmel

Been to Cahir House Hotel? Share your experiences!