All reviews rooftop restaurant top floor stayed here sea view lovely hotel mini bar irish sea buffet style attending a wedding business trip breakfast is served comfy bed hotel bar next morning bar food plenty of parking waiting staff
Selected filters
Reviewed June 5, 2019

The room in this hotel is big nice modern with a great bathroom. The reception staff was very nice and helpful. Minus of this hotel is poor breakfast choice and over salty warm food. The bar staff was just terrible, I was waiting for 20 minutes to order while they were chatting with each other. If you are staying here don't go to the bar it is just waste of time.

Room tip: Don't go to the bar.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed June 4, 2019

We have no prime tier membership with IHG so we were not expecting the big luxury treatment. Upon arrival, I showed my Gold card (the lowest elite level there is to my knowledge) and got a voucher for two free drinks. Went to the room: high floor, lovely room and very spacious (it looked to me as it that room was equipped for wheelchair accesibilitiy as well). Had dinner in the 13th fl rooftop restaurant - great qualtiy and very friendly service again. Left early in the morning again. Parking outside free of charge as well. We enjoyed our time and were impressed with what we got for little money.

Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2019 via mobile

Perfect hotel for a short stay. Really clean, good-sized rooms. Staff were friendly and efficient.
Taxi into Dundalk town costs 7-10€ one way depending on time of day/company.
We didn’t have breakfast but it’s served in the rooftop restaurant which has a wonderful view of the surrounding areas.
View from our room was lovely as well.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 23, 2019

Dundalk is not the sort of place you would immediately think of as a holiday destination – yes - there are some pleasant attractions in the area but this is unashamedly a commercial hotel and is obviously aimed at visiting businessmen or people passing through on the way somewhere else. We had a little business to do in the area so we decided to overnight here. We are glad we did.

It is a typical Crowne Plaza in design – 10/12 story high - typical of the Brand. Its open plan in the reception area and our early check in didn’t phase them at all – we got into our Junior Suite (1201) earlier than the check in time. All very friendly and efficient. You can see the floor plan in my attached photographs.

Our room was on the 12th floor and was super – I would go as far as to say it was probably the best hotel room we have stayed in, in Ireland. OK – it was a modern suite but that’s not the point. Getting a fully functional room, which is up to international standards, is not an easy task in Ireland.

Everything you could want – extra pillows, good air-conditioning, fast and free Wi-Fi, the usual bathroom amenities, welcome chocolates and bottles of water, a functioning mini-bar (a real rarity in Irish Hotels), Nespresso Coffee machine, tea and coffee tray – it was all there as you would expect in any Crowne Plaza. We were truly impressed.

Unlike a lot of Crowne Plaza Hotels, there is no executive lounge – that’s a pity but fortunately we did not need one anyway this visit.

The rooftop restaurant (Fahrenheit) was closed during our visit so we had supper in the comfortable bar on the ground floor which was good. Super service from Shona and food that nobody could complain about. The usual beers are available but the wine list is a bit limited – not bad but limited. I had the beef bourgignon – fine. My wife’s fish and chips was passable, if a little dry.

We had breakfast in the roof-top restaurant – it’s a buffet affair and I’m afraid I have a few negative comments here but first the positives – they know how to cook breakfast eggs – it amazing how many breakfast chefs do not. The buffet selection was generally excellent and catered for most tastes.

The negatives - there were too few staff – Maria attended to us immediately, after a bit of discussion about payment for breakfast (we had prepaid), but a number of people had to wait some time to be seated, as the Servers were busy with customers. The breakfast needs somebody to greet guests, rather than double up as a server.

The plate warmer was not functioning so the food plates were cold. All my reviews of Irish hotels buzz with this problem – when will chefs realize that hot meals need to be served on warm plates. Furthermore (and I’m sorry to say this) the main dish plates were not properly washed – the top three plates on the pile were actually food stained.

My tea, served in a thermos flask, had obviously been made some time prior to serving, as it was lukewarm and “stewed”.

The sausages and bacon in the buffet display were almost completely cold.

As you can see, all my downers relate to the Breakfast – otherwise this hotel is excellent and I cannot praise them enough for providing this surprise for us. We will be back.

Room tip: Try for the 12th floor - better rooms but at a price.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2019 via mobile

Up grade to Royal Suite but too big for one person
Has a lovely long bathroom and shower
Separate dining area and lounge
Hotel is good and seems getting busier
Bar is ok but high staff turnaround
All food served here in the week

Trip type: Traveled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2019

Hello Dkkeeling,

Thank you for choosing and for leaving us a candid review. I am delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay. We help guest recharge and be inspired and I am glad that you had a room upgrade. It is always great to hear positive feedback as it helps motivate us more in providing the exemplary guest experience.

We appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

All my thanks,