“Awful! Firetrap!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Clonmel
Rochester, New York
“Awful! Firetrap!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

Do not stay here. We were in room 5. Shortly after arriving we went down the back stairs following the "fire exit" signs. Came to a deadend at a locked gate in the alleyway. had to retrace steps and exit through the bar.

Room was small but suitable, but in the morning we could not release the safety chain we had hooked the night before. To get out of our room, we had to unscrew the chain from the wall, which i could do with my hands. Clearly it had been done by previous guests.

Breakfast was supposed to be served from 7:30 to 10, but when we came down at 8:15, the door was locked. We knocked politely and were met by a member of the staff who allowed us to sit until she was ready. No coffee offered. Dry cereal available but no milk. Eventually she put a half cooked egg in front of us (didnt ask for our preference). We had breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Anonymous967

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Niverville, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Spent eleven nights here from October 26 thru November 6.....everything was wonderful,the breakfast was delicious and cooked to order,the location was perfect and I must mention Declan and Shane ,the bartenders in the Pub....everyone was so friendly and helpful...enjoyed our stay immensely..

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
kerry
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I came on a one night stay to clonmel hoping for a nice comfortable stay. Oh how i was wrong! Where do i start?
1. Their website online says Full a la carte dinner menu served! And when i got there they said they no longer do this!! Why was this not online?
2. Hot tap and cold tap mixed up?
3. Cracked sink and dirt in between the cracks! Toilet smelled!
4. I went to boil water in the kettle when i opened it it was shocking dead bugs and dust in it!
5. Shaky windows!
7. Terrible fly problem in the bar area!
8. The heat of the shower lasted five minutes before it turned freezing!
9. The Wall paper was peeling from the wall of the dining room and paint peeling from the ceiling!
10. Paint peeling from outside window sills!

Room Tip: Dont go here! Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 65Irishcailin

Travelers are raving about these Clonmel hotels

Monaghan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Forgive the Cheers inspired title but I couldn't resist. I have stayed in this hotel on the same weekend ever year for the last three years when I attend the local Belly Bang Festival in Clonmel. I wish I could have wrote a review sooner than now. The first time I visited I was welcomed warmly by the staff who I found to be delightful and easy to talk to. Yes, the hotel is one of an older style and maybe in need of a few modern touches, but it fully suited my needs. Much to my surprise when I called to book my room for the second year, when I gave my name the member of staff I was dealing with remembered me from the previous year. When I arrived at the hotel again I was remembered. It was the same again this year. I don't know about anyone else, but as a returning customer who only visits one weekend out of a year, it is really nice when you are greeted as if you were a regular everyday visitor, It really helps you feel at home and this for me adds to the stay. As for parking facilities, there is a car park which is only about a two minute walk from the hotel.It is secure and only costs €3.50. I parked there for 48 hours all for €3.50!You cannot beat that for value! Only for a member of staff informed me of this I would have ended up paying an insane amount in the Superquinn carpark around the corner. If i had to visit Clonmel tomorrow I would be booking back into Fennessey's.

Room Tip: If you are in doubt of parking facilities etc, don't hesitate to ask the staff. They will gladly...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John M
Galway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Discovered this hotel and bar whilst I have been staying in Clonmel on business over the last 5 years as have spent 2 days a week here....good value for money, an early breakfast is provided which is probably the best in the town...

Rooms are perfectly adequate and there is no problem getting a good nights sleep especially with Clonmel being a quiet enough town during the week, whilst live entertainment is provided 2 nights a week which can be an ideal pre-club spot for a few drinks.....The 2 barstaff also provide an excellent welcome to all customers old and new and provide helpful tips on where to eat/sightsee etc...

Would recommend the place to anyone that ever needs to stay in Clonmel for business or pleasure - family have stayed here also from Galway and Sligo and have liked the place.

Brgds
Johnny Kiely

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor for views of the town
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jkmanc1974
Athy, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here for the May Bank Holiday weekend. Arrived and found they have no car park, we were to park in any of the 3 nearby supermarket car parks (which has to be paid for). Had to pay all upfront before given a key - I haven't experienced this anywhere I've ever stayed before. No lift, so we had to lug our bags up @4 flights of stairs before getting to the rooms.
The room was absolutely tiny, one locker on one side of the bed and the wardrobe was on the other! Additional pillows on the bed had to put on top of the wardrobe as there was no where else to put them and I used the window ledge as a shelf as the small dressing table was taken up with the tea/coffee facilities. Only one person could "shimmy" around the bottom of the bed and if you were on one side of the bed and the other person opened the bathroom door, one person had to move out of the way. On talking to other couples staying there, they mentioned similar issues.
The bathroom was like it had been only put in as an addition so took away from the space in the room. If I'd been charged the full price, I would have thought it was definitely overpriced for what it was. On the plus side, the bed was VERY comfortable and I slept quite well!

The breakfast next morning I have to say was lovely, the breakfast room was nicely laid out, very homely and more like a B&B than a hotel. The woman serving breakfast was also lovely, couldn't do enough for us and offered us refills on tea, coffee and food. Couldn't fault the food either.
Bar staff were also very helpful, We left our room key in and they rang us to say they were closing the front door and to ring them when we were on the way back.

Overall, the place could do with a face lift, it is quite dated and things are worn, but the service and the food is very good and it is right in the heart of the city, so you are very close to all the shops in the town.

Room Tip: none - as far as I know from talking to friends staying, all the rooms are tiny.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank morritraveller
Ontario, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Had a really nice stay here not so long ago. It's definitely not the Hilton, but the room was clean and spacious with tea/coffee and the breakfasts were simple but nice. There's probably nicer places to stay, but if you're on a budget (like we were!) then I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonmel
Hearn's Hotel
#2 of 6 in Clonmel
The Pilgrims Rest Hotel
The Pilgrims Rest Hotel
#2 of 3 in Cappoquin

Been to Fennessy's Hotel? Share your experiences!