Mulcahy's Clonmel
$80
  • Breakfast included
Hillcourt B&B(Clonmel)
  • Free Internet
All reviewssteaktown centrebed and breakfastcarverypubaccommodation
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We eat in mulcahys twice in the one day.Firstly the group had breakfast and we also eat dinner in the evening.Breakfast was hot and well presented.Dinner was excellent with most of the group leaving some food behind, (too full).Service was very fast and efficent,provided by pleasent staff particulary the gent with the glasses.Overall the premises is well maintained.Parking is a problem on this street.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Arriving just after 8pm on a Sunday evening, tired and hungry from travelling all day,we were most disappointed to find that there was no obvious car park by the hotel as stated -- having driven around the block because of the one way system ( and no space to pull up outside the hotel ) I phoned to ask advice and was told I would have to go back to the town centre. Bearing in mind that I had said that I was in a parallel street and opposite the Council Offices it was quite apparent that the young lady had no idea of how to help me.
Eventually accepting the help of a local lady who got in the car with us I managed to double park whilst the said lady came with me into the hotel.
The so-called car park was a demolition site quite a distance around the block - with high closed doors which we were told were already locked for the night, we were later told that no, they were never locked. I have to say that we actually felt more than a little concerned about the safety aspect.
The original lady I had spoken to on booking was lovely and helpful - but the young lady who was at the reception desk when we arrived seemed to have little knowledge of the language for a start, was completely unwelcoming, (not even a smile!) and was totally unbothered by the fact that we , two elderly ladies, were unable to get anything at all to eat --everything in the town was shut apart from a kebab take-away which we didn't really feel like. We would have settled for a piece of toast and a cup of tea. Having searched the nearby streets in vain we returned to find the same young lady leaning against the front wall of the hotel with her cigarette -- not, we felt, a good advert at all!
We almost decided not to bother with having breakfast, but had to eat so stayed -- we had a really delicious Irish breakfast served by a charming young woman -- when she asked if everything had been alright we said that the breakfast had made up for our rather less enjoyable arrival. She seemed genuinely surprised that at 8.15pm we hadn't been offered anything at all.
I'm afraid the overall impression was of a rather 'grubby' hotel although the food at breakfast was excellent. We would not make a return visit .

Room Tip: Having only seen our own room, second floor facing the main street it's difficult to suggest, but I would imagine a first floor room at the back would be far better.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Marion G
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Had Lunch here during the week.Place was busy and food was hot and fresh. Decent selection and well laid out carvery. Serves purpose for what it is. Handy to grab a bite and be on your way.Dining area kinda weird, feels like you are in a nightclub.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 1, 2012

A disaster stay in Mulcahy's Clonmel and no customer service after on complaint

Stayed here last week and with the noise from the bar I could not sleep and I was on the 2nd floor. ( which was filthy and a trek to get there) The T.V only had minimal satellite channels and was supposed to have RTE as well. The lady working there tried to help but she couldnt get the RTE channels working either.
When I took my time to email and give negative feedback. I got no customer satisfaction. Customer is always right well not in this case.
I got an email back and it did not contain correct information.
The manager clearly didnt speak with the staff regarding the t.v. as stated in the email because my complaint was regarding satellite and rte not working the staff were aware of this. She said the staff said everything was working.
I also asked if there was a nite club and following their reply I said so there will be no loud noise from the hotel yet there was music playing in the hotel really loud noise, Street noise is totally acceptable and outside the control of the hotel but the hotel could control this and when I phoned the bar manager he said it would be shut off straight away it played on and on I got no sleep for ages. There was a hair in my breakfast and not mine.

In conclusion: They lied about the music and noise in the hotel, now have lied about there t.v. working. and have taken no responsibility for my bad experience in the hotel and highlighted the fact there were no other complaints there is no second guessing what that statement means.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Catriona M
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This place is pretty basic and pricey for what you get. We arrived late on the first night and the staff were great, even accommodating us with food in the bar, we both had steaks which were excellant. It was all a bit down hill from there. We found the hallways had an unpleasant smell. The room was fine but I had difficulty with the shower (could be me) and it was a considerable climb to the second floor. There was a general grotty feeling about the place and the breakfast was only passable. .

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple