The hotel itself is really nice and we were warmly greeted on arrival. It was just myself and my 5 year old, so the double room with double bed and single bed (which had a pull-out spare bed underneath, much to my son's delight on discovery) were perfect. The room was lovely, and smelled clean, but there was dust on all the metal fixtures, eg lamp and table bases, plus on the headboard.
The leisure complex staff were lovely and very helpful. The pool was lovely,but the rule about only suporvised kids was not really enforced. I didn't use the gym, but it looked well appointed.
The bar, where we ate night one, was terrible. I sat down and was ignored for 25 minutes, at which point I went to the bar itself. I was then ignored by staff who were talking amongst themselves, then overlooked for a patron who arrived after me. I was told someone would take my food order at my table. The food was hit and miss, and expensive. Stay away from the chicken Caesar, the chicken was incredibly dry. At the end, I had to go back to the bar for the bill. It was not very busy, and there were at least 6 staff on duty between table and bar service. All were student age, no older management to be seen.
Breakfast the next morning was again hit and miss, but the staff, again student age, were very attentive and on the ball. No complaints about staff, food was ok.
We dined in the hotel restaurant the second night. My advice, give it a miss. The student age staff were lovely, although there did not appear to be any continuity of care. The food was decidedly average. We paid €20 each for a steak (too well done, though probably my fault for not specifying, though not asked) and chicken fillet (€10 for 10 in my local butchers). There was no price displayed either, so I had no idea what I was getting into.
Breakfast day 2 was again hit and miss, but I knew what to avoid. Staff this time had no interest in getting tea or coffee for guests and had to be hunted down for a pot of tea.
The beds were comfy, the linen clean and also comfy.
The hotel does suffer from echoes. People walking quickly (or kids running) down corridors are loud. There isn't anything staff can do about this, but it does disturb sleep.
On the first night I stayed, a "debs" ball was taking place (This is a dance that school leavers attend a couple of months after secondary school has finished). The first night I barely slept. Many debs attendees had checked in to the hotel, and they made their presence known by drunkenly running around and being loud. I do not blame the hotel for that. I was awakened many times during that night, but it came to a head when a group of young men were outside the entrance, under my room, at 5.30am smoking and being very loud. I could not get back to sleep, much as I tried. In fairness to the night porter, once I complained, the disturbance was gone within 5 minutes, so a big thank you to him!
The second night I had no such issues, so I can only blame the ball!
All in all, the hotel is very nice, but the service (aside from reception at all times) is very hit and miss. I'd recommend staying there, but don't dine there. And find out if there are any debs taking place!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Brand new hotel with a modern stylish feel. 99 bedrooms all with flat screen TV and duvets. Leisure centre with sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi, indoor pool, gymnasium. Popular restaurant locally and lively bar with entertainment. Full spa now open. Free car parking. Excellent conference and banqueting facilities for up to 350. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clonmel Park Conference And Leisure Hotel
- Clonmel Park Conference Leisure Hotel