“Great Place”

Cuisines: European, Irish, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Been here a few times gorgeous food lovely presentation of the food when it comes out. Always busy. Prices are a bit steep though

ronaldo007, Owner at Fitzpatricks bar and restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for your review glad you enjoyed your meal, we do offer a set €25.00 menu of four courses which you may find good value if you decide to call in again. Thank you very much for your custom.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Had a beautiful meal ,wonderful service, great value for money,
There was a lovely homely feel to the place, roaring fire in the hearth, could have got very comfortable on the couch.

1  Thank DublinMog
ronaldo007, Owner at Fitzpatricks bar and restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for your very kind comments, delighted you had such a nice time with us, its good to hear every comment hope we see you again.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

fabulous food and HUGE portions - good value for money - excellent service and the grounds are so well kept - always gorgeous - even during winter!!

ronaldo007, Owner at Fitzpatricks bar and restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you very much for the review we are glad to see in this day and age that you are getting value for money we will do our best to keep up the good work and hope we see you again at Fitzpatrick's.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have been in Ireland seven times the past ten years and have been to many places to dine at and most were fine but Fitzpatrick is in a league of its own. Pulling into the parking lot told me that this would be a special experience. The whole outside is covered with wonderful items from English phone booths , a Irish kissing rock and a dog walk too. Walking into the place the roaring fireplace warmed my body and the food that followed warmed my soul. Each course was better than the next. My daughter who never ate mussels in her life, was drawn to it and almost finished ours herself. The steaks are incredible. Even the bathrooms are beyond anything you will see in Ireland. There is even a you tube video of the lady's room.If you are anywhere near this part of the country run do not walk to Fitzpatrick's !!!!

ronaldo007, Owner at Fitzpatricks bar and restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Delighted you enjoyed your visit to Fitzpatricks thank you for your lovely review, we love hearing such good responses from our customers, We do our very best wheater it be with the decor or the food, to make your visit more memorable, We look forward to serving you again please god in the future.

Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Had Sunday lunch today, first visit of this year. Had been there about 20 times last year. The food & food choice is always superb. Today for example I had seafood chowder with wheaten bread and my wife a chicken spring roll for starters. Both were first class. The chowder is the best I've eaten and I've eaten in a lot of places and have the figure to prove it. This chowder is stuffed with mussels, cold water prawns (much better than the warm water ones) and small scallops - on other nights I have chosen the half dozen oysters with a glass of Guinness and wheaten bread again superb. Now there were other starters today, for example, a seafood gratin but I can't move from the damn fine chowder. Overheard one of the hard working staff tell another guest that there were two other soups to choose from - so there has to be half a dozen starters. My wife declared her chicken spring roll as superb - again we've eaten in the best of places through Europe, USA and Asia and the food quality here is as good as the best. Mains, I had the cod, with properly cooked broccoli, sweet potato and a wonderfully light sauce, not a pretentious foam as in some places, and exquisite. The cod was thick, a large chuck startling fresh and perfectly cooked. Hake was also on offer but can't imagine who would choose this fish with cod on offer. Anyway my wife had roast beef - well done. Again superb. Oh I benefitted from the yummy light Yorkshire pud - aren't women on diets wonderful? The gravy has great taste but I'd prefer some English mustard powder added but that's personal taste. The mains were accompanied by cabbage with bits of ham, carrot and parsnip mash, roast and mashed potatoes. Now at this point in our lunch I decided I hate the owners - it has become a ritual as I always look at the sweet menu - their extensive choice of desserts is exquisite - hazelnut meringues, creme brûlée, fruit crumble and so on and we are at an age that we can't manage dessert. Even if we could, we keep thinking we shouldn't - if I live to 80 I'll curse myself for having missed all those lovely desserts. Other reviewers mention two points that I want to rehearse: price, well folks you must realise that quality costs a bit more and this reality combined with the freshness and generous portion size actually reflect real value for money. The other point is it being busy and some slowness of service and again it's always busy because its always bloody good and yes the car park is usually well packed. This is one of the best places within 30 miles of Dundalk. It's friendly, its relaxed, great selection of wines, beers and spirits. The owners make an effort to decorate at Halloween, Christmas and so on adding to the pleasure of being there - they get it - we want good food, we want quality we can trust, we want good service, we want a bit of Craic, we want a bit of fun and relaxation - they deliver the lot in spades. A sight of annoyance - we see cakes on offer at the door as we go in - no prices are displayed - wish they would. One wish; love to see them start to offer a range of home made real breads at the table with their scrummy wheaten. For us, my wife and I we live about 10 miles from this place and consider ourselves lucky - a year of fine dining and related pleasure awaits - minus desserts sadly!

2  Thank Newryone
ronaldo007, Owner at Fitzpatricks bar and restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you very much for your very well writen I might add letter, We try our very best to make everyones time a Fitzpatrick's enjoyable, and for someone to take the time out to write such excellent comments on our food, service and decor is great and very much appreciated. We look forward to serving you again in the future and hope that every visit is as enjoyable as the last.