Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa
$50
$99
Richmond House(Cappoquin)
$134
All reviewsretail parkkids clublovely hotelwould highly recommend this hotelbar foodhotel barfrom start to finishstayed here for one nightwaiting staffan evening mealfood was lovelysaturday nightlast weekendsecond to noneenjoyable staytop classwedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The organisation recently held a conference and used the Poppyfield ballroom. I didn't organise the conference but I was very happy with the management of the event. The room itself is slightly old fashioned with a thick green carpeted floor surrounding a wooden floor. The catering was presented very well and tasted very good. The staff were very helpful and obliging. The event was held at the same time as a debs do and to be honest you wouldn't have known (maybe the debs were particularly quiet!) i would recommend this place for an event.
The overnight stay was fine and I slept well. The room was adequately furnished and an adequate size. I managed to get a dip in the pool before it closed. It was very small and dark. I had forgotten my goggles but lucky enough it wasn't overdosed with chlorine. Overall I had a nice stay at the hotel and would recommend it as they were reasonable at €79.00 for the night inc. breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank leinsterfamilygal
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a night in August, lovely room, clean, had everything we need. Great facilities, fantastic breakfast, handy location which was quiet yet close to shops and motorway, thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank flyingdutch107
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel itself is really nice and we were warmly greeted on arrival. It was just myself and my 5 year old, so the double room with double bed and single bed (which had a pull-out spare bed underneath, much to my son's delight on discovery) were perfect. The room was lovely, and smelled clean, but there was dust on all the metal fixtures, eg lamp and table bases, plus on the headboard.

The leisure complex staff were lovely and very helpful. The pool was lovely,but the rule about only suporvised kids was not really enforced. I didn't use the gym, but it looked well appointed.

The bar, where we ate night one, was terrible. I sat down and was ignored for 25 minutes, at which point I went to the bar itself. I was then ignored by staff who were talking amongst themselves, then overlooked for a patron who arrived after me. I was told someone would take my food order at my table. The food was hit and miss, and expensive. Stay away from the chicken Caesar, the chicken was incredibly dry. At the end, I had to go back to the bar for the bill. It was not very busy, and there were at least 6 staff on duty between table and bar service. All were student age, no older management to be seen.

Breakfast the next morning was again hit and miss, but the staff, again student age, were very attentive and on the ball. No complaints about staff, food was ok.

We dined in the hotel restaurant the second night. My advice, give it a miss. The student age staff were lovely, although there did not appear to be any continuity of care. The food was decidedly average. We paid €20 each for a steak (too well done, though probably my fault for not specifying, though not asked) and chicken fillet (€10 for 10 in my local butchers). There was no price displayed either, so I had no idea what I was getting into.

Breakfast day 2 was again hit and miss, but I knew what to avoid. Staff this time had no interest in getting tea or coffee for guests and had to be hunted down for a pot of tea.

The beds were comfy, the linen clean and also comfy.

The hotel does suffer from echoes. People walking quickly (or kids running) down corridors are loud. There isn't anything staff can do about this, but it does disturb sleep.

On the first night I stayed, a "debs" ball was taking place (This is a dance that school leavers attend a couple of months after secondary school has finished). The first night I barely slept. Many debs attendees had checked in to the hotel, and they made their presence known by drunkenly running around and being loud. I do not blame the hotel for that. I was awakened many times during that night, but it came to a head when a group of young men were outside the entrance, under my room, at 5.30am smoking and being very loud. I could not get back to sleep, much as I tried. In fairness to the night porter, once I complained, the disturbance was gone within 5 minutes, so a big thank you to him!

The second night I had no such issues, so I can only blame the ball!

All in all, the hotel is very nice, but the service (aside from reception at all times) is very hit and miss. I'd recommend staying there, but don't dine there. And find out if there are any debs taking place!

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have great views, but are beside a busy road, and run the risk of noisy bar patrons. I don't know what rear facing views are like.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed in this hotel recently with my daughters and my grandchildren. We were very comfortable there and I couldn't fault the food. Rooms are quite large but no air con is a pity. Bar service is on the slow side but you are on hols so time is not an issue. Would recommend this hotel to others. Leisure centre is a little small and only ladders into the pool ruled me out as i suffer from back trouble.

Room Tip: choose to the front of the hotel as the rear is over the ballroom and weddings or discos make it difficult to sleep.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jesolodublin_10
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night stay in the Clonmel Park Hotel and it was not an enjoyable experience. For a hotel with a four star rating, in our experience, it barely resembled a 3 star!

On check-in, the reception area [which is not large anyway] was full of wedding guests and after a lot of manoeuvring, we managed to avoid being in the wedding pictures and got to the reception desk. The receptionist wasn't in the least bit friendly and was very untidily dressed. She didn't greet us or welcome us, said she needed a credit card imprint and handed over the key card and told us re breakfast times. It was one of the most unprofessional and disinterested check-ins that we've experienced.

Our room was a smoking room [which we hadn't requested] - we didn't look for a change as my husband does smoke, however I don't! The bedroom carpet was dotted with large dark food stains and the double bed was the smallest bed we've ever seen in a hotel and it was also the most uncomfortable bed we've ever slept in.

The bathroom sink had a very large crack that was at least 16 inches long. Someone had put cream silicone on it to try to cover it, but it was disgusting and unhygienic. Plus there was a "drains" smell in the bathroom.

The furniture throughout the room was really shabby - the furniture was badly scratched, dented, burnt etc - not what you would expect in a 4 star hotel.

The next morning, we waited for the room service breakfast that we'd ordered the previous night [via the menu you place outside your door]. We'd ordered it for 9 to 9.30 but when 9.40 arrived and breakfast hadn't, I rang reception only to be told eventually that our order hadn't been received. After 20 minutes, breakfast arrived. It was possibly the worst breakfast we've ever seen. Apart from the fact that it was cold, some of it was also overcooked. Initially we didn't even realise that we'd been given both black and white pudding as they both looked the same! Due to the warning placed throughout the hotel of the busiest breakfast times, we opted for room service breakfast on our second night. This time, it arrived 15 minutes earlier than the start of the time slot we requested plus it was of the same quality as the previous days, cold and overcooked!

We didn't return to our room until late the second night and when I went into the bathroom, the empty body wash bottles that I'd left visible so that they'd be replaced, hadn't been removed and a cap from the bottle that I'd dropped into the plug hole, hadn't been removed either - meaning our room hadn't been cleaned properly. Our teabags hadn't been replaced either nor was the UHT milk replenished. Not acceptable in a 4 star hotel.

As for the TV, the selection of channels was bad and the remote control didn't work properly in that it was nearly impossible to lower or increase the volume.

There was a vending machine on our floor but it was daylight robbery - charging €2.20 for a packet of crisps is disgraceful.

The hotel caters for families and has lots of events and offers for them but it appears as they've no interest whatsoever in couples or people travelling alone.

The majority of the staff we encountered were extremely disinterested and unhelpful.

The only reason we chose this hotel was its closeness to our relations.

This is a hotel which given its location could be fabulous but in order to rise above "terrible"; it's got a lot of work to do.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple