“A perfect meal”

Ranked #2 of 36 Restaurants in Cashel
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located in A 19th century church beside the legendary Rock of Cashel, Chez Hans Has been serving the very best of local and seasonal produce in one of the most atmospheric dinning rooms in Ireland since 1968.
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were intrigued to hear about this restaurant in a church and were delighted with the experience from the moment of walking through the door! The bar was cosy with an open fire and then we were lead through to the church where we had the biggest table for 2 I've seen and a delicious meal of mussels, & lamb cutlets and I had Hake (fall apart, melt in your mouth) and Raspberry Nougat. Yum!

1  Thank Marg255060

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Cashel is a lovely town in Tipperary. We(four) drove up to stay overnight in Baileys Hotel, which is perfectly situated in the centre of town. More about that in a separate review.
Chez Hans is a converted church. The last time I was there was maybe ten years ago and I remember thinking how lovely it was then. We were guests. This was a wonderful birthday gift.
Overall :the food is just wonderful. The service is excellent without being overbaring. The decor is fantastic as I just loved the art work. And last but certainly not least the ambience was just buzzing.
First off we had pre dinner drinks in the bar area. Lively but not so that the various groups intrude on each other. Menus were delivered during our drinks so we all got to discuss the various dishes.
The menu is not long but it's strong on content.
We had a great table. Linen, stem ware perfect. There are two menus(if memory serves me well )a la carte and set.
Each couple did one of each. Starter and main. The others went onto have cheese and a sample plate of desserts. Yum.
Everyone raved about the mains. I had Quail x2, basted in a lime chilli sauce. Served on a wooden platter. Stunning. Another had Fillet Steak, perfectly cooked rare. Hand cut potato chips. And finally Rack of lamb, generous in its serving again moist. Eaten in awe. Savoured with relish and finished off with sighs of contentment. I believe the cheeses and pudds were also great. Washed down with a light white and a robust red. What more could you ask for.
Prices for starters go from 7-12euro. Mains 22-30 Euro. Obviously I don't know the final bill given we were guests but what a great night out.
Do not pass Cash El. Go straight to Chez Hans but make sure you book. This place is so popular you just can't drop in. It won't be ten years before we go back that's for sure. Just perfect. Oh and the staff are just so helpful and friendly. This place would be great for a celebratory night out. GO!!

2  Thank RealFoodIreland
Reviewed September 22, 2013

A cullinary delight. Everything was excellent. Starters, mains and desert flawless. 3 went for dinner and 3 left just nicely full and utterly satisfied. We all ate something different for each course so get to taste lots of dishes always the best way to judge.
No complaints

1  Thank meandu7913
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I love this place. great for a special occasion. the menu seems rather basic, but everything is done well. my wife had the roasted breast of chicken, for example, and the skin was the crispest--and tastiest--as any I've had. the mushroom soup may have been the best I've ever had. the atmosphere is just fabulous, and the service is terrific, too. if you're in the area, make some ressies and go. you won't regret it!

2  Thank lyle47
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Our party of six was in Cashel, a quiet provincial town in Tipperary. We asked the clerk at our hotel for a recommendation for a good restaurant. She suggested Chez Hans and called and booked a reservation for us. When we got in the cab and told the driver where we were going, he said "How the ---- did you manage that, they are booked up for months!" The restaurant is in an old church and is immaculate. We sat in the lobby, had a Guiness and looked over the menu. We ordered and were shown to our table in the main part of the church. Beautiful does not do it justice! It was tasteful and intimate, while crowded the acoustics were such that we could have a conversation without shouting.

The service was superb and our appetizers arrived promptly, all six of us were thrilled with their quality. I asked the waiter to tell the chef that my quail was the best quail that I had ever tasted. He promptly replied "Ah but you haven't tasted my quail yet" in his best Irish accent. The main courses and desserts were equally amazing. This was the best restaurant meal that I have ever experienced, and experience it was.

3  Thank geoffsmith_12