Kilcoran Lodge Hotel
$124
$130
Hotel Minella(Clonmel)
$180
All reviewsleisure centreold worldold stylebeautiful settingopen firedinner dancefriendly atmospherestaff were fantasticpool and gymwedding receptionfood was lovelymodern hotelsunday lunchnight portersecond to nonebar menugreat weekend
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in March for a weekend break with friends. We arrived after 8pm and we noticed on arrival that the hotel was very cold. We were told they had run out of oil but were waiting on a delivery and would get the heating back on, as soon as possible.it came back on for only a little over an hour .
Our party of 6 had booked dinner in the restaurant for 8.30. I had a chicken curry dish which had obviously been nuked as the chicken was like rubber and it was scalding hot and flavourless. Really has to be one of the worst meals i have ever eaten.
The breakfast on the Saturday morning was nice enough but there was a considerable wait for it. We decided not to eat there on the Saturday night and went into Cahir town which was lovely and lively.
The hotel is lovely and the staff are very nice and friendly but its obvious that the management are trying to cut costs and it shows, which really is an awful pity as the hotel has great potential.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Well where do I start. Myself,husband &son stayed here for 3 very cold nights.Our welcome was as cold as the hotel.The owner booked us in he was a very unpleasent man to start with.He didn't even welcome us he just asked me what kind of voucher I had. He gave us our keys & we headed to the room.When we opened the door the room hadn't been cleaned so my husband headed back to tell him, he said he didn't even apoligise about the mix up. The next room was so cold we had to get extra radiators brought down. We were told the brekfast started at 7.30 we headed down after 8 & were told by the lady she had no chef on till 9 a total joke she offered us scrambled egg the less said the better about that there was loads of toast. The food was very nice & the staff are very nice & helpful I really don't know how this place is still open, I guess its the fab view.Won't be back here ever...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Gráinne I
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed for 2 nights. We had a Pigsback Voucher which entitled us to 2 nights B&B and dinner for two on 1 night, so were quite taken aback when, on arrival we were presented with 2 coupons which entitled us to a main meal only, starters and desserts cost extra! We were told we could upgrade to a different menu for an extra charge. That aside, we were given directions to our room along a very cold corridor and up the stairs. The room itself was a good size but the furniture was worn and tired with burn marks and heat rings. A very old and small tv (about the size of a postage stamp) sat miserably on an old chest of drawers. The bathroom again was old and tired with awful decor - black and white tiled floor with red walls. Housekeeping was sadly lacking - we had no bath towels. I rang reception and heard the following message - "leave your name and number and we will get back to you" I did, and they didn't. Despatched husband to reception for said towels and he was assured that "somebody" would look after that. Two hours and a reminder from me later we got towels. Waste bins in our room were not emptied on the second day and the 2 tea bags allotted to us which we used on the first day, were not replenished. Breakfast was just ok, but poor choice of cereals , cornflakes, rice krispies or cocoa pops, orange or apple juice, no fresh fruit. We arrived down for breakfast and there were no menus, the waitress stood by our table, pen poised over her notebook waiting for us to order. She offered no suggestions as to what was on offer and eventually said "2 full Irish is it?". So it appears that you can have anything you want so long as it is a full Irish or variations of. After she served breakfast, she didn't come back to enquire if everything was ok or if we would like more tea/coffee. Overall, the hotel is quite shabby, rundown and the lobby and bar are very very cold, the only heating in these areas are coal fires which did nothing to take the chill away. Two members of staff stood out - Daniel who was professional and courteous, and a blonde lady (apologies we did not get her name) who was also very friendly but they were absolutely run off their feet, serving both the bar and restaurant. I quietly wondered to myself if the rest of the staff we encountered were products of the Basil Fawlty Academy for charm and social graces. Dour faces and snappy manners will not win return visits from guests. This hotel badly needs a total makeover, designated staff and more of them, re-training for some existing staff and a serious chef in the kitchen. Would we be returning to this hotel anytime soon? In a word No

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DoreenaJ
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This could be a gem....however we recently stayed in a lodge and the beds are AWFUL! They also lack basic cleaning standards, dirty old blankets on the beds and throws that I was frightened to touch.

2 days without hot water left me feeling like a refugee, the location is ideal, with some small investment in the lodges and someone with an eye for detail managing the bar and restaurant this could attract lots of new customers, sadly it's far from being comfortable or well run.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jane T
Reviewed March 30, 2013

OK, if you are looking to stay at the Kilcoran Lodge, then you probably are looking to get a special offer like I did. The offer will seem really good…almost too good, but you will get exactly what you pay for with the deal. No more, no less.

The thing that really struck me about the Kilcoran Lodge was large amount of antique furniture of considerable value. The rest of the lodge hasn’t been touched since the 1970s and I can only imagine what the heating bill is with the single glaze windows. The room was ok enough but the TV was at least 10 years old and had a 12 inch screen. The other thing I noticed about the room was that music could be heard from the pub below. So, no sound proofing there.

The staff were not very friendly but I suppose one can blame the operational setup for that. The receptionist for the hotel also functions as the waiter in the restaurant. Now that was a first for me and it is taking austerity measures for the hotel a bit too far, in my opinion. I was wondering if it was just a once off, but no, it was the same the next morning when we had breakfast.

The Leisure Facilities are NOT in the main building, so be prepared to walk outside to a very average at best leisure centre. There are no lockers for your belongings and the pool was very cold. They don’t mention this on their website.

The best part of the Kilcoran Lodge is the food. Both dinner and breakfast were very good. It surprised me a bit, but then again a chef there would have all the time in the world to prepare and would rarely be in a rush from what I could see.

The final conclusion is that the Kilcoran Lodge could be an amazing place if the owners would be willing to invest in more staff, have a new look by mixing the old with a bit of new, and by making comfort and customer service paramount. It’s doubtful this will ever happen though. Like I said, the place looks like it hasn’t been touched since the 70’s.

Room Tip: Don't stay above the bar. There isn't any sound proofing.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family