Glen Gat Guesthouse
    Darver Castle(Dundalk)
    Bellingham Castle(Castlebellingham)
    Four Seasons Hotel(Carlingford)
    View Hotel
    All reviewsinteresting antiquesb bfull irish breakfastplace to staystayed here for one nightgood sizetimfry
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed November 29, 2011

Coming down from Lerne on the way to Dubllin, we were nearing the end of our month in Ireland...1st visit. We happened into Dundalk on a late Sat. afternoon in Sept. looking for a B&B...we found GlenGat like an oasis in the dessert. Tim was a wonderful host and the room and accommodations were "first class". He sent us to The Windsor Bar and Grill around the corner for one of the best meals in Ireland. I had the roast saddle of rabbit entree. Dee-lish-us....along with a Puna Snipe '09 Cab Sauvg. Outstanding. The next morning Tim personally escorted us to St. Joseph's Church for mass after a scrumptious "Full Irish" breakfast at the Glen Gat. As far as I'm concerned its the only B &B in Dundalk.
    JIm Stark
    Grapeview, Wa. 98546
    USA

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
    Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed here with few friends,
    Very well located in the center of Dundalk.
    rooms are nice and clean and Tim was very helpful.
    Very nice stay!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
    1  Thank cedric061
    Reviewed October 16, 2011

I stayed here last night as a last resort as I was stranded in Dundalk after my car broke down.
    While the lady who checked me in was helpful she didn't work there all the time so she didn't know where the receipt book was, didn't know there wasn't a phone in my room (yet was telephoning me there)...no big deal. She asked me what time I'd like breakfast; I asked her what time it was offered at..."they don't like to get up too early on a Sunday morning" was her reply. "OK - so what time does it finish?" I asked. 10am was the reply. So it's starts at what time? "On a Sunday it's between 9 and 10" I eventually got her to confess. Jeepers! Breakfast as pretty poor; bad coffee, microwaved eggs. Wish I hadn't bothered.
    The room was small and on the street side of the building so there was a lot of traffic noise and the room was very warm. The bed was a good size but the mattress was one of the worst I have encountered in recent times. There was lots of dust. En suite bathroom was fine though with a good shower. Towels were old, hard and greying however.
    €40 for the room. Not terribly expensive but bad value for what it was.
    €25 would have been what this place was worth.
    Biut it got me out of a jam - I'm glad I wasn't expecting more; I would have been terribly disappointed had I taken someone here.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back, not near the road.
    • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
    knocknascrow, Owner at Glen Gat Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2011

I just saw your review on Trip Advisor and was very dissappointed with the content.
    Due to extenuating circumstances, I had to go home for the week-end; the lady who stepped in to look after the Guesthouse is not a regular employee and was therefore not fully familiar with the running of the business. Our breakfast is always served between 7.30 and 10 am (10.30 0n Sundays). When requested we will gladly give earlier breakfast. I can only apologise to you for the unsatisfactory experience that you had with us. It is very important to me that all who visit us enjoy their stay; it was remiss of me not to have well informed staff in my place at the week-end. I will address the points that you raised in order to improve our service in the future.
    Just 2 points of explaination-(1) we have 22 bedrooms in all and if you had requested a quieter room to the inner/rear of the building, it would have been available to you; (2) the matresses on all the beds are Kigncoil, Clud4 Hotel beds and are of very high quality, we often get very complementary comments about them.
    I regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us and hope that sometime in the future we may get the chance to welcome you back here. I thank you for your constructive review and although it is bad for my business while it is on TripAdvisor- I will use it as a reminder that although practically all our customers are very happy to stay with us, we cannot afford to drop our guard and get complacent.
    All the best to you in the future, I hope that you you got your car problem sorted and got home safely.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

A warm welcome,they waited for us at the bus stop!
    Interesting building,several roomscould be used by the guests.
    Not big-but nice rooms. Very friendly hosts.We learned a lot about Ireland,language,politics and history.All presented by our host.
    Quiet,even if it was in the center of Dundalk

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed June 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed 2 nights at the Glen Gat Guesthouse and found it most enjoyable. The room was perfect as was the ambience of the guest house itself. The location was perfect and Tim's recommendation of a place for a night out/dinner was excellent. We had to catch an early train from the station which was not that far away but Tim insisted that he take us there in his car. We had a very very enjoyable stay and would recommend the Glen Gat to anyone. Pity we live in Australia as we would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family