“kip.”

The Market Bar
Ranked #14 of 99 Restaurants in Dundalk
Cuisines: Bar, European, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dundalk, Ireland
“kip.”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I visited this 'restaurant last Saturday afternoon with friend to try a tapa selection. I sat at front table beside window looking onto street. No one approached us with menu or greeting. I was feeling chilly and had to approach bar to ask for the menu and to be moved to a warmer area. The 'waitress' explained the window area was drafty. The lighting was dim as was the food and service from start to finish. I ordered the vegetarian tapas with chips and a diet coke. I was then presented with 2 tiny risotto balls on a smeared breadboard with about 5 leaves of salad.There were 4/5 fat chips in a mini deep fat fryer contraption. I was crestfallen. The tables were very close together and kitchen area far too close for comfort, especially when the 'waitress' was speaking loudly to 'chefs' within. Well I paid the bill, after seeking out the two waitresses, hidden around the corner and myself and friend left determined never to revisit this place. Decor very poor and had no charm or atmosphere. cheers !

• Visited March 2013

Dundalk, Ireland
“Great ambiance - we loved this place”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great evening right beside the newly renovated market square in Dundalk town centre. Cant wait to go back.

• Visited February 2013
Dundalk
“Very poor. Needs a professional”
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I have visited the market bar several times for drinks on a sat night and its just not getting it right. The room is big and impressive. But the lighting is too bright the music is sow low It's not even atmospheric.
On my most recent visit I was told about this amazing chef !! and I was told to try his tapas. I did and I didn't rate it very high at all.!! I've had tapas all over world and its nothing like real tapas. But if its Irish tapas then I suppose it's a good effort. The bar staff are very unprofessional saved only by the owners daughter saving the day when it came to knowledge and service. I will wait a few months till they get there act together before I go back.

Dundalk
“Very Disappointed..”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

After visiting the market bar numerous times ( about 5) both myself and my partner were very disappointed to find that the Head Chef was on duty after we recieved the only food we have ever had to complain about, it was our first time trying the set menu and food was both not as described on menu and cold... It annoyed us more than normal because of how quiet it was that night also the Head Chef was standing at the counter all night in plain view of us and would of seen every dish that passed over the counter....

Have to say the regular barman/waiter is extreamly pleasant to deal with and very friendly. Hope they can sort out these problems soon as would love to have the experiance again of our first few times here..

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Lovifoodi
westmeath
“Bad service and bad food”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Dont know who writes these reviews but my experience in this so called bar was really poor. Firstly it took exactly 1 hour 10 minutes for our order to arrive. We were expecting something really special after such a wait but boy were we dissapointed.The chefs platter for 2 would not be enough for a mouse,tasted disgusting and we couldnt eat it,mushrooms, tomato sauce and 4 wedges.This i have to say cost12 euro,a complete rip off.My friend ordered spagetti meatballs. which were black and dry, sent them back but was still asked to pay.I have been to real tapas bars around the world but this was a whole new experience for me. In my opinion stay well clear.

• Visited February 2013