“Good improvement”
Review of Riva Brasserie

Riva Brasserie
Ranked #9 of 99 Restaurants in Dundalk
Cuisines: Irish, European, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located in the heart of Dundalk town centre within walking distance of great shopping and the main shopping attractions.This family run business is recommended by visitors and popular with locals. We can offer our guests the flexibility of a delicious bite to eat at breakfast, Lunch or Dinner or a a more indulgent al la cart dinning experience.GROUP BOOKINGS Family Occasions - Working Lunches - Christmas and New Year Parties. A superb choice of food and bar menus to suit every occasion and budget.From initial booking to service, our staff will work with you to create the perfect setting for your event. Riva Brasserie can cater for private group bookings of up to 90 persons seated.EXCLUSIVE PRIVATE DINING HIRE Exclusive hire of the entire restaurant is possible, this allows quests private use of the bar and dinning area for a special event, where the restaurant will be closed to the public.
louth
“Good improvement”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

I came here with my husband for lunch on bank holiday Monday. I probably hadn't been there in about a year before this and I was pleasantly surprised at some of the changes. All staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful and professional. Everybody seemed very busy. There is a brand new menu which is huge! There's around 6 fish dishes, meat dishes, chicken dishes, vegetarian dishes, breakfasts, starters salads etc etc! I'm not sure if they will be able to sustain such a large menu. It would be difficult having supplies of 6 different fresh fish in stock every day. I had fresh cod and chips and my husband had the homemade burger. He was informed upon ordering that the burger took 15 minutes to cook which was no problem for us. In the end it took over half an hour for the burger to come but again this was fine as we were in no rush and were happy to have a 2nd drink. My fish was beautiful. My only complaint was the skin was left on under the batter. I don't think anyone wants to eat slimy fish skin. The burger was also lovely. We will definately return again soon. I'm looking forward to going some evening for dinner now whereas before I wouldn't have considered it as it always felt more like a cafe than a restaurant.

Bernie M, Manager at Riva Brasserie, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hi & thank you for your kind review of Riva Brasserie on Trip Advisor.

We have been working very hard over the last while to refresh our brand which included a lot of changes, including our new menu, so we are delighted when people like yourself notice these changes!

We will pass your review on to our staff & hopefully we'll see you again soon.

Dundalk, Ireland
“Riva unrivaled.”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

On Tuesday March 11th my partner and I got married. It was a glorious spring day and a wonderful occasion on which to bring both our families and a few friends together to celebrate. After our ceremony in the Westcourt Hotel in Drogheda (not the most salubrious venue for a wedding but a lot better than the previous location of the County Louth Registry Office, which was in the Louth Hospital, just past Accident and Emergency), our wedding party headed back to Dundalk (to McGeough’s bar on Roden Place) for tea, coffee, or stronger, readying ourselves for the next highlight of ‘the big day’: our meal and subsequent ‘disco’ in Riva Brasserie on Earl Street.

I had discussions in the weeks before March 11th with Riva’s owners, Bernie and Tim Murphy. This was mainly because my partner and I are both vegans, and, naturally, we wanted to plan our menu carefully, while also making sure that the meat-eaters in our guest party of 20 were fully catered for. We had a simple way around the ‘morality’ of this shared meat/vegan menu, and that was: we would pay for anyone who selected the vegan option - but we would ask the meat-eaters to pay for themselves!

Around six, we arrived at Riva and were welcomed to a beautifully prepared table, bedecked with fresh flowers. On the blackboard, set into the centre of Riva’s back wall, were the words ‘Congratulations Jaki and Ciaran’ chalked in big letters. This thoughtful act set the scene for the evening ahead. A separate table was set beside our long table for the children of our party (they found this a lot of fun, and it enabled us adults to get down to the serious business of drinking and toasting and reacquainting ourselves with family and friends, some of whom we’d not met in ages, while some of our guests had never met each other at all).

Riva Brasserie is situated in the former offices of the Dundalk Democrat. The interior is chic and elegant, the colour palette subdued and subtle. There is a serious mood, an ambience to the place, which is perhaps due (in part) to the building’s previous life as a newspaper hub. Certainly, one gets the sense that the restaurant deeply respects its clientele. Having said that, there is also a real sense of fun about Riva, one which is also mature and smart. Such relaxed sophistication helped put our large group of diners instantly at ease.

Riva is not usually a vegan eaterie, despite its menu having numerous vegetarian options. Though when it came to our vegan supper, the restaurant’s Italian chef, Franco Liston, surpassed himself. Our meat-free and dairy-free option comprised a chilli-roasted vegetable soup to die for (it was difficult keeping our meat-eating guests away from it), followed by a delicious mushroom and onion tofu stack with asparagus and olive potato, which oozed fresh Mediterranean flavours, rounded off by a chocolate, mint and raspberry mousse that was creamy, rich and tasty. Not all the guests who took up the vegan challenge were actually vegan (surprisingly, out of 20 dinner guests only 7 opted for the vegan wedding supper), but all commented on how delicious this meal was. The meat-eaters of our group had a variety of options to choose from and most went for the slow-cooked pork belly with mixed vegetables. The prices for such illustrious fare were fantastic value at 25 euro per head, and this included several bottles of white and red wine. I doubt a comparable menu (and prices) can be found elsewhere in Dundalk – and I imagine one would be hard-pushed to find a similarly sophisticated venue at such prices in Dublin.

After our meal, which came with remarkable service, cordial and fast, we proceeded to dance the night away on Riva’s bijou dance floor. Our evening guests arrived around 9pm, and between ordering drinks at Riva’s well-stocked bar, they – and our core wedding party - were offered vegan snacks of sun-dried tomato arrancini and sourdough with mixed toppings, served with hummus, carrot and celery.

Price-wise, our wedding came in at a few hundred euro. And what a wonderful day it was. I would not have had it any other way, and I firmly recommend that anyone (whether vegan, vegetarian or carnivore) who is thinking of getting married in Dundalk, especially if going the registry office route, consider Riva Brasserie as their party destination of choice.

Riva is open seven days a week and caters for both daytime and evening diners.
www.rivabrasserie.ie

• Visited March 2014
Bernie M, Manager at Riva Brasserie, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hi Jaki, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of Riva on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to hear that your day went well & that you chose Riva to be part of it.

We will pass your kind words on to our staff & I'm sure Franco will be delighted with how impressed you were. It's all in a days work for this guy!!

Thanks again Jaki & hopefully we'll see you again soon
Dublin, Ireland
“High quality food”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Had an evening meal for 2 at Riva Brasserie in Feb'14. Food was extremely good, as was the ambiance and the service....very much enjoyed it. Very good value also. Would unhesitatingly recommend it to others.

• Visited February 2014
Bernie M, Manager at Riva Brasserie, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hi and thank you for taking the time to write a review for Riva on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed & hopefully we'll see you again soon.
louth
“Simply amazing”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I don't usually write reviews but felt I had to on this occasion because it is well deserved.

I was there last night celebrating valentines with my partner. We had been there before but the first thing that hit us was how fabulous the restaurant looked, a perfect setting for a romantic meal.

For my starter i had bruschetta and my partner had the grilled oysters and both were delicious! The bruschetta was just divine , a combination of fig and parma ham. i practically licked the plate clean!

Our main courses were as delicious as the starters , beautifully presented, but what really wowed the both of us were the desserts...they were sensational! The dessert I ordered was the shortbread biscuit with vanilla cream. The myriad of flavours blew me away! The combination of the strawberries infused with balsamic and the creaminess of the cream with the texture of the shortbread was just...OMG!

Well done chef!!!

Overall we were entirely blown away and would have no problem recommending going to Riva for a spectacular meal.

We will definitely be back.

• Visited February 2014
Bernie M, Manager at Riva Brasserie, responded to this review, May 5, 2014

We are delighted that you enjoyed & hopefully we'll see you again soon.
“Excellent value for money, attentive service.”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Just back from a lovely meal in Riva. Myself, partner and 12 year daughter arrived around 7.20, place was busy and even though we didn't have a booking we were immediately shown to a table. We choose from the set menu which was €20 for 3 courses and our 12 had a very generous portion of pasta and chicken from the kids menu. There was a bit of a delay between starters and main course however a bar man brought a complimentary bottle of beer for me to the table and apologised for the delay explaining they had a large number of walk ins without reservation . Given we didn't have a reservation we were happy enough to wait. Excellent value for money, lovely food and attentive service. Bar man even took time out to allow our daughter show him a card trick even though he was very busy. We will definately be back

• Visited January 2014
Bernie M, Manager at Riva Brasserie, responded to this review, May 5, 2014

We are delighted that you enjoyed & hopefully we'll see you (and your daughter for more card tricks!) again soon!!