“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Dundalk
Ireland
“Excellent”
Reviewed March 12, 2010

Stayed again in the Hotel about four weeks ago. I now use this Hotel anything I have to stay in the area.

When I booked in before I gave my name, the staff welcomed me by name. I was amazed, the explained I was their last guest booked for the night hence they knew the name. Yes it is a small point but shows attention to detail.

I mentioned that I was breaking my trip travelling the lenght of the country and I was give a upgrade to a bigger room in a quite area of the hotel to help me get a better sleep.

It is small things like this, that makes the hotel stand out in service.

This hotel has won my loyality and trust me that is not something elesly done.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Crouch End MusHill London
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Stayed one Friday night and was really impressed with the room (great value for Euro 69 - king bed, bath and shower, fridge, great views of the sea - quiet .........no complaints at all). Had lunch and dinner at the hotel plus breakfast the next morning and the food was excellent at all times as were all the staff from the reception staff to the bar staff to the restaurant staff on the 13th floor. Everyone was friendly, polite but never instrusive or overbearing. Service was spot on. Everywhere was spotless and well looked after including the loos!!!. Location was perfect. Easy to find, no problems with parking and short distance from Dundalk and from the lovely coastline and mountains. A few families were there when I stayed and they seemed to be enjoying it and relaxing and being well looked after. I would highly recommend this hotel - great value for money - great service and as Arnie said.......I'll be back.

• Liked — Quiet and spotlessly clean - great bed!
  • Disliked — not applicable
  • Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ireland
Reviewed January 28, 2010

We had our wedding reception here is Sept 2009, mainly because we had been to a wedding here ourselves the previous year, and also because we had guests coming mostly from Dublin and from Belfast so it was roughly halfway and convenient to the motorway.

We had a fantastic day and would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone having a formal celebration.

All of the staff were great, in particular our event manager who helped so much with all the planning and also the manager on duty on the day who made sure everything ran like clockwork. We felt that we were looked after so well, no request was too big or too small.

The food was fabulous, and all of our guests commented on the wonderful meal and also on how attentive the staff were. It made such a good impression.

We stayed in a suite on the 12th floor with stunning views, lovely comfortable bed and everywhere spotlessly clean. Breakfast is in the restaurant on the 14th floor, again with stunning panoramic views of the entire area. The choice for breakfast was great and the cooked breakfast in particular was lovely.

If you are considering holding an event here, I would definitely recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Nigeria
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Stayed here for a week on business+leisure with my wife and 3yr old son. Twin family room was on the small side but otherwise perfect with great view. Check in was swift, the room spotless clean (no slippers or robes?). We were delighted they had many childrens tv channels! Breakfast was exceptioally good and Chef cooked up pancakes and porridge every morning (thanks) the sauasage was great & the bacon had to much salt and I avoided that. We had breakfast in our room (continental) as we had a 5am departure and it was good. But i think you should drop the tray charge thing. The bar menu could do with more traditional meals added. Staff were very helpful but I could see they were very pushed and perhaps understaffed, particularly on Sunday in the bar. We enjoyed it and will be back for sure, and thanks to Sebastian and all the team for your friendly approach, WELL DONE ALL... keep up the good work!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Myself, husband and three young kids (2,5 and 8) all stayed over the 26th December as we were visiting family and this was the easiest way of doing it. The price was an amazing €99 for ALL of us Bed and Breakfast for the night. I didnt write this review until I received the Visa bill as I could not believe that they really meant it! But they did. OK we were all in one room but everyone had their own bed space as it was a big enough room with 2 double beds and a travel cot for the baby. Not that she slept in it but that is not the hotels fault. The room was nice and modern as the hotel was built in the last few years. It doesnt look too pretty from the outside because it stands (Very)alone and is 14 storeys high. The height became a real plus the following morning when we had one of the nicest buffet and service breakfasts that I have ever had in a hotel in the restaurant which is on the 14th floor. Truly spectacular view from up there. Even though billed as a buffet they kept offering to get the chef to cook up something if we wanted something that wasnt there. They had mentioned kids breakfast menu so I was expecting a retricted menu for them but they were offered exactly the same as us and they lapped it up. All of the staff were great and very friendly. I will defintely stay again - and at that price they have put paid to staying with the in-laws much and all as I love them!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed October 16, 2009

My wife and I stayed for two nights as part of a wedding function. Thanksfully i can say we had a very pleasant stay and the standard of accomodation was high and modern. The breaksfast was excellent offering all choices including lovely fresh crepes. No leisure centre however. I would recommend this hotel for those who have access to a car only. It is not a comfortable walking distance from town. An excellent location as a halfway point between Belfast and Dublin for large events or corporate functions.

Only downside was the system of booking. I was quoted a certain price for my stay over the telephone by the Crowne Plaza call centre. The impression is given that this cover both guests breakfast. For some idiotic reason it only covers one breakfast with the other to be paid for at the hotel for around €15 per day. Basically the quote is wrong. This grated with me as i hate when hotels do this. So basically when learning this via the confirmation email i had to ring back but it couldn't be changed because i had paid advance booking. To sum up i stated that under no circumstances would i pay it. When i got there on the first morning an attempt was made to charge and i resisted saying that the complaints department had promised i wouldn't be charged. This was agreed by a very sensible restaurant manager. Also well done to Brendan on reception. really made an effort!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We stayed for 1 night in this hotel recently as we were attending the races in Dundalk. It is about a 5/10 minute drive from the race track and is perfectly located.
The hotel is modern, comfortable and very clean. We had a king bed in our room and it was beautifully decorated with a very unusual lit headboard. The bathroom was spotlessly clean, with a large shower, bathtub etc. Toilitries were a bit sparce but you could ask for more if you needed them as there was a sign in the room.
Very quiet and could not hear any room from the corridor. No robes and slippers in the room was the only negative for me. Large flat screen TV, minibar and tea/coffee making facilities with biscuites provided. Had food in the bar area which was very good, usual bar food served until 9.30pm - restaurant closes around 9pm and we were too late for that. Food was served quickly and was hot and very tasty.
We were well looked after by the staff and would definitely eat there again.
Breakfast was good, not fantastic as it was very busy, we were heading away early and went down at 8.15am (only opens at weekends at 8.00am) and it was packed, we were lucky to get a clean table free by the window with lovely views of the sea. The staff were definitely under pressure (all 2 of them) as everyone who was staying must have arrived down at opening time.....but we had no problems getting what we needed and left satisfied. Did not use any of the hotel facilities like the gym but it looked good. It is also a very convenient hotel for shopping in the North of Ireland and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundalk
Carrickdale Hotel
The d Hotel Drogheda
The d Hotel Drogheda
#3 of 5 in Drogheda
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,155 reviews

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk? Share your experiences!