“Convenient to Rock of Cashel”

O'Briens Cashel Lodge
United States
“Convenient to Rock of Cashel”
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Located at the foot of the Rock of Cashel, this place has a great view of the ruins of Hore Abbey across the street. The bed was among the most comfortable on my trip. I got a private room, which was very clean and new with beautiful wood floors. The only annoying thing was, when I asked for directions to a pay phone, because I didn't want to wander around town looking for one, I was told that everyone has cell phones now so the lodge doesn't have one.

• Stayed August 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed April 3, 2008

Rarely do I say a hostel qualifies as "beautiful" but O'Briens (now known as Cashel Lodge) deserves that description. The owners have clearly put a lot of time and love into fixing up this building. They seem to want to cater to many different types of travelers, so the hostel includes private rooms (at the far end and away from the dorm rooms) and as well as dorm beds. There's a spotless kitchen connected to a nice common room that had a blazing fire the night we stayed. That was a plus because our trip to the Rock of Cashel was COLD and WINDY!

It was also a fabulous deal. We found Ireland outrageously expensive ($7 for a pint!), but Cashel Lodge was only 75 euro for three people in a private room with bath. That was easily the cheapest accommodation we had in Ireland and it was much nicer than most.

What else? Lots of parking. Right next to the ruins of Hore Abbey. Picnic tables for sunny relaxation. Great views of the Rock of Cashel (which is directly across the street). Two-minute walk to Cashel's main street. Probably not a party hostel but a great place for anyone else (including my late 60s parents who loved it).

• Liked — Cleanliness, Bargain Price, Neat Mix of Guests
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MJennings
ribbitrbbt
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I found O'Brien's Holiday Lodge in a guidebook, and this is one time I am happy I followed their suggestion. The O'Brien's were LOVELY. I arrived alone by bus late at night, and even though the lodge is just a 5 minute walk from the center of town, they came to pick me up from the bus stop! I thought this was just over and above the call of duty.
I stayed in the 6-bed dorm, only paying 18 -euro, and was just amazed by how clean everything was. This was the first time in all my travels in hostels/bunkhouses/dorms that I did not feel the need to use my own travel sheet! The rooms are in a converted barn, with many of the interior walls still the original stonework. It was warm and cozy.
I HIGHLY recommend this lodge to everyone! I hope to return, again, myself.

• Liked — The staff and beautiful setting
  • Disliked — nothing, it was all great
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank ribbitrbbt
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 14, 2007

Two of my daughters and I stayed at the "Cashel Lodge" in August. It was so sparkling clean and new looking that I thought it had been recently renovated. But in speaking to the owner, I found out that it had been done over a year before. Our triple room and bathroom were spotless. At €75/night for a triple room, it was also the lowest rate I paid for all of my lodgings in Ireland. A fully equipped and equally clean kitchen/living/dining room is available for use by guests. We walked to town and found 3 grocery stores open until at least 9 p.m. So breakfast, although not included in the room rate, was easy to obtain. Breakfast is available at the Lodge, for a charge. The Rock of Cashel is literally across the road and up the hill. We were there in 10-15 minutes on foot and didn't have the parking hassle or cost. Don't be confused by the Lodge's name. It was known as the O'Brien Holiday Lodge until a new hostel in town took a similar name. The new name is/will be Cashel Lodge. Use this web address for no mistakes [--] . This place was a gem of a find! My only regret is that I didn't plan to spend more than 1 night here. I won't make that mistake again. I'll be staying longer next time and exploring more of Tipperary County.

• Liked — Quality of accommodation (cleanliness, amenities, safety, location for the price)
  • Disliked — Wasn't clear on where to go for check-in and check-out.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank aggiecat
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed August 12, 2007

My husband and I spent our first night in Ireland at O'Brien's Holiday Lodge. Our room was in a beautiful, restored stone building, and the attention to detail inside was evident in every crevice, starting with the gleaming hardwood floors. Our room had an exposed stone wall inside and a large, new bathroom with sparkling tiles and fixtures. Though firm, the bed was new, comfortable and clean - everything about the lodge was spotless, and from the grounds you have a spectacular view of Hore Abbey. In fact, it's probably less than a 5 minute walk from the Lodge to Hore Abbey. This property cannot be beat for the price - I believe we paid 60 euro for the room, which had a double bed and a twin bed. I'd highly recommend this facility for someone looking for a lovely place to stay.

• Liked — Location and room decor
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roxci623
oregon
Reviewed July 10, 2007

At O’Brien’s Farmhouse Lodge in Cashel we felt like family guests. Tom and Brid O’Brien went out of their way to make us feel at home. They did all our laundry so that we could continue our trip with some clean clothing and when I was too tired to join the rest of the family at the Cultural Centre Tom graciously went to town and brought me back a newspaper. Sometimes on vacation it is nice to put your feet up and enjoy the paper! The Farmhouse is conveniently located near Cashel Rock and next door to Hore Abbey. The grounds are peaceful, the rooms quaint, everything is spotless and the value can’t be beat!

• Liked — The grounds were peaceful after a full day touring
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Oregonians4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cashel
Baileys Hotel Cashel
Peggy O'Neills B&B
Peggy O'Neills B&B
#1 of 16 in Cashel
Tir Na Nog Bed & Breakfast

Been to O'Briens Cashel Lodge? Share your experiences!