“"Most relaxing Hotel in the world"”
Review of Hotel Minella

Hotel Minella
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Clonmel
Wexford, Ireland
“"Most relaxing Hotel in the world"”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I have travelled world wide over the last 16 years and stayed in some very impressive 5 star hotels, and I can genuinely say that Hotel Minella is the best of all. I have stayed with and without my family(hubby & 3 kids) and each stay has proved to be extremely relaxing and enjoyable. Extremely clean, comfortable(amazing beds and beautiful sheets), complementary water and fruit, leisure facilities fab, gym & great beautician. Staff are very helpful, do people really want to be annoyed when on a break? Just ask if you want something and you get it. Owners in my opinion are just perfect, the lady is so kind and welcoming and the gentleman John, in my opinion is spot on, he'll chat when you want to and stays quiet when he sees that you don't want to be disturbed, but is very accommodating and he was always great with the kids on local trip advice etc. You'd be mad not to stay here just don't tell anyone else as I don't want my little bit of heaven ruined!

Room Tip: Just tell them you want a nice room please!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
southwales
Reviewed February 6, 2012

just back from the National Coursing Festival having stayed 3 nights, and our stay was most comfortable and welcoming by the owners, who provided a daily complimentary afternoon tea buffet and the free hot whiskies and port most welcoming after a days coursing. Well done to the Nallens, will be back deffo wish we could have stayed longer so so enjoyed , thank you so much.

Back in May with the family for a weekend break........

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank walesquods
Co Cork
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I have never stayed overnight here in he hotel but I have been to several functions here, weddings, confirmations, general parties and have always found the food to be very very nice, never had bad food here. I am from Clonmel and it is well known that the owner here is not very pleasant and it does put some people off but with a very small amount of hotels in the town, some people tend to use it anyway. The owner only seems to make small talk and be more pleasant if he knows of you or your family.
As I said, I have never had a bad experience here but also I have not stayed here so cannot comment on the facilities!
I will however come back here to visit for functions and some day I do want to try out the suite's in the new section of the building.

Room Tip: Try the food, I doubt you will be disappointed!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Totalamnesia
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Thank you John and Elizabeth and all the staff especially Josie at breakfast , Helen housekeeper and Helen in reception and Karl in the bar. Wonderfull hospality , rooms very comfortable best sleep in weeks pillow top mattress so comfy, great views of the river Suir no floods tg.My home away from home .... Home was never so good. Excellent value great service. lovely welcoming complimentary tea and minella fruit cake on arrival, what a treat... And complimentary in theses days .... Lovely Roast Duck in the bar with a glass of wine .Staff so friendly , and give me directions every time I get lost in Clonmel. Can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: King beds great
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed February 1, 2012

In general I found this hotel to be worn and my room was not very clean.
The leisure centre also was not of a very good standard.

During my stay I brought a problem to the attention of staff, and spoke with a man who I believe was the owner of the hotel. This man was very rude and unprofessional in dealing with me and my problem.
I also found the food to be expensive and not very good.

I will not recommend this hotel, it is expensive, unprofessional and not worth the money.
The owner and staff need lessons in customer care.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
13 Thank RaineyDaz
hminella, Owner at Hotel Minella, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
RaineyDaz, Austria.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this review on tripadvisor.com.
There are some misleading comments in the review.
We challenge your UNVERRIFIED criticism.
We are under the opinion that this is a BOGUS review as no guest
of the description outlined stayed with us in Januray 2012
and voiced these opinions or brought problems to our staff
and owners.
We pride ourselves on our product , service and facilities and it is untrue to say that our hotel is worn.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 20, 2011

The hotel is just 15 mins walk to the heart of Clonmel and it's situated close to the River Suir. The main building (reception and restaurant) is built in Georgian house. The food is ok, hotel's staff, well, some of them didn't apper to me be very happy and friendly, esps. the owner/manager of the hotel.

Room Tip: Take a room overlooking the River Suir or Comeragh Mountains.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank AnnaKurcinova
Manchester UK
Reviewed November 23, 2011

After reading the contradicting reviews on Tripadvisor, I didn't really know what to expect at this family owned hotel. See pictures for more clarity.

The hotel is situated in a rural area, overlooking the river on the rear; but the lovely town centre of Clonmel is only a 15-20 minute walk away.

As we drove into the grounds it was clear that the hotel would not win awards for architecture. The original country house had been extensively extended at various times over the years: 60's style large wedding / function rooms on one side, 80's style remote gym and pool in the grounds and finally a 2000 style five storey bedroom extension.

On entering the reception in the original house, which was either dated or full of character, depending on you few point; I asked, based on Tripadvisor recommendations, for a room in the new wing. I followed the labyrinth of corridors and lifts to my room. On entering I was more than pleasantly surprised. The suite had a large separate seating area with L shaped sofa and flat screen TV, plus small table and chairs, made more welcoming by small touches like artwork on the walls. Coffee making facilities were provided.

Outside the balcony overlooked the river and had a hot tub, it was covered and it looked like an ordeal to get it functioning (plus the weather was cold), but different if not very user friendly. It did however take over the otherwise usable balcony space.

My bathroom had a further jacuzzi bath and a TV built into the wall, which worked well if you wanted to make use of a relaxing bath. I just used the separate shower cubicle with its poor shower head, cheap temperature regulator and door which wouldn't latch closed, so I ended up having to put towels on the floor to soak up the excess water.

The bedroom was large, had a king size really comfy bed with crisp white sheets and lots of pillows, plus a fridge, safe and bath robes. My third TV was wall mounted. The room had full air-conditioning.

I ate in the restaurant. The food was excellent and service attentive and personal. The bar area was dated and not particularly inviting.

I did not have time to see the pool and gym and had to leave before breakfast, which was disappointing as I wanted to give a detailed and balanced review. Sorry.

In summary, the new wing offered excellent accommodation, but for me the emphasis was on hot tubs, jacuzzi baths with TV's and gimmicks, when I would of simply preferred a shower with a door that closed and a tap that let me regulate the temperature adequately.

The acid test: yes I would stay here again but can now understand why other reviews are so inconsistent, as its a place you either love or hate.

Finally, the service and welcome by all staff was fabulous and my experience totally differed from that of other reviewers which criticised the staff.

Room Tip: Get a room in the new wing.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonmel
Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa
#6 of 6 in Clonmel
Fennessy's Hotel
Fennessy's Hotel
#4 of 6 in Clonmel

Been to Hotel Minella? Share your experiences!