“Only stay if there if you're desperate!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cashel Holiday Hostel

Cashel Holiday Hostel
Ireland
“Only stay if there if you're desperate!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Grotty and old. Very cold welcome by a gentleman who didn't seem to care about his guests. Requested double room and given a room with bunk beds. The bottom bunk was "3'9 wide so therefore a double" according the the gentleman that booked us in. Didn't care about our concerns. Will not be recommending this horrible hostel. It's the type of place that gives hostels in Ireland a bad name. I was going to take photos but wanted to just get out of the place as soon as I could!

The only saving grace was the really nice lady that I returned my key in the morning.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Megsimay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bellingham, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

I needed a place to stay for one night in Cashel as I would be touring the Rock that afternoon after driving from the Dublin Airport. From the website this looked like an O.K. place at a very good price, but the experience was terrible.

I had booked directly with the hostel for a private single room for the rate of 30 euros. I knew there was limited street parking in front, but there were two pay parking lots nearby by which were free between 6 pm and 8 am. When I arrived, I found the four parking spaces in front on the very narrow street were all filled so I headed for the paid lot. When I arrived the young woman decided to change my room assignment to give me an ensuite (which I thought I was already booked for anyway). I was also asked to pay a 5 euro key deposit. I was given a small room on the first floor (second floor in U.S.) with two bunk beds and a very tiny bathroom. I was tired and stressed from having to deal with rental car problems by that point so I just accepted it.

The bunk contained a very hard mattress, with flannel sheet, a duvet, and a floppy pillow. I think they were clean but they were definitely old. The light over the bed was missing it's cover so wires were exposed. The ceiling light was not really good for reading and there were no other places to sit other than the bunks unless you went down to the lounge. About 8 pm it was getting cold and I went down to ask how to get some heat; I was told the radiators would come on soon; they never did and I only kept warm by staying buried in the duvet.

The bathroom had a very tiny sink, a soap dispenser, toilet and the dirtiest shower I've ever encountered. There was on old used bar of soap and clots on hair on the bottom. I'm not a neat-freak but even that shower was too disgusting for me to use. I had not noticed it the night before because the bathroom light was so dim so I just had a spit-bath the next morning. No towels were provided.

The location was right in the center of town so it was easy to walk to cafes and to the Rock, but I would definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank comcox
Vincennes, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

Excellent situation close to Main Street and the rock of Cashel.
Shared kitchen favourable to meet the other residents.
Quiet, clean.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dirnador
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2009

Cashel Holiday Hostel has definitely been our best hostel experience so far in Ireland! Granted, we are here during the off-season, so there's only a couple other guests here, but we have nonetheless had a great time! The location is fantastic, right off Main St. in Cashel. The service has been great, almost verging on too helpful! Its a funky building, with orange walls and lots of old posters, but its very comfortable and welcoming. The dining area is large and open, the common room has a fireplace, hardwood floors and comfortable couches. The dorm rooms are cozy and clean, although the bathroom (en suite) was a little small. They are doing improvements, however, so that may change as well. There is free wireless. Basically, I was sad to leave!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank tayrosecrans
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

The comfort is minimal
The kitchen is not very functional, gas installation seems old and insecure
No parking, and in Cashel it a problem as no free park exists

Go there only if you cannot pay a few more.

Positive point : the staff is pleasant.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cashel
Baileys Hotel Cashel
#2 of 19 in Cashel
Peggy O'Neills B&B
Peggy O'Neills B&B
#1 of 19 in Cashel

Been to Cashel Holiday Hostel? Share your experiences!