“Great chicken stir fry!”

The Sportsmans Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #82 of 108 Restaurants in Dundalk
Cuisines: Irish, Steakhouse, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Nice country bar with good food and service. A great stop halfway between Belfast and Dublin just on the Irish Republic side of the border on the A1.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I may have been lucky, I ordered an 8oz steak but got something more like a 12oz. Steak was tender, pan fried, I much prefer chargrilled for flavour though but I could not complain about the portion sizes and also the free peppercorn sauce. Large oval plate with steak and onions and salad and a side bowl of chips. I left very full and satisfied.

1  Thank Mark M
thesportsmans, General Manager at The Sportsmans Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Yes molloymf! We have always been renowned for our steaks. Our goal is to provide you with the best local produce. We never disappoint a customer with a small portion! Our 'Sportsmans 8oz Slice' (a generous cut) is only €17 and comes with sauteed onions and chips or potatoes!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I travel from Belfast to Dublin regularly.
There is only one place I will stop to eat.
The Sportsmans is consistantly good.
I've just had the best Sirloin Steak ever, depite the fact that they had a bus booked in
and lots of local families dining.
The Menu has a good selection and the food is always fresh and tasty.
It is just off the motorway near Dundalk - watch out for the Ravensdale exits.

Thank you Susan! We always cater for large parties - usually buses travelling to GAA games or to the races. We make sure that tending to these customers does not upset others.
Remember, if your heading North, exit the motorway at Junction 18 (Dundalk North), and heading South exit at Junction 19 (Ravensdale). As we are located on the R132 parallel to the motorway, this will only add 1 minute to your journey! For full directions, please check out our website!

Reviewed April 14, 2012

just ok its a bit out of the way for me had arranged to meet friends there don't know if i would go back

Reviewed March 22, 2012

This place has become a little quiet since the new motorway opened so effectively the place is by-passed. The menu hasn't changed in years and whilst the food was grand (typical pub grub) I wouldn't be rushing to go again.

I probably will return but only if it was handy to where I was at the time...