“4 star hotel ????”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Clonmel
Dublin, Ireland
“4 star hotel ????”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Myself and a friend booked both of our families in for 30th and 31st of December for new year and we were disappointed with the hotel.It is a modern hotel,is clean and warm, but the rooms are not fit for families and should not be advertised as such.Putting in a pop up bed in these rooms leaves little room for manouver and must be considered a fire hazard as it is under the only opening window in the room.This means you have to crawl over two beds to get to the window in an emergency.We were asked if we wanted it somewhere else, but then we would have been totally spaceless.Storage space for clothes etc is minimal.The bathroom only has a shower over bath arrangement which is quite high to step over and if you're over 5ft 6inches you have to stoop down to get the benifit of the shower.The door of the bathroom faces into the room, but so easily could have been put beside the main door to the room, to give one a little privicy. The carpets in the upstairs corridors are badly soiled.My main gripe with this establishment is the meal served to us in the restaurant,which was booked in advance so they knew we and maybe a hundred or more people were coming to dine,on new years eve.We sat down and ordered our meal.After two enquiries about the delay, the starters arrived, after a 35 minute wait. All three soups were tepid and two were returned and replaced. The mains arrived after another delay and two of the chicken dishes were cold and one was returned. While this was ongoing the potatoes and veg arrived and again they were cold.As the chicken dish came back,we had to return the potatoes and veg and carry on with the other mains without the sides of potato and veg.This arrived back after 5 minutes, but most of the mains had been consumed.The kids were served last which is unusual as most child friendly hotels feed the kids first so the parents can enjoy their own meals.We kept getting apologies and an offer of wine(which we don't drink) but the celebration meal was ruined.My fellow guests and I were stressed and this ruined the evening.We did get to talk to Michael, introduced as the general manager, and he was totally apologetic and offered no excuses and offered a reduction on the bill. He was very nice and professional about the incident, but the damage was done.The swimming pool was dated, quite dark even in daytime and changing rooms need major renovation.Staff are young,efficent and very polite/ helpful (this includes the housekeeping personal).Could be a landmark hotel as it is in a nice spot with ample car parking and a shopping mall next door,but was let down by poor service on a night we should have been celebrating the new year.Also some housekeeping issues surrounding the pool, carpets and the room set up.Paul Boylan (room 117) pboylan@eircom.ie

ereose the service of in their restaurant (which was booked in advance).

Room Tip: For a family,get a good look at the room before checking in.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank paulBoylan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed December 27, 2012

A group of four attended the Clonmel Park Hotel for Christmas Day Lunch. At a cost of 70 euro per head we were bitterly disappointed. The tables were very unfestive with just two crackers and one streamer on our table. The soup was the texture of wallpaer paste. The turkey and ham was very unsatisfactory- just a small sliver of hard ham underneath the turkey. Apart from diced turnips and carrots we were given 3 Brussels Sprouts each!!! There was no Christmas Cake or Mince Pies. Not even a sweet was offered.
Each course was returned with just a bare amount eaten from each plate. No member of staff questioned that. Neither did any waiter/waitress/manager approach our table at any stage to enquire if everything was okay.
If you are going to do something you do it well or not at all. It was a total waste of money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank dba186600
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This hotel is not bad, rooms are fine, evening meal was okay but the breakfast could be better as there was no baked beans. There is a KFC 20 meters away if you fancy eating there. The free WiFi is quick. There is plenty of free parking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank oscarsmad23
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 9, 2012

28-11-12, I phoned the Clonmel Park Hotel to book Christmas day lunch for a party of three.
I was given names of the only two (girls) who are taking the bookings for Christmas Day Lunch, but one was away that day, and the other could not be found. I said thats ok, I will phone tomorrow again. I was near there on business so I called in person, only to meet this Lad at reception. I asked for one of the girls in question and even though he agreed she was in the room behind him, he totally refused to get her for me. I explained that It had to be her I see, he asked me my name, I said she does not know me but gave it to him anyway, he asked if he could help me, I said no that I have to see her, he refused to get her then telling me to go away and sit & wait and he will see. I said I'd wait here if you don't mind as Im in a hurry and she is just behind you, he started the whole interrogation again. He was totally unhelpful, aggogant, stubborn and pushy. Put me right off. The situation with him became so impossible that I ended up telling him to forget about it, and I left. I later acquired his name and that he was manager on that morn.
I thought "Brennans" need to know about this as he is doing them no good. I e-mailed them with the complaint that evening, and asking them to get back to me or I would be writing a review. Its now nine days later and I have not heard from them, so I take it they are not interested, or someone else is not doing their job properly either.
Not a good experience !

9 Thank 15John
Northamptonshire
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed for 1 night in November, room was very nicely furnished, however you could hear the lift from in the room.
I was on the top floor and was kept awake by the loud music until past midnight by the weekly dancing in one of the functions.
I complained to the management who offered to move me to another room - I declined as it was 11.30 pm, they did agree to reduce my bill when I checked out.
I would suggest that you request a room at the front/side of the hotel to avoid being kept awake by the function rooms and not face the main road.
Bar food was ok, and breakfast was good, plenty of free parking

Room Tip: Rooms to the front and side should be away from the function rooms
1 Thank Sunseekers-TRIP
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel could do with new carpets. The carpets are stained, although the actual hotel is very clean. The staff were very friendly. On Saturday night it was very noisy as there were a couple of parties, but the Sunday night was nice and quiet. This is a basic hotel with all you could need. The food was good but nothing extraordinary.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

As a business traveller, staying in 3 different hotel every week (Tues to Fri), I have stayed in all grades of hotels, with varying standards. So, I wasn't expecting 5* Golf Resort standards from the Clonmel Park but..... I found the reception pleasant but not overly welcoming - I guess best summarised by "someone doing her job but nothing more". I had to wait at least 15 minutes in the bar (which was freezing cold and dirty) for someone to take to take an order for my food, which when it arrived was more grease than sauce. Again, allowing for varying standards in facilites depending on location and price, when I am paying a standard comparable price for a meal in a hotel I expect a caparable meal. I was so disappointed with the greasy feeling I was left, I didn't finish my meal and didn't even attempt dessert!

It remains to be seen what breakfast will bring, if I make it through the night that is, as the heat in the room is currently unbearable (and its November!) but suffice it to say I will try somewhere else on my next visit to Clonmel. Its just a pity there are so few options here.

3 Thank Lushlashes70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonmel
Hotel Minella
#6 of 6 in Clonmel
Cahir House Hotel
Cahir House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cahir

Been to Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa? Share your experiences!