“fantastic service throughout our stay in beautiful hotel and surroundings.”

Ballymascanlon House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Dundalk
Reviewed November 26, 2010

My husband and I choose this hotel as the venue for our wedding, having been let down by another, and without having ever eaten or stayed there... We and our immediate family stayed for the full weekend and it turned out to be a fantastic venue... the service and care shown to us and all our guests was second to none, the food was consistently of high standard and there was plenty of it. Our room was very spacious being the bridal suite , we found our families rooms of similar standard. Every thing you would expect in a four star hotel and more...Set in woodlands and with its own golfcourse, it was an escape from the hustle and bustle and had a walk to a dolmen on the grounds! Pool was great, outdoor hot-tub was the best and sauna followed by ice bath was not for the faint hearted!... Found the bar area dated in decor but food, drink and staff made up for that. Prices very reasonable for what you get and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed October 21, 2010

Stayed here 1 night after attending a wedding. The function room, food & service were all first class, at the wedding.

The problem was with our room & breakfast. The room was generally tatty with cracked plaster & peeling paint on the walls. The carpet was dirty & stained & the bedding was tired & worn. Saying that, the bathroom was good with a seperate shower & bath. If only the bedroom met the bathrooms standards. We must have been situated in an old part of the hotel as our room did not look like the internet photo's?

The breakfast was a buffet type. The staff were very slow in replenishing the food trays which ran out of food, so people behind me had to wait on mushrooms, black pudding & bacon as I had taken the last cold dregs in the base of the trays.

At 150 Euros a night, not value for money.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tigertribal
Reviewed September 26, 2010

we stayed at Ballymascanlon House Hotel for the fourth year running, excellent food, staff,and golf,cant wait to go back next year.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I cannot recommend this Hotel highly enough – it is a lovely Hotel to stay in for a weekend or to go to on holiday's and an amazing Hotel to have your Wedding in. We had our Wedding in the Ballmascanlon Hotel last October 2009. The service we received from the Hotel was amazing. I used to work in Event Management and have worked with alot of Hotels while organising Corporate Events - no hotel I have ever worked with before compared to the Ballymac. The management and staff were so helpful in the lead up to the big day and on the day itself. The Hotel is run in such a professional manner. The function room is perfect for weddings or large corporate functions. We had many trips up to the Ballymac before the Wedding and each time we ate while there! The food is amazing in the bar, in the restaurant and on the Wedding Day itself. The grounds of this Hotel are also beautiful and there is a lovely walk to a nearby historic Dolmen. They are perfect grounds for wedding photos. There is also a lovely swimming pool and golf for those who want more activity! The bedroom's are very spacious and beautifully decorated. They have a few bridal suites and we were given a choice of which one we wanted - they were all beautiful but we picked one in the old part of the Hotel. The room had a separate living room and huge bathroom - it was perfect. We also stayed in the hotel when we went up to sample the food for the wedding - our hotel room on this occasion was also lovely. It was in the new part of the Hotel and we couldn't get over how spacious the room was. All my friends and family also commented about the room's after our wedding and thought they were decorated to a really high standard and were so spacious. Everyone seemed so impressed with this Hotel. The Ballymac Management and staff helped make our wedding day the most perfect day ever and we loved every minute of our time in this Hotel. It is also an easy commute from Dublin (about 50 mins) and very easy to find the Hotel. I look forward to returning to the Ballymac on our anniversary every year!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2010

I recently stayed in the exceptional Ballymascanlon Hotel, which was an absolute pleasure. The food was delicious and the room elegantly decorated. I was there to present a seminar on social media marketing to 200 people, which required a lot of focus on my part. Therefore, it was important to me not to have to worry about the logistics involved in running a seminar. The hotel rose to the occasion. The General Manager, Chris Brayden, personally took care of the seminar room and all technical requirements (internet access, microphones, projector, screen, etc.) ensuring a stress-free experience for me. The technical facilities were of the highest standard. Afterwards, I enjoyed a tasty lunch on the sun-drenched patio. I highly recommend the Ballymascanlon Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 6, 2010

What a dire experience! Stayed at Bally Mac for two evenings and just could'nt wait to leave. Stayed in the traditional part of hotel, as requested. TIny and very dated bathroom, no robe, no slippers, no mineral water. ( good housekeeping ) However, my main bug bear is, NO SLEEP. This is a hotel which depends on its wedding trade, fair enough, but when the party continues outside my window, in the hotels terrace area at 5.30 am, I sadly begin to loose my sense of humour. It really was IMPOSSIBLE to get any shut eye. ( and no, I am NOT a light sleeper) I have to be fair and say I was warned this was a noisy room ( apparently there are three, particularly noisy rooms ) and I was offered an alternative in the contemporary, quiet wing, which sadly, I did'nt like. I took a chance, and came out the looser. I heard every boisterous bellow from mid night to 5.30 am on both evenings. Management are aware of the problem and do not wish to spoil the look or feel of the place, by installing a glass panel which would assist with sound proofing of the especially loud reception/hallway. This is a family owned hotel, managed by the same family member since the 60's and it shows! This hotel could do so much better, it just looks and feels tired and sloppy, and if you arent attending a wedding it would be almost impossible to see its charm. On a positive note, did I mention the fabulous grounds?

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank Marchmain
Reviewed June 16, 2010

been to a lot of weddingsin this hotel but the one thats stands out is my uncels wedding... they couldnt do enough to help him and his wife even putting up with his bizarre requests ... He is an utter perfectionist and even he was happy the hotel has great grounds for photos and a great layout for the ballroom/bar .... the onlyproblem was it ended to soon ... just like al the weddings and family celebrations ive been to in this geourgus impressive hotel...

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundalk
Carrickdale Hotel
Canal Court Hotel & Spa
Oystercatcher Lodge
Oystercatcher Lodge
#2 of 2 in Carlingford

Been to Ballymascanlon House Hotel? Share your experiences!