“a bit disappointing”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Dundalk
Belfast
“a bit disappointing”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

As part of a family break over the Easter break we stayed in the Imperial Hotel, on this occasion we were given 2 rooms at the side of the hotel, we didn't get to sleep until about 3 in the morning as the night club was so noisey with young ones coming out and hanging around the hotel. Apart from that our rooms faced onto waste ground which had rubbish and suites of furniture dumped in it, it wasn't very pleasant to look at. I must say I am put off going back again, to be honest there wasn't much I could say good about the place. The staff were pleasant but in my opinion the hotel is understaffed. This is a real shame as Dundalk is a lovely town and the fact that the hotel is right in the centre of the town is an appeal to me. The television had about 5 channels and what does surprise me the bedrooms don't have wifi. I wish I could have given a better review but I can't on this occasion and I'm not sure whether I would go back again sorry.

Room Tip: The higher floors would be quieter as I have stayed in them before.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
County Galway, Ireland
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Girls on reception were amazingly lovely! So friendly and genuinely cared about my stay there! The reception area is lovely, looks really new and freshly done up. Upstairs is a different matter, shabby and in need of some tlc. Room was spotless though, couldn't fault the cleanliness! Tv and wifi didn't work which wasn't ideal when I had work to do. Mattress needs to be changed or flipped as it has a dip in the middle. Breakfast was standard hotel stuff, fry or cereal no fruit. But again staff were lovely! I would go back but only because the girls were so fantastic!

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Hellie B
Reviewed April 13, 2014

A group of us stayed in the Imperial hotel last night. I have stayed in some great hotels around Ireland but I never got the warm Happy reception until we stayed in the imperial hotel. Jackie at reception was brillant she is so welcoming and we where not the first to notice as people where talking about her this morning at breakfast. The rooms where clean breakfast was great. Ok there is noise at night until the nightclubs are over but you are in the centre of town. Would recommend for a good night out. And again to jackie and the staff Thank you for a lovely stay we will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I was down with work, couldnt get much sleep. ideal for a wild night and crashing at 4am in the morning as it is so noisy. Had to run bath for 15 minutes for hot water,No working tv, no wifi in rooms, breakfast was ok, some staff could be friendlier. view out the window was shocking.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Dundalk hotels

Belfast
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a night in the Imperial and can say that we had a fab time. I would not only go back but would also highly recommend the Imperial for the staff helpfulness and friendliness alone. So thank you to them for a most enjoyable time.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Absolute hole stinking noisy the food awful staff not friendly bar opened all nite smelly no proper parking fights outside music rubbish said they had wifi but it wasn't working the weekend was ruined wouldn't stay there again if you paid me

would rate it as 0

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maureen D
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed there with family group on a Friday. This hotel is rated 2 star but is so basic it should be only 1. It is very shabby and run down. Staff were friendly and helpful, but really, flogging an already dead horse. The rooms were clean and warm but the bed was not great and felt damp. There was a sign in the bathroom to "let the tap run for 5 mins for hot water to come through" seriously? The shower took 25 minutes for hot water to come. Disgraceful waste of water.
There is no food availabe other than breakfast. The food standard was not great. Breakfast was on to 11 but one of our group came at 10.50 and there was nothing left. She asked for bacon and egg but was told the chef said no, he was finished cooking! It was obvious we were all shocked at this and eventually a lady, dressed in her outdoor coat, came over and asked was there a problem. I had noticed this lady with a few other people moving around the dining room but thought they had come in for breakfast. But she said she would tell the chef to cook the breakfast. So, she must be a manager/owner, but being on duty in outdoor clothes is unprofessional, but at the same time there was nothing professional about this hotel.
The younger people in our group were disappointed to find the nightclub closed.
Some serious overhauling to be done here if this place is to continue as a hotel. I would be mortified if a visitor from outside Ireland came to this hotel. The website says it has had a refurbishment - well a trip down the corridor and the state of the bedroom doors contradicts this.
Would not recommend it and would never stay again.

Room Tip: Avoid this "hotel"
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank MargaretD47
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundalk
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk
Canal Court Hotel & Spa
Westcourt Hotel
Westcourt Hotel
#2 of 5 in Drogheda

Been to Imperial Hotel Dundalk? Share your experiences!