“Great for a family break”

Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Clonmel
Dublin, Ireland
“Great for a family break”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel itself is really nice and we were warmly greeted on arrival. It was just myself and my 5 year old, so the double room with double bed and single bed (which had a pull-out spare bed underneath, much to my son's delight on discovery) were perfect. The room was lovely, and smelled clean, but there was dust on all the metal fixtures, eg lamp and table bases, plus on the headboard.

The leisure complex staff were lovely and very helpful. The pool was lovely,but the rule about only suporvised kids was not really enforced. I didn't use the gym, but it looked well appointed.

The bar, where we ate night one, was terrible. I sat down and was ignored for 25 minutes, at which point I went to the bar itself. I was then ignored by staff who were talking amongst themselves, then overlooked for a patron who arrived after me. I was told someone would take my food order at my table. The food was hit and miss, and expensive. Stay away from the chicken Caesar, the chicken was incredibly dry. At the end, I had to go back to the bar for the bill. It was not very busy, and there were at least 6 staff on duty between table and bar service. All were student age, no older management to be seen.

Breakfast the next morning was again hit and miss, but the staff, again student age, were very attentive and on the ball. No complaints about staff, food was ok.

We dined in the hotel restaurant the second night. My advice, give it a miss. The student age staff were lovely, although there did not appear to be any continuity of care. The food was decidedly average. We paid €20 each for a steak (too well done, though probably my fault for not specifying, though not asked) and chicken fillet (€10 for 10 in my local butchers). There was no price displayed either, so I had no idea what I was getting into.

Breakfast day 2 was again hit and miss, but I knew what to avoid. Staff this time had no interest in getting tea or coffee for guests and had to be hunted down for a pot of tea.

The beds were comfy, the linen clean and also comfy.

The hotel does suffer from echoes. People walking quickly (or kids running) down corridors are loud. There isn't anything staff can do about this, but it does disturb sleep.

On the first night I stayed, a "debs" ball was taking place (This is a dance that school leavers attend a couple of months after secondary school has finished). The first night I barely slept. Many debs attendees had checked in to the hotel, and they made their presence known by drunkenly running around and being loud. I do not blame the hotel for that. I was awakened many times during that night, but it came to a head when a group of young men were outside the entrance, under my room, at 5.30am smoking and being very loud. I could not get back to sleep, much as I tried. In fairness to the night porter, once I complained, the disturbance was gone within 5 minutes, so a big thank you to him!

The second night I had no such issues, so I can only blame the ball!

All in all, the hotel is very nice, but the service (aside from reception at all times) is very hit and miss. I'd recommend staying there, but don't dine there. And find out if there are any debs taking place!

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have great views, but are beside a busy road, and run the risk of noisy bar patro...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed in this hotel recently with my daughters and my grandchildren. We were very comfortable there and I couldn't fault the food. Rooms are quite large but no air con is a pity. Bar service is on the slow side but you are on hols so time is not an issue. Would recommend this hotel to others. Leisure centre is a little small and only ladders into the pool ruled me out as i suffer from back trouble.

Room Tip: choose to the front of the hotel as the rear is over the ballroom and weddings or discos make it dif...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jesolodublin_10
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night stay in the Clonmel Park Hotel and it was not an enjoyable experience. For a hotel with a four star rating, in our experience, it barely resembled a 3 star!

On check-in, the reception area [which is not large anyway] was full of wedding guests and after a lot of manoeuvring, we managed to avoid being in the wedding pictures and got to the reception desk. The receptionist wasn't in the least bit friendly and was very untidily dressed. She didn't greet us or welcome us, said she needed a credit card imprint and handed over the key card and told us re breakfast times. It was one of the most unprofessional and disinterested check-ins that we've experienced.

Our room was a smoking room [which we hadn't requested] - we didn't look for a change as my husband does smoke, however I don't! The bedroom carpet was dotted with large dark food stains and the double bed was the smallest bed we've ever seen in a hotel and it was also the most uncomfortable bed we've ever slept in.

The bathroom sink had a very large crack that was at least 16 inches long. Someone had put cream silicone on it to try to cover it, but it was disgusting and unhygienic. Plus there was a "drains" smell in the bathroom.

The furniture throughout the room was really shabby - the furniture was badly scratched, dented, burnt etc - not what you would expect in a 4 star hotel.

The next morning, we waited for the room service breakfast that we'd ordered the previous night [via the menu you place outside your door]. We'd ordered it for 9 to 9.30 but when 9.40 arrived and breakfast hadn't, I rang reception only to be told eventually that our order hadn't been received. After 20 minutes, breakfast arrived. It was possibly the worst breakfast we've ever seen. Apart from the fact that it was cold, some of it was also overcooked. Initially we didn't even realise that we'd been given both black and white pudding as they both looked the same! Due to the warning placed throughout the hotel of the busiest breakfast times, we opted for room service breakfast on our second night. This time, it arrived 15 minutes earlier than the start of the time slot we requested plus it was of the same quality as the previous days, cold and overcooked!

We didn't return to our room until late the second night and when I went into the bathroom, the empty body wash bottles that I'd left visible so that they'd be replaced, hadn't been removed and a cap from the bottle that I'd dropped into the plug hole, hadn't been removed either - meaning our room hadn't been cleaned properly. Our teabags hadn't been replaced either nor was the UHT milk replenished. Not acceptable in a 4 star hotel.

As for the TV, the selection of channels was bad and the remote control didn't work properly in that it was nearly impossible to lower or increase the volume.

There was a vending machine on our floor but it was daylight robbery - charging €2.20 for a packet of crisps is disgraceful.

The hotel caters for families and has lots of events and offers for them but it appears as they've no interest whatsoever in couples or people travelling alone.

The majority of the staff we encountered were extremely disinterested and unhelpful.

The only reason we chose this hotel was its closeness to our relations.

This is a hotel which given its location could be fabulous but in order to rise above "terrible"; it's got a lot of work to do.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Celticcreation
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Just stayed here for a Bank Holiday weekend-checked the website and the bedrooms and hotel facilities looked great!! How untrue-the pictures do not match the reality...stayed on a 3B&B deal which was reasonable but....the bedrooms are shabby to say the least with the furniture scratched and grubby(I checked 4 bedrooms and all were in the same sorry state) I enquired as to why and was told that the 3rd floor is the "Corporate" floor and is used a lot...even the grouting around the baths was black with dirt! The rooms are quiet small with a very strange furniture layout ...Wifi is advertised throughout the hotel-another lie-it is available on the lobby floor and 3rd floor with cables needed for the 1st and 2nd...even then the Wifi didnt work and when reported I was told it might get fixed for the weekend....also no Laundry facilities available for weekends as they outsource this!!! Unbelievable....the Spa is only open Monday to Saturday and is closed on a Bank holiday Sunday & Monday...no Iron in the bedrooms and there was a "q" for it...o and make sure you request a quiet room at the front of the hotel because the function room and smoking area are at the rear=no sleep. There is a "leisure Centre" but the pool is no more that 1.45 metres deep throughout so no diving and its full of kids all the time...and is about 15mX 5m in size! O I forgot to mention the attitude of the staff-spent 20 mins on the Saturday trying to book dinner at reception when there was one staff member on duty while I witnessed 3 staff members look out the office door and smile at ow busy it was...O and they love Weddings-and god help the lovely coulple as their drinks reception was right bang in the centre of the main hotel lobby where we other guests are in and out...in one hilarous moment my husband and myself were on our way to our room from the "pool" and had to wait as we were in the background of the poor couples wedding albumn!!!Overall this hotel is bad value for money, staff unhelpful and uncaring and the food is mediocre! Clonmel Park you need to pull up your socks !!

Room Tip: Rooms on the reception side of the hotel are quieter & 3rd floor have actual Wifi the others are...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Christine O
Tramore
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Myself, my partner and 2 kids visited the clonmel park hotel recently, on a 1 night midweek break. We booked this hotel because we got a good family deal. Beautiful hotel, rooms were nicely decorated, and spacious. Food was excellent and staff were friendly. Kids really enjoyed the swimming pool and kids club. Although we had a few faults, We had no wifi on the floor we were staying on, there was no entertainment in the bar, even though the hotel was full, mostly families, and the service in the restaurant was very very slow.

Room Tip: If you want wifi, don't stay on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JBtramore
meath
Reviewed August 3, 2012

had 3 nights b/b and 1 evening meal this week with family inc. 4 grandchildren. this is a well run hotel with friendly hard working staff who do their best to make your stay as pleasant as possible.the rooms where fine and well kept. breakfast is good and plentiful there is also a menu with lots of extras to choose from at no extra cost. the bar food i have to say was not up to standard and also a little over the top price wise,however the meal we had in the restaurant was first class from start to finish as was the service. the pool is good and kept clean,my grandchildren loved it and so did the adults. the hotel is situated outside the town but the town itself is well worth a visit, plenti of shops and places to eat and drink. we had a great lunch in mulcathy,s hotel very reasonable and tasty. we would have liked to see more of the town and surrounding area,but the weather was dreadful,but we still enjoyed our trip very much

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Just back from a 3 night stay , my first and definately last . The hotel is modern and clean and staff overall friendly. The heat in the building was bordering unbearable apart from the functionroom where the aircon seemed to be working , everwhere else was like an oven. When I asked a staff member , I was told there was a problem with it . I knew that ! and thought that in peak season it would have been sorted ASAP. The so called bar is a sorry Joke ! Freerange kids tearing around screeching and un checked by either the irresponsible parents or staff
The first night , one 10 year old 'Pup', took it upon himself to run up and down the hall knocking on bedroom doors , repeatedly and hiding in his own room . I rang reception and it was 'noted' Around his bedtime , midnight , it ceased .
The next evening , it commenced again . Ild had enough , and went down to see the manager Willie. He was sympathetic but gave me the impression that he coulnt really be seen to go around questioning guests. Later he came up and other guests had similar reports. Finally the little 'Pup' , under the so called care of his grandmother was caught.
Next morning going down for breakfast , as I came out of my room , was greeted byy a father and son playing football in the corridor .
Cleanliness in the bar , and service , leave a hell of a lot to be desired. The ashtrays out side wernt emptied in 10 hours to the point they were overflowing , overpriced drinks when you eventually got served, and noisier than a football match.
To sum up , if u like Trabolgan , ull just Love this place.
Other than that , dont waste your money

Room Tip: Try the Minella hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank 351cian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonmel
Hotel Minella
The Horse & Jockey Hotel
Raheen House Hotel
Raheen House Hotel
#3 of 6 in Clonmel

Been to Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa? Share your experiences!