“Warm & Homely”

Kilcoran Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cahir
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

My fiancee and I stayed here for a two night break and after feeling sceptical initially we found the warm,friendly atmosphere of this old world hotel made us feel relaxed and at home.Food was traditional and very tasty and portions were more than adequate.The bed in our very clean room was so comfortable, we slept really well and woke feeling refreshed. All in all thanks to Connie and the lovely staff for a much needed break pfrom the rat race.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I read good reviews of this location, so I booked it for a stop during my Irish tour. Upon arrival, we waited more than 10 minutes to be greeted. Our room was very small with a very old and outdated television that had very poor reception. The building was cold and damp. Our room had worn carpeting and old paint that needed to be updated. Our bathroom had no washcloths, but soap was provided in a liquid dispenser that was attached to the walls of the shower. So, it was difficult to use the soap without a washcloth. There was black mold growing on the walls above the shower tiling.

The bed was acceptable as were the pillows. Our "view" was of the back of fire escape and the back of a staff entrance. No view of the famed Galtee mountains for us.

The hotel was in a convenient location and was well marked off the motorway. The parking was ample and it was self park. It was an easy lot for a foreigner to maneuver. Cahir is well situated in county Tipperary and is near some nice attractions. There was free access to a computer in the lobby which was nice.

The breakfast was adequate but not anything spectacular. It seemed as if this hotel is better known for serving large group events rather than individuals. The hotel appeared to be getting ready for a large event upon our arrival, and attention was definitely focused on that during our stay.

Both Charlotte and Sinead were friendly and helpful. I wanted to fill out the comment paper that was in my room but there was no PEN in the room. I decided not to ask for anything because I was so exhausted and wet and tired that night. I just went to bed and politely left in the morning. For the money, I think it was my least favorite stay in Ireland.

Room Tip: There are "bad locations" in this hotel. We had a room that looked to the back of a fire...
2  Thank snjmom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed here with our two teenage daughters in February, and were delighted both with the fantastic atmospheric Lodge, and the warmth and helpfulness of the staff. Particular thanks to Charlotte for all her help and kindness when one of the girls became ill. She is a glowing ambassador for the "Warmth of the Irish" The Reception area and Lobby are filled with Wedding photos of past bridal couples dating back to the 1950's, and the olde world charm of the place was enhanced by the lovely peat fire in the Bar, and Stove in Reception. The Leisure Centre is small but adequate, and we enjoyed the Steam Room, Sauna, Jacuzzi and Pool. Opening hours were till 10pm which suited our family, and it was never too busy. We ate both in the Restaurant and in the Bar, and were all very happy with the quality, presentation and taste of everything we ate - without exception. The Restaurant Menu was a bit limited, but the staff were more than happy to make suggestions and serve from the Bar Menu too. Overall, a wonderful stay. We will return.

Room Tip: Bridal Suite looked absolutely amazing - would consider upgrade if I return without the children
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I would like to say that we had a brilliant time at the Kilcoran Lodge Hotel. The bedroom was gorgeous the staff were lovely and so helpful especially Christine and charlotte in reception you were both brilliant! The bathroom was spotless and the pressure in the shower... AMAZING :). We didn't find any trouble with the heat as there was a spare plug in radiator thing which belted out heat so we had no faults there, the only little blip was I wasn't mad on the food, but we ate it the girls were lovely and nothing came out wrong, maybe I'm just picky? Anyway thanks girls and guys (Liam? From the bar?) you made our valentines wonderful! We shall be back :D

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on the 12th and 13th of Feb and I have to say we found a little Gem. We came here on a two night package and were a little sceptical at first but this old world hotel did not disappoint us. If you come here and don't expect the ritz I assure you'll not be disappointed. The food and service of same was second to none,Sinead in particular took great care of us but all staff were great. the bar and foyer with their open fire and stove gave this hotel a very cozy feel indeed a home away from home. We thank you all again and look foward to a return visit to this little Gem.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Dellk66
Reviewed February 12, 2013

stayed here for a friends wedding and its a lovely hotel. food was lovely- staff were nice. my only quip was i paid the same amount as a friend to stay there and her room was bigger than ours, my and my husbands room was quite small compared to hers. no big deal just annoyed me a bit.

Room Tip: get a back room if theres a function on
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed in he hotel last weekend and couldn't believe the cold in the room. the windows were constantly covered in condisation and a damp smell out of the room. from what we heard everyone felt the same about their rooms. food was nice in the restaurant and got a great deal for dinner. but over all unhappy with the lack of organisation in the hotel and the clearly skimping on the heating bill.

Room Tip: ask is the heating on and that there are enough towels and toilet roll.
1  Thank Graham B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahir
Cahir House Hotel
The Horse & Jockey Hotel
Hotel Minella
Hotel Minella
#1 of 6 in Clonmel

Been to Kilcoran Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!